• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Musings Of The TV Show "Doc Martin"

Just finished watching "Farewell, Doc Martin" on PBS. The last show depicting the behind-the-scenes of this longstanding production. Staggering to realize this show amounted to ten seasons filmed over 18 years. And to see all the logistical challenges of filming the show on location in Port Issac, Cornwall England.

Sad to see the show go, but looking forward to snagging the tenth season on DVD. :)

Forgot to mention that in watching this last final production of "Doc Martin", it was a poignant moment watching Martin Clunes and his wife (the producer) walking through the remains of the set that was once the surgery we all knew and loved. They really knew it would be the very last time being there.

And then to be again mystified that it suddenly occurred to me that in all the interviews and comments of the cast and crew, I didn't hear the word "autism". But then it also dawned on me to consider something I have come to understand from being here in this international forum. That the British seem to collectively process autism considerably better than their counterparts across the pond. Maybe in their minds such a distinction was never that critical given the nature of the production. Something for me to think about, in any event.

I'll always look back on this series with great fondness, though at times those interactions Martin Ellingham had with Louisa Glasson were downright painful to observe. Mostly because in part they reminded me of my own struggles with the neurotypical women I loved. Kudos for the writers and actors to project such social dynamics so accurately.

Leaving me to look forward to the last 10th season, as well as their Christmas Special briefly mentioned. Nice too that they all acknowledged the international audience that loved the show as well.

"Farewell, Doc Martin". :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom