• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Music and trivia

tkcartoonist

Tunes and Toons
I have an interest in learning obscure facts, especially about music. Example: the drummer from Voivod, Away, once performed on an album by Men Without Hats. The same Men Without Hats that made "The Safety Dance".

I also, in the last few years, have been making music, which is something I've wanted to do since at least middle school or before. Back in high school, I even designed a couple T-shirts and a mock album cover for a potential band that never took off.

Anyway, I didn't want to clog the "Any musicians here?" with my stuff, plus I thought I'd make things interesting by posting a fact or two that I know about either music or something else. I'll post a link or two below for my stuff.

Buskers bandcamp page

And this is a rough mix of a song I'm working on for the next album.

Kiss The Girl (Rough Mix)

Here are an interesting fact about the classic 80s cartoon Jem and the Holograms: Louise Dorsey, the voice actress for Jetta of the Misfits, is the daughter of the famous singer Engelbert Humperdinck.

I've got another: there was this group in the 60s called The Walker Brothers. They had a hit called "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore".

Later on, Scott (no relation to the former Wisconsin governor) had a long solo career, much of it went in a very experimental direction. Eventually, it culminated with him collaborating with drone metal band Sunn O))) in 2014, which also became Scott Walker's final album before passing away in 2019.

Mozart and Salieri weren’t actually bitter rivals as some people claim. At most they were friendly rivals that respected each other for their works. Salieri even taught Mozart’s son. Most of the legend about Salieri hating Mozart came about decades after a Mozart had died and a few letters he wrote about Salieri and his “trickery” but that could have been him describing a few innocent pranks and not much else.

Killing Joke has been one of my favorite bands for a long time, but not too many people are familiar with them. However, most of the members have had some interesting side activities over the decades.

Examples: frontman Jaz Coleman is a trained classical composer, being a composer-in-residence at least a couple of times. In the early 80s, he fled to Iceland, with wildly conflicting stories on why. Some say he went there to avoid the apocalypse, others say he was training to be a classical composer. Both are plausible, as while he has been called a lunatic in the past, he is also really smart. I mean, he is the younger brother of theoretical physicist Piers Coleman.

Martin Glover, aka Youth, has been a prolific producer for a long time. In addition to the Killing Joke albums when he was a member, he has worked with everyone from Howie Day to Marilyn Manson. In fact, here's a brief list of songs you may have heard of that he had some hand in: Howie Day's "Collide", The Cult's "She Sells Sanctuary", The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony", and P.M. Dawn's "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss". He has also collaborated with Paul McCartney several times in a project called The Fireman.

Paul Ferguson, in addition to being the drummer, became a sculptor and art restorer during the twenty year span that he wasn't part of Killing Joke.

I could go on and on (like mentioning the late Paul Raven's extensive work with industrial bands, Dave Grohl's brief involvement in 2003, or when Martin Atkins of Public Image Ltd was very briefly the drummer), but I think I'll leave it off on this one: Killing Joke is one of Jimmy Page's favorite bands, even presenting an award for them back in 2010.

I've got another: take a listen to this little known '60s pop song by a band called Boss Blues

Now listen to this psychedelic freakout

Now, what if I told you that many of the same people worked on both? Would you believe me?

You reminded me of "As Slow As Possible", the John Cage piece designed to be played as slow as possible. There's a cathedral in I think Germany that has been playing this song for years, and will continue to do so long after we all die.

On an unrelated note, long before Ronnie James Dio performed hard rock and metal, he was doing doo-wop in the early '60s as a teenager.

More trivia from Jem and the Holograms:
Vicki Sue Robinson provided the singing voices of Minx and Rapture.
A young Ari Gold did Ba Nee’s singing voice
Gordon Grody, the singing voice of Riot has worked with Lady Gaga and Alicia Keys as a vocal coach.
Britta Phillips, the singing voice of Jem, is the voice of Bloberta Puppinton on Moral Orel.

They started it all, then A-ha came along with "Take on Me", they were number two. And the rest is history.
One thing that not many people know about A-Ha is that they used to be a prog rock band called Bridges, though with a different line-up. Two A-Ha members, Magne Furuholmen and Paul Waaktaar-Savoy, belonged to this band.

went to a Bar called the rock pile in Toronto, last night it was jam night for heavy metal lots of young musicians. I used to go see bands play before I got married 42 years ago just when a new genre was starting, now called 'thrash metal" missed the boat we just got married starting a family. So no more going to bars. my son now is into metal derived from this music. The first band in this genre was a band called "Anvil" I knew of them sort of. Now they are coming back into vogue never stopped performing for all these years. They are going to play at the Rock pile next week It should be like the 40 years never happened. We bough tickets should be fun Both the band and us going back to beginning. My cousin played the same Toronto circuit, they played 40 years ago. They got a second chance he is a hairdresser strange how life works.

New Threads

Top Bottom