• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Motivation comes and goes.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I feel like I always should be moving forward. But my brain and body are both telling me to rest my sore and tired body, and I am worried that one day off will turn into one week off and then some.

Constant motion removes thoughts of liquor from my head.

It sounds like you are in recovery, if so please disregard anything I say that isn't inline with that, I'm not very knowledgeable about that.

But in general I don't think the goal of constant motivation or constant forward movement is either attainable or positive.

Everyone needs rest from time to time, and Neurodivergent people tend to need more then neurotypicals, because it's hard enough for us to just live in a world designed for them, much less be successful in it. That's exhausting.

I can do anything for a little while, but if I go full throttle for too long I'm guaranteed to end up in burn out and that's when I have the hardest time with psychological issues. So if I was working on keeping my thoughts away from bad stuff, I'd try to do the opposite and schedule some downtime with my special interests and comfortable sensory environments.

If you need something in your thoughts but still need a physical rest try a few different restful but thoughtful activities like: reading, drawing (Neurographic is a mandala type drawing activity I just discovered that doesn't take any real skill but let's you focus as much as you want for a short time or long time and ends up with pretty cool looking doodles) video games, photography, people watching at a cafe or park (can be thoughtful if you make a game out of it by making up back-stories for people or if you consciously practice understanding body language or interactions) yo-yo or any of the indoor skill games like that, cooking, fishing can be restful depending on the style.

Whatever you do, I hope it has the outcome you desire

For me, I decided my life was more important than the corporations that would profit off my death.
I believe that after I die, I want to be cremated and have my ashes dumped from an airplane while It’s Raining Men is playing.

I feel like I always should be moving forward. But my brain and body are both telling me to rest my sore and tired body, and I am worried that one day off will turn into one week off and then some.

Constant motion removes thoughts of liquor from my head.
Do take care of yourself. Exhaustion goes beyond being tired, it can seriously damage you. You won't know until it's too late. Respect the feeling of tiredness.

"Goes with the territory" if you have chronic clinical depression. Where sometimes all you can do is wait it out until you feel more productive. And that if you do have it, hopefully you can begin to learn the signs of whether your depression is ebbing and flowing. Mostly so that you can also learn to cut yourself a break, as "you're only human".

Something both me and Billy Joel know well. To "catch that second wind" when you're up to it: ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom