• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Moths are drawn to me??

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
I'm not sure why this happens to me but I used to scared of moths as a kid because I used to think they were some kind of nocturnal wasp or hornet or something (I didn't realize they don't really hurt people), nowadays I don't really get scared, just startled. But whenever it's night time, at some point some nights a moth will fly right past my face, zip around for a second and hang out somewhere near me. It's never anywhere too far away; I always see them land somewhere next to me. And it's not just when I'm alone, either; even if I'm out hanging with family in public, and it's at night, I always see at least one and it heads for me first....

So, what's going on here? Is it a spirit animal? A guardian of some kind? Does it have anything to do with me in particular? Do I attract them somehow?

What does a moth symbolize anyway?

Same deal with mosquitos, moths are attracted to both scent and heat. To a creature that also sees in infrared mammals are bright lights, if nothing like a candle is around humans are the brightest thing in the room.

The scent is a different story, moths feed on sugar. Nectar, some fungals, some flowers, some other insects. If you wear a scent or have a natural scent that is on the sweet side that might explain it. Mosquitos are attracted to a different type of scent, particularly the smell of feet.

Moths are very interesting creatures. They are so common that their is a variety of symbolic meaning attached to them depending on culture/region. Here’s a few snippets…
Since moths are found wherever human lives, they are subject to mythology and the spiritual belief of many cultures.

These insects have been around for over 190 million years; hence it is safe to say they have pre-moral wisdom in their DNA. We need their wisdom to abundantly and successfully navigate through life. Like many other spirit insects and animals, they can guide us in every area of our lives.

Moths are inquisitive creatures well known for flying in a cloak of darkness and still very much attracted to bright light. The presence of a moth can give a mixed feeling of uneasiness and wonder. They are mysterious, and it can be hard to specify what they mean when they visit you, what they mean spiritually, or what their intention means.

These winged creatures can represent intuitive discoveries, inner wisdom, hidden knowledge, and transformation….

…Moths are known for their short lifespan. They live from one month to six months on the earth, depending on their specie. Whenever you come across a moth, it has come to remind you to seize the moment and maximize every single opportunity that comes your way.

I suppose if moths fluttered around me a lot, I'd take it as a sign of flattery or being "one with nature." The insect that loves me, that will travel an hour just to be near me, is a tick. I'll gladly trade that for a moth any day!

The insect that loves me, that will travel an hour just to be near me, is a tick.
A fun game I played with my sister when we were little. Some creeks have leeches, wear your sneakers and stand in shallow water and see who can get the most leeches sucking on their shoes.

Moths are inquisitive creatures well known for flying in a cloak of darkness and still very much attracted to bright light. The presence of a moth can give a mixed feeling of uneasiness and wonder. They are mysterious, and it can be hard to specify what they mean when they visit you, what they mean spiritually, or what their intention means.
In the top half of Australia this is much more true of the ghost bats. So tiny, not much bigger than a moth, but they move so fast and they are so well camouflaged that you're never really sure if you saw something or not. That's why they're called ghost bats. You rarely ever see any more than a flit of movement in the corner of your eye.

In the top half of Australia this is much more true of the ghost bats. So tiny, not much bigger than a moth, but they move so fast and they are so well camouflaged that you're never really sure if you saw something or not. That's why they're called ghost bats. You rarely ever see any more than a flit of movement in the corner of your eye.
Sounds like ninjas.

We have a lot of fruit bats in Florida.
They are small and start flitting around everywhere at dusk.
People are annoyed by them because they like to nest and hang out in chimneys
clogging them up and sometimes getting into the house.
But there are professionals that can put a one-way door type thing on the chimney top. When they leave, they can't get back in.

There is the spiritual belief that if one flies close around your head or body and
touches you with their wings it is the mark of the Shamen.
I had it happen to me once and it is rare because bats don't run into things due to their sonar perception.
So, it is possible a moth may have some symbolic meaning.

@Outdated what he said about mosquitoes and moths is what I first thought of.
There is a certain blood type that the female mosquito can smell a mile away.
Type O.
I am A+. So, I don't have it. I know Florida has a lot of mosquitos, but it is ridiculous how they swarm to me.

There is a certain blood type that the female mosquito can smell a mile away.
After living in the tropics for a few years your blood gets thicker, or thinner, can't remember which way that goes. But once you have properly acclimatised many of the insects leave you alone. Tourists get frustrated with locals because locals aren't being constantly attacked like they are.

Maybe it's the same thing as bats do, if I'm wearing a white shirt and go outside late at night in the summer, bats swoop down and fly around me. They seem to be attracted to white or bright colors. The moth attraction probably has something to do with something they see or smell or feel. I'm sure there's a simple explanation for it.

After living in the tropics for a few years your blood gets thicker, or thinner, can't remember which way that goes. But once you have properly acclimatised many of the insects leave you alone. Tourists get frustrated with locals because locals aren't being constantly attacked like they are.
Thinner. Blood gets thicker in colder climates.

Maybe it's the same thing as bats do, if I'm wearing a white shirt and go outside late at night in the summer, bats swoop down and fly around me. They seem to be attracted to white or bright colors. The moth attraction probably has something to do with something they see or smell or feel. I'm sure there's a simple explanation for it.
It's probably that moths are attracted to you, and bats eat moths. You make handy bait for them.

My dog Ruby used to go mental in the evenings trying to catch bats, leaping up in the air and even doing backflips. :)

I daresay you are falling for confirmation bias only counting those times when a moth seems to interact rather than all the times a moth is near you but does not interact.

New Threads

Top Bottom