• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mom isn't being very supportive

Cinco

So I just had another "fight" with my mother, and by fight I mean I asked her about something related to my diagnosis and she goes on her usual rant saying stuff like: "you must get a second opinion from another doctor" "you have to get a proper diagnosis" "those people dont' know you" "you're not autistic you're just special" etc.

I have stated in my earlier post that my mom wasn't being very supportive toward my diagnosis and this is how she's always been ever since I was a kid before my diagnosis. Whenever a teacher or another caretaker asked if I was autistic she would always get mad with them and she actually made one of my driving instructor almost lose his job because he asked her if I was autistic...
having a serious conversation with her about this is just impossible for me because of the things It's as if she's thinks me being autistic is a bad thing, like she has raised a failure or something crazy like that.
And when I was a kid I never though about me being the way I was was a bad thing and to be frank, it never occured to me how "different" I was until I became a teenager. It only seemed like my mother thought me being so different was a bad thing, I talked about this in my introduction so I'm not gonna go into detail. In short; It never even struck me once that I might be autistic until I went to see a doctor myself as an adult

But to get to the point, I honestly don't think I can live with my mother any longer but I don't have much of a choice
I've been thinking about either asking my benefit office for help to move out of this house or talk to my dad. However I'm pretty sure my dad doesn't have any interest in taking care of his 22 year old autistic son considering he wasn't even there when I was a kid. And to be honest I don't think he's gonna be any different. And I also need a parental figure or caretake because I don't think I can be 100% independent just yet

I really don't know what to do and I would really like some advice

Thank you

From a young age my teachers told my parents that they suspected that I had AS and they stopped me from getting a formal diagnosis. I still haven't had a formal diagnosis, although it was raised again to me in college. i have been unsure of whether to get a diagnosis, but that is another story.

I don't think my parents would be able to accept a formal diagnosis, as in their heads they see everything as perfect and not the difficulties that I have. If anyone questioned any of my AS traits, my parents would just pass it off as "that's just how he is".

I hate to say it, it's a real unfortunate situation all around, but don't hold on to any hope that your mother will change her mind or that you can persuade her to. It seems like she has made her opinion very clear on the subject. What she's doing without realizing it is assaulting and invalidating your personal identity, if you indeed accept autism as part of your identity.

If you find that to be unacceptable, there are always options, it's a matter of identifying and seizing on them. From your previous postings I suspect you're outside the US, but if I'm wrong I'd be happy to help you navigate the benefit system to make those possibilities a lot more accessible and easy to navigate. I'm just really bored and chomping at the bit to do something productive ;)

Cinco, I don't have really any advice for you but I can say I recognize your situation. I have been around family members who cannot except what I am. I can give you a little hope in that I no longer have to deal with any of them.

hello cinco

I'll try to offer some advice. however, I do not know if it is helpful.
>

I. how I deal with it and stuff in general
II. advice / analysis

I. ]

I can relate to the parent problem in a way. so first this. for me it is my father, who has done much harm to me in upbringing. he has suffered severe childhoodtrauma and it still is visible today. I cannot show any feelings in front of him, he is dominant, bad tempered, intolerant and narcissitic. when I had my diagnosis finally after lifelong suffering, I tried to display this to him in a way so that he'd be proud of me, and I was not thinking of me at all, but how I could make him happy and love me. however, he disapproved all the same. still, I need his financial support, since I cannot cope on my own. sadly, although my mother loves me very much, she does not understand me either; so no emotional support there either - which is not her fault. she shows here love in other ways. when I was younger I did not understand this, I thought she disliked me as did my father. however, as autistics we do have problems gaining insight into other's feelings/thoughts/personality; to change our view on something, to take someone else's perspective. it was only at your age [26 now] that I started to try and understand my parents - and this always helpful, wether one is loved or not. the truth is: in most cases it is not 100% love, not 100% hate but something in between: parents are human beings after all, and as you still face problems beeing grownup so do they. that doesn't excuse them from proper and loving parenting, but understanding [which is not equal to accepting; and takes much time and self-understanding] offers to you to experience the viewpoint of your mother. this will help you get along with her, I am quite sure. more on that in [II]

now, when I was a kid I did not think anything was wrong with me - still, I was lonely and disliked by all. I did not like that - so I said to myself that the others were wrong. [in fact they were and still are] however, like you, this turned in teenage years through too much bullying, coming out as gay, and problems coping with life in general, and this has been going untill today - I think untill recently I have never ever shown my true self to anybody, which is very sad. in a way I started hiding and masking my true self as a kid already.

I became scared because I was different, and I did not want my parents to know that I couldn't cope with many things. it felt like giving up. that I did not do, and I haven't done untill today. I was, I am too proud to retaliate. this turned out to be a though but rewarding choice for it now is the most powerful source of self esteem possible. I endured a lot of psychological pain, some suicidal years, breakdown, lots of crying - and I did fine untill I was 15 or 16. it is typical that undiagnosed autistics become apparent - since it is time of puberty. after 15/16 my life became hell. out of nowhere.

I managed this on my own without anybody to talk to while working and studying full-time with above average grades. now, why do I say this - to show off? no, of course not =) I don't care about such things..

I tell you this, because I see also from your other posts that life isn't at all easy and rewarding for your, though you deserve much better. you are from a poor family, and few people recognize how much this impacts one's life. it is much harder for you than for the average person; more so being autistic. I, on the other hand, am from a rich family. I have been unhappy all my life, still - and I can tell you that happiness is a way of thinking not of posessing. I think you know that, anyway. in fact: you curriculum vitae is surprisingly similar to mine. about the army. well...you joined the army, because you heard that they fix your problems there. I had similar idea, but because I wanted to fixed, but rather because I liked its clear structure. yet, I knew very well that I would not get along well with the type of human who serves in large numbers in the army. this type is the same everywhere in the world in any army: not stupid, no - but a mind like a brick. it if it were not for your bad experience in the army I'd have a good laugh, I must admit, about your idea of getting fixed there - it seems very naive, and very much like something I would have done. completely headless: do as the others do.

inspite of all that difficulty, your attitude is remarkably straight-forward, hard-working, honest, modest and self-consciouss as well as self-supportive. I admire it greatly. I tell you all this about me, so that you keep it that way. however, you do not think much about thinking such. less even about what others think - probably you can't think of anything up that they could think. yet, humans are not as smart and kind as I always expected them to be, since I was oblivious of their internal motivations. point is: very often, most humans do not notice their own behaviour - in fact, they simply do as their intuition, that is their somewhat irrational mind, tells them to do to make them feel well.

and very often, feeling well includes some degree of bullying of others, as this makes the human feel superior in his self esteem to the one he is bullying. an asperger i.e. is the ideal object to be bullied, since he is easy to fool with. humans know that by instinct. they sniff it in the air and then pounce on you, sniggering.[^^ yes. vicious creatures, these humans]

though, very often the average human won't perceive his bullying as bullying at all, but as a perfectley acceptable behaviour - more so when in a group. humans are herd-animals. if you want to retaliate on someone - though morally it is inacceptable - see that you separate him from his group. my advice besides your matter here is to get reading about human and asperger psychology: a lot. you're smart, I easily see that. don't waste yourself being other people's punching sack.

autism or aspergers is a lot more than social function. it is a cognitive impairment, depenDing on what you want to do [today's job market] - or just different way of information processing in the brain. different, but not wrong.

see next post

Last edited:
II. ]

this second part is about understanding. of course, this isn't easy since I do not know your mother nor you well. therefore, the following is an assumption and no more. I do not wish to overstep any boundaries nor appear insensitive or offensive. in terms of evaluation: I am not a professional counselor - I am an architect by profession [still, because of my autistic impairments, I do not do well in the job market. so I am really poor myself. I live in one room large enough for a bed and desk, a stove and a tiny bathroom - so I know being poor =)]

However my hobby [or a matter of survival] is gaining knowledge, [since I don't have money to spend haha=D] and I guess I do know my way around well in many many subjects - such as philosophy, psychology, psychiatry, neurology, anthropology, computer science, engineering, physics, logic, literature, arts, design, film, poetry, history, language, acting, music, matters of politics and society... I have suffered severe trauma by being a undiagnosed autistic, and I nearly took my own life because of it. therefore, today [still with PTSD and poor] I do care very much about that the autistic and the neurotypical understand each other - and do not repeat the harm that has been done to me.

insofar: my analysis. the functioning of the psyche is logic. always [but: first try]. no offense meant. please be honest and say so if I overstep boundaries. also: I might be wrong. I have very little information about the situation.

now, I think your mother loves you very much [I hope you do, too!=)] and she needs you and she relies on you, I am quite sure. please take care of her! and you do, that is why you do so much work around the house - but maybe she can't quite express her love. I cannot say from what I know how it is, how it appears to you or to her. maybe there is something on her mind that is such a great weight pressing down her feelings - like depression. parent is parent, but human, too. like you. she has fears, feelings, needs, hopes, angers and sorrows. I am sure, your mother has suffered emotionally - like you - from having to raise you alone, as I understand it. abadoned by her husband apparently, left alone with a small child - poor. well. that is what I call hardship. despite her attitude towards you, I am sure she loves you - and I am at the same time sorry for her. it is not an excuse, though - it is understanding. now, everybody becomes a different kind of person when depressed, sad or exhausted or when enduring hardship. more so, if this is the status quo for many years.

you know that because you experienced it firsthand from childhood on... and I know too, since my parents have their own share of problems/disorders from their childhood after the 2. world war. [in Germany], and despite the money my growing up was very harmful to me.

now, there has to be a reason why she cannot accept you. more so: she violently denies any hint at the topic of autism. why is this?

> because she believes that autism is caused by failure of the mother to care for the infant - by being a refrigerator mother - which means that she believes she herself has crippled you by emotional abuse; by not being a good enough mother, which - if it were so - causes severe attachment trauma and severe personality disorders and life-lasting brain-damage. like my dad experienced. it is brutal. If she believes in this image of autism, it does not surprise me how she reacts. accusation of brutally harming your child, on top of all the hardship. in some countries this form of neglect is serious crime.

yet, in the 50s, 60s, 70s, yes well into the 80s this was how autism was explained: as attachment trauma caused by cruely neglecting mothers. real attachment trauma is a very, very serious neglect with extreme impact on the health of the neglected child. symptoms in early adulthood - your age - are suicide/suicidal thoughts, schizophrenia or psychosis, paranoia, emotional instability, severe pathological narcissism, life long depression, empathy-deficit, attention-deficit, incapability of love, cognitive malfunctiong etc.

yet: autism and attachment trauma look very much the same. many people think it is same, even today. many also think that autism is psychopathy. untill the 80s autism/aspergers was also considered as childhood schizophrenia. in any case: autism is in many societies a term of very negative attribution.

even today autism is diagnosed as attachment trauma personality disorder: borderline, antisocial or psychopathic, psychotic, paranoid, schizoid, schizophrenic. > because: it has not yet reached broad society nor the professional psychological/psychiatric world that aspergers/autism exists just by itsself without being anybody's fault. nobody knows about it. nobody knows what autism is. it is myth and legend to modern society. one would not believe it, but the stigma on autism is even today a very negative prejudiced one. maybe your mother wants to protect you from being harmed by this stigma. that is why she says special instead of autistic. you see: she does accept you - but not the term you are labelled with.

I promise you, though, if you had attachment trauma instead of autism you should experience a crippling personality disorder by now - plus feelings of extreme shame, guilt, unworthyness, shame, self-hatred, depression, lack of interest and joy, severe axiety, deep mistrust into humans, aggression ... to name only a few.

the autistic child [being notbody's fault] was therefore wrongly depicted as severly disturbed, psychopathic and potentially dangerous. the mother was blamed and shamed by society for cruel soul-murder and would never be respected again by anybody. probably she's loose everything, including her beloved son - since the child would be taken away from here and placed into a home for the mentally ill and insane.

so, that is the time were your mother was raised, I suppose. the stigma of mentall illness in these times was so bad that you could not speak about it. it had to be hidden, no matter what. the word
autism in those times was a you-know-what-word. the-word-that-must-be named. you did not mention it, ever. it meant exclusion, near to capital crime, public shaming, accusation of the mother of soul-murdering their sons, abandonement and hell.

as mother, the terror of finding your child autistic was near to unbearable. it had to be denied - it was matter so serious, that it easily explains your mother's attitude. in fact autism destroyed people due to the hatred that especially the mother received, the child too - while the child did not receive any help, but was regarded as disabled forever. autistics did not have any chance at all to life a good life. again, if this is the believe of your mother than it is no surprise the she thinks it is an insult, a threat to you and her. thus she denies it violently. simple. also, maybe she fears to loose you. or that you will find out this [wrong] neglect-cause for autism and that you will hate her. maybe she loves you so much that this word, in her perception, is dangerous because from her view it could destory everything - maybe she does know better. maybe she has friends who all believe in this prejudiced the neglect-cause - what would happen, if you everyone knew? what would people think of you and your mother?

I cannot answer that, but I tell you that Germany is very modern tolerant society; multicultural, gaylesbian,multireligous - but autism is a dangerous minefield. it is a blank spot the the consciousness of society.

now, I imagine you would like to be happy - you do wish that she loved and accepted you the way you are. yet, she doesn't and possibly this very depressing for you. I would be. I am in fact - similar situation. maybe, like me, in your heart you would like her to be happy, too.. maybe could be happy together and that all would be fine. this is not the case and that's a problem. this insight I have provided is a very typical situation. if this view on the topic is true for your mother - I might be totally wrong, of course - then it is a terrible burden for her, and a harmful case of misunderstanding causing great pain on boths sides. it is somewhat as if taken from the texbook, actually. therefore, if this the case [you will find out carefully, in a loving, sensitive, non-accusing way] then now you have the insight to solve this conflict for both sides, and you would free your mother of this misunderstanding. but please think carefully about what you do and say.

Hello Cinco. I just want you to know that you're not alone. Although my parents did support me when I sought help for depression back in college, they aren't big believers in my blend of ASD. They've suspected it since I was a kid, but they believed that if there was no formal diagnosis, there is no problem. Like you, I never got the support I needed when it could still do the most good.

My mom switches between being in denial, treating me like some special snowflake when it suits the mood, then outright saying "aren't you autistic? If so, you shouldn't care what I say" to win an argument. She tells me I can rely on her when I'm in despair, but when in the rare moments I actually take her up on her offer, she retorts, reminding me of her long list of illnesses and why I'm wrong to stress her out.

NT family members also have their issues and learned coping methods. They may find social situations easier to navigate, but that doesn't mean they're ever mature enough to handle situations in an involved way. It's as if their whole world crumbles at the revelation that their child is so fundamentally different from them.

Maybe your mom thinks that by saying you're special, you wouldn't feel less than those around you when in reality, it's as if she doesn't accept you as you are. Sadly, with us and NTs, there's just this giant communication gap.

Space is good, I think. While your mom may not be able to give you the support you're hoping for, there's no need to endure her attitude towards you any longer than necessary. Even if you can't move out yet, maybe you can negotiate a room somewhere with more privacy? Maybe ask for time to be alone, without interruptions so that you could at least enjoy stuff without needing to maneuver around her. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom