• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Molasses - A Miracle Drug?

No, I have never heard of using molasses to treat depression.
It could lift a person's spirits, for awhile, if there was a condition
of low blood sugar.

I used a spoonful of molasses to get myself accustomed to drinking
goat milk. Mixed in a glass of milk.

A tablespoon of molasses for depression sounds like the guy is
on the diabetic side. I don't recommend anyone scarfing a whole
tablespoon of molasses straight from the jar.

I've read about mineral benefits from Blackstrap Molasses. Though I'd be quite skeptical about it in treating depression. Not to mention links connecting molasses and depression seem to be quite scarce.

You would be far better off switching to sea salt, taking kelp tablets, and taking chelated magnesium (or even adding Epsom salts to your bathwater.) Also D3 (in oil) is a given for anyone in adulthood. There's some case histories which suggest those on the spectrum use more D than the average.

Mineral deficiencies are rife in a food supply that leans towards factory farms, and you can get quite dramatic results from supplementing.

One food that allegedly is an anti-depressant is grapefruit.

I use vitamin D, B-6, and niacin, partly to combat depression.

Also, I make St. John's Wort tea from the plants that grow wild
around here.

Yes. My Memere taught us to enjoy a heaping tablespoon of blackstrap molasses stirred into a glass of milk. Yum!

It does help combat stress.
Blackstrap Molasses Combats Stress & Promotes Healthy Skin - Dr. Axe

I think I feel better, and sleep better, taking this. Thanks for the reminder to pick some up!

Note: Fold a paper towel on a shelf in the fridge, in case any drips dribble down the jar. But then, I'm probably far klutzier than thou... ;)

can't imagine that molasses is harmful, so little risk and potentially good upside, can't see why you wouldn't try it - with one caveat though, if you are already on meds, i would not come off them just to give molasses a go, definitely not without consulting a doctor

I am mildly anemic, and chelated iron has worked wonders for me. Of course, I wouldn't quit any prescribed meds you're on, but there's really no harm in trying home remedies, as long as they're not that MIRACLE FAT BUSTING CUREALL!!! found in drugstores. Molasses is pretty strong, so be warned. Lacking Vitamin D can cause depression, especially if you live in a constantly cloudy area, since our bodies make Vit D from sunlight. This may be why people get depressed during winter. One thing that is constantly overlooked about depression is that many people who have SSRI's forced down their gullets actually have *situational* depression, which means something in their life sucks, as opposed to a chemical problem. Getting off one's butt and changing one's life is a lot harder than taking a pill, and far less profitable for Big Pharma, but it's something to look into.

Sounds a bit false to me but what do I know. I had a TA at collage who as constantly making diet suggestions which would cue m ailments. For example sea salt would cure my epilepsy.

A couple weeks ago I was going through a period of extreme funk. The reason for it is irrelevant to this topic, but it did put me out of sorts for a while. My best friend (and pastor of our house church) sensed there was a problem, so he asked. Fortunately, he knows well enough to leave me be until I've "sorted it out" and am in a place where I can discuss what's going on. I still didn't fully disclose the reason for my funk, but he did make a suggestion. Hence the title of this thread.

He suggested that when I get depressed that I should take a tablespoon of straight molasses. To begin with, I have no idea what molasses is outside of hearing it being used in baked goods and the occasional reference on Bugs Bunny. I picked up a jar yesterday while I was subjecting myself to that hell I call Walmart. Before I try my buddy's "cure," I wanted to see what my friends here on AC had to say about it:

Has anyone heard of using molasses to treat depression?
If so, have you tried it?
If you have, did it help?

My buddy is quite intelligent and leans more toward natural cures when possible. He's also the one person whose counsel I trust above all others. If he were to say, "Jump off that cliff because . . . ," I'd probably do it.

If you are taking pharmaceuticals of any kind, it is a good idea to find out about possible negative interactions with anything new you want to take. An easy way to find out is to call a Walgreens pharmacist. They will check for interections between pharmaceuticals as well as between a natural cure such as molasses. They will do this even if you do not have a pharmacy account with them, and they do not charge.

Once you find out there is no problem, you are then free to try your friend's suggestion about the molasses and see what you think. One more thing - I always try a very small dose of new herbs, etc. the first time in case the results are not to my liking. Then you can increase the dose, gradually or go right to the suggested amount.

Wow, I didn't expect such a response to this thread. I appreciate all the input thus far and hope it continues.

In response to some of what has been suggested, I do use sea salt. The same friend that suggested the molasses also told me how much better sea salt is. I cannot comment on the health benefits since I've not personally seen any, but it does taste MUCH better than regular old table salt.

As for Vitamin D, I do take 2000 IU of D3 daily per my doctor. Much to my surprise, I was unaware that I had a D deficiency. However, I work indoors all day and spend most of my time indoors when I'm at home, so having a D deficiency shouldn't be a surprise.

I tried Niacin for a while, but it screwed up my cholesterol. If memory serves right, but I think it caused the HDL (good?) to decrease, so I had to stop taking that. My "system" is so screwy and sensitive that it seems that the most innocuous thing can throw it off.

I am not taking any pharmaceuticals except an occasional OTC for aches and pains; it sucks getting old. I used to take Naproxen, but have noticed it has been causing an upset stomach. Tylenol, though good, can be dangerous, so I only use it when absolutely necessary. The other day I tried some Ibuprofen for my neck pain. I was amazed at how well it worked without any side-effects. However, I don't know if there would be any interaction with that and some of the supplements I take or am considering.

You do not have to wonder. You can call a local Walgreens pharmacist and ask them about possible interactions. It makes life easier to just find out.

I don't know how well molasses will actually help with depression, but I have heard it is good at stress relief. I personally would suggest St. John's Wort for depression and stress.

New Threads

Top Bottom