• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Midnight Diner is one of my favorites

Magna

V.I.P Member
I fell in love with Midnight Diner, a Japanese series on Netflix. My only sadness about it is that there are a limited number of seasons available and I've already burned through every episode. I would rank the series as one of my top favorites in the last decade.
AAAABQtjRq2GvbRV91IKXyH1vgPL1_M7O9VWg5asvrTHrZjhUIuaFDyO8GKKsyMY4t4pMTlFdtL8F5JtnjwpveGjgcqQJY3u.jpg

Some of the things I like about it:
  • The characters have a realness about them. They're interesting because most of them have had significant struggles in their lives.
  • "Master", the owner of the diner is a most amazing character. He's not only a chef and bartender, he's also a confidant and acts as friend, therapist/counselor and advisor. His wisdom is hard earned and comes from "living life in the trenches". He also plays holy man/priest to people on the show. Characters will confess things to him in confidence and he will provide sage wisdom very similar to a Catholic priest.
  • It's not fast and flashy.
  • The acting is wonderful.
  • Anyone who also likes cooking and food, as I do, will also enjoy the food/cooking aspect.
  • I could see myself being one of his regular patrons and would be honored to be among them. I would rather hang out with the patrons of Midnight Diner than elites or aristocrats any day and without question.
I can't say enough about the show and I hope there are more seasons viewable in the U.S. in the future.

Last edited:
I enjoy Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories, tremendously. I enjoy it for its tales of relationships, because having been socially isolated when young, seeing how people navigate life, their connections and how they view their responsibilities towards each other fascinates me. Relationships are so important in Japan. When I worked there, the person chosen to help me was not there because we had common disciplines, but because he studied at the University of Michigan, my undergraduate school.

Another series I enjoy is After Life with Ricky Gervais as the lead character. It is so delightfully British.

I agree with you. I also enjoyed Samurai Gourmet, another Japanese food series that has a relatable central character.

New Threads

Top Bottom