• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Memories of the year 1999

FromEquestria2LA

It's hard to believe that 1999 was 18 years ago now. So, I thought I'd take a thread to share your memories of that year.
---
It's funny that I'm old enough to remember that the year 1999 was considered far off into the future. But for me, the real 1999 was a fairly good year for me.

I had moved from a larger town, to a smaller one on an island, and I was upset about the move then (I'm older now, and find my hometown alright). What helped me cope with the move was watching repeats of Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs. At the time of the move, I also got into Pokemon when it first hit stateside the previous year. I also came across a German news channel named Deutsche Welle, and recorded their newscasts on VHS alongside the aforementioned two shows.

At the start of the year, I was in 6th grade. It was a fractured year, but many of my new classmates in my class go to know me for my wacky personality. I asked to go out in style on the last day of school that year, with "Johnny has left the building" as I left the school for the last time.

Also that year, I found at my local Safeway a VHS tape of the 1986 New York Mets' theme song "Let's Go Mets!" and bought it. I became hooked and wore out the darn tape because I watched it so many times! (I was into football earlier in the year.) Which brings me to the next part of this story...

In August of 1999, I spent two weeks in New York City (to see my uncle, who lived in the area then), and buoyed by my love the Mets, saw one of their games at the now-demolished Shea Stadium. There are certain areas that I remember vividly in my life, even in my younger days, and this is one of them: The game I saw took place August 6, 1999, and the Mets played the Dodgers, and the Mets won, 2-1. I was so elated. The Mets would reach the playoffs, only to fall short in that year's NLCS against the Atlanta Braves. But that 1999 Mets team.... that was one helluva rodeo for them.

The second half of 1999 had me in 7th grade and in middle school. The school assigned me a para-educator assistant, a woman named Kim to help me get through this new school of mine. I can't remember what happened in that second half of the year, but bigger and better things would lay ahead of me in the new year/century/millennium that was to follow.

Lastly, 1999 was also the year that the U.S. said "Hello" to both Digimon (the anime) and Who Wants to be a Millionaire? These two shows, for my 12 year old self, were required viewing, and the former show has had a good-sized following, with many spin-off series made (and a few sequel series to the 1999 anime, too), and the latter show becoming one of the most captivating TV show in quite a while, with its high stakes and intensity.

That was my 1999........ tell me your 1999 story. :D

1999 was the year I was diagnosed as Aspie at the age of 23. Also, New Year's Eve 1999, at Midnight I switched the PC on to check for the Y2K Bug, nothing happened just as I predicted, the whole "Y2K" thing was a con to get people to buy new PCs for the Millennium.

I was 11 and allowed to have a small glass of wine and lemonade to see the year 2000 in.

Also the year I started secondary school.

Great year. When I was hired as a lead website designer for a major software game manufacturer. Initially working in their marketing department.

When in my first week I was on the computer designing a website interface, and it was around noon with so many people off to lunch. When I suddenly stopped working and looked to my left, then to my right to see if anyone was watching me.

As if I was having fun on the computer when I should be working. Then it dawned on me. This was my job. Making more money then than I ever did in finance. :cool:

I was 13, hating high school and I remember seeing Phantom Menace and hating it. My sister and I went with our parents to a new years party where we were bored out of our minds.

I don't remember much from that year, other than being a pimply 13-y/o.
I hated the Phantom Menace as well. Other than that I mostly remember playing Magic: The Gathering, ADND, and loads of computer games.

In the computer center where I was working at the time there was much concern about he year 2000 problem, so we spent most of the year overhauling old programs. When the clock rolled over on 1/1/2000 nothing broke, so we did a good job.

Yo listen up here's a story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees
Is just blue
Like him inside and outside

And so on.

Enjoy having it stuck in your head for a day or two. ;)

damnyou.jpg

I was 14, my dad just got out after a long career in the military, we moved to a state far from the best friends I have ever made. I started high school at a very snooty and clique-y school. I developed bad acne, had bad haircuts, dressed awkwardly, was told I was a loser and overall, felt miserable. I retreated into myself and obsessively listened to the "great" music of the Backstreet Boys. I make fun of them now, but they really pulled me through that year.

I was in highschool.

That's probably all I even need to say here.

Stuff at home though was good I guess. Computers as a whole werent infuriating back then. When it comes to computers and gaming, I miss those days.

In the computer center where I was working at the time there was much concern about he year 2000 problem, so we spent most of the year overhauling old programs. When the clock rolled over on 1/1/2000 nothing broke, so we did a good job.

Nothing would've broke anyway mate, the whole Y2K thing was a con orchestrated by PC World and the government to get everyone to order a new "Y2K proof" PC for the Millennium.

Cynical? Moi? :D

I was 9, we moved house, and we got Smokey and Spider our recently diseased cats. Just last week my dad was transferring old VHS tapes to digital and one of the films was of me playing with them in May 1999, they were so small and cute.

New Threads

Top Bottom