• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Meltdowns make me more sensitive in the aftermath...

Owliet

The Hidden One.
Yesterday I had a meltdown and ended up hurting myself as a result. feeling a lot of emotions and I feel disappointed in myself that I’ve done that despite being a while month clean of not hurting myself. Today, a few things have happened, my sibling has proven that yet again she is very petty and selfish, and I am a idiot for putting a lot of trust, I had a bit of a break down in tears again because of it Despite my dad to be reassuring, but I have noticed a pattern that whilst that instance today would upset me anyway, I would not be in tears like I’m devastated If I wasn’t feeling sensitive after my meltdown from yesterday. I feel very tired, and emotional all over the place.

Does anyone else feel sensitive after a meltdown? How do you process your emotions afterwards?

For myself, I need to go in to shut down mode occasionally. People leave me emotionally exhausted and this also means mentally exhausted. Too shot to even concentrate on a movie or reading a book. I described it to a social worker as being a bit like the crash and burn a child goes through after too much chocolate and red cordial.

Complete peace for a few hours, then I can sleep it off.

Hi Owl,
I'm sorry to hear you had a rough time, and I understand what it's like to feel like the sensitivity that follows will never end.
I like the slogan "this too shall pass"

Why do we get upset when we go down that same path with family or a friend? I beat myself up mentally way less because people rarely change so it's like you signed up for the amusement park ride where you anticipate getting soaked then you think, l am never going on that ride again. So you hit the same dead-end with your sibling and of course you are upset. Maybe they have no intention of ever changing so that is a relationship that can't be repaired. I am sorry for this realization. Family dynamics, oh boy. This causes so much frustration day to day for a lot of us.

I can relate. Many of my meltdowns have resulted from interactions with my two insensitive brothers. It is difficult especially when it has to do with family.

My therapist has recommended that I assemble a “grounding box.” A grounding box contains items that helps ground your five senses. It is meant to distract yourself during or just after a meltdown. For example, I put in dark chocolate for my sense of taste, my favorite incense for my sense of smell, a playlist of soothing music for my sense of sound, etc. I just put it together and have yet to use it, but it sounds promising. Just a suggestion for the future.

I seem to experience additional meltdowns after the first.over different things too. Today I’m feeling too tired and unwell but I have Realized that my family dynamics are....bad. And seem to be one of the causes that sets me up. Makes me wonder if at times they do it deliberately.

I don’t see my psych until Middle October so I feel like I’m on my own to deal with it. haven’t self harmed though during the smaller ones, Although it’s been close to. have treated injuries too. Not ideal.

My therapist has recommended that I assemble a “grounding box.” A grounding box contains items that helps ground your five senses. It is meant to distract yourself during or just after a meltdown. For example, I put in dark chocolate for my sense of taste, my favorite incense for my sense of smell, a playlist of soothing music for my sense of sound, etc. I just put it together and have yet to use it, but it sounds promising. Just a suggestion for the future.

Might be useful. Thanks for the suggestion.

I feel very tired, and emotional all over the place.

Does anyone else feel sensitive after a meltdown? How do you process your emotions afterwards?
Hey, I'm researching the meltdown/burnout topics because I had one a few days ago and like a Psychologist and future Neuroscientist I disagree with the Theory of mind concept for lying.

Let's first define it: Burnout is a state of emotional, mental, and often physical exhaustion brought on by prolonged or repeated stress. I think we get stressed but not being our true selves. You are talking about going out with your families or doing activities that you don't wanna do. We must be HONEST to ourselves and do activities by INTRINSIC MOTIVATION.

For me, the Autistic Meltdown is an emotional, mental, and often physical exhaustion caused by lying. We go to places we don't wanna be thinking we are like them, masking our true feelings, but after many days or a few hours we get overwhelmed by the situation because WE'RE LIVING A LIE AND WE CAN'T BE FALSE LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD.

My advice is don't lie, don't mask, try to do things by intrinsic motivation go to that restaurant because you really really like that food not because they invited you.

Thanks for everything this is my first post and I hope I can help a bit.

New Threads

Top Bottom