• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Meditation and Mindfulness

ThisGuyIsThisGuy

Last night, I had the worst fight with my mom and dad over my new job and letting social security know what I was doing. Long story short, I was howling and wailing on the floor and uncontrollably sobbing. Throughout the day, I just kept crying until my body shut itself down. I went to my room and stayed inside, with the things I wanted to do put on the wayside for the sake of my recovery.

It has never been that bad before, so I decided to take up meditation and mindfulness techniques in order to improve my mood, stress, and depression. I got a good idea on what I want to do: breathing exercises and meditation in the morning before I go to the gym, but what are your preferred methods of controlling anxiety. How well did it help and how long did you do it, if you aren't continuing it today. Any and all advice is appreciated. :)

That is sad. It's not right that you are kept form working and cause all that chaos in fear. It seems if you could move to a sane country, you would not need to learn those skills. But since you are here, people are going crazy. You will have to find a way to survive because many are not. Just persevere any way you can. The disabled in America are on serious survival mode. Stay strong.

That is sad. It's not right that you are kept form working and cause all that chaos in fear. It seems if you could move to a sane country, you would not need to learn those skills. But since you are here, people are going crazy. You will have to find a way to survive because many are not. Just persevere any way you can. The disabled in America are on serious survival mode. Stay strong.

You misunderstand. It's not that I'm not being kept from working. Far from it. My dad wants me to work, and I agree. But, when I tried to contact the SSA about the earned wages from my other short-term delivery job, I let out sensitive information about me moving from my representative payee to my mother's. (My parents are divorced.) He told me that government agencies are notoriously mismanaged, so there might be a chance that information I told over the phone might not go through the processes, but he was frustrated at me for taking matters into my own hands before waiting on him first. To be fair, he might know more than I do, but I wanted to be cautious and report my $600 in wages this month so we don't face the possibility of overpayment.

My methods of controlling anxiety:
1. Eating healthy
2. Tea, chocolate, and stuffed animals (all one thing :D:D)
3. Meditation (about a half hour a day)
4. Almost constant music, either from my phone or me playing piano
5. Understanding myself better, in this case understanding what makes me anxious and giving myself permission to do what I have to, such as suddenly leaving a social gathering or meal
6. Buspirone got rid of that endless buzz of anxiety that seemed to have no cause
7. I take Phenibut in emergencies, emergencies defined as being at-risk for self-harm or self-destructive behavior
8. Accepting that some anxiety is inevitable and more than usual is inevitable for me because "more than usual" is how my brain works
9. I think that's it, but I made myself smile by putting this as a number

Overall, it's worked to the extent that I haven't abused drugs in eleven months and only self-harmed once this year! If it stops working, I'll probably mention it here! :D:eek::D

You misunderstand. It's not that I'm not being kept from working. Far from it. My dad wants me to work, and I agree. But, when I tried to contact the SSA about the earned wages from my other short-term delivery job, I let out sensitive information about me moving from my representative payee to my mother's. (My parents are divorced.) He told me that government agencies are notoriously mismanaged, so there might be a chance that information I told over the phone might not go through the processes, but he was frustrated at me for taking matters into my own hands before waiting on him first. To be fair, he might know more than I do, but I wanted to be cautious and report my $600 in wages this month so we don't face the possibility of overpayment.

Oh! Ok, that is different.

As to relaxing, I am still working on that. I wish I could get medical pot. I hear it works well. CBD oil is ehhh.

Oh! Ok, that is different.

As to relaxing, I am still working on that. I wish I could get medical pot. I hear it works well. CBD oil is ehhh.

Sorry if you said somewhere or I should know somehow, but why can't you get medical pot? Maybe my confusion stems from the fact that I live in LA LOL

My methods of controlling anxiety:
1. Eating healthy
2. Tea, chocolate, and stuffed animals (all one thing :D:D)
3. Meditation (about a half hour a day)
4. Almost constant music, either from my phone or me playing piano
5. Understanding myself better, in this case understanding what makes me anxious and giving myself permission to do what I have to, such as suddenly leaving a social gathering or meal
6. Buspirone got rid of that endless buzz of anxiety that seemed to have no cause
7. I take Phenibut in emergencies, emergencies defined as being at-risk for self-harm or self-destructive behavior
8. Accepting that some anxiety is inevitable and more than usual is inevitable for me because "more than usual" is how my brain works
9. I think that's it, but I made myself smile by putting this as a number

Overall, it's worked to the extent that I haven't abused drugs in eleven months and only self-harmed once this year! If it stops working, I'll probably mention it here! :D:eek::D

1. Obvious, but eating more greens is definitely needed.

2. I got cats. Those work, too, right?

3. Working on a new program to do at least 30 minutes or more.

4. Calming video game music ought to do it.

5. Now this is a big one for me. I don't know WHY I behaved today the way I did, other than the amount of guilt and anxiety put on me until I snapped. I haven't done that since I was much smaller. I'm 30 now. I need to look into that.

6. Card carrying member of that drug myself. Does wonders for sleep.

7. Ehhhhh, let's skip this one. I want to avoid more drugs.

8. Inevitable is fine. Autism in general is a life of anxiety. How we handle it is a different issue altogether.

9. THERE IS NO... RULE 9! RULE 10: NO POOFTERS! (Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Old Monty Python joke.)

Sorry if you said somewhere or I should know somehow, but why can't you get medical pot? Maybe my confusion stems from the fact that I live in LA LOL
Where I live, they would skin you alive and pour acid in your face if you even THOUGHT of smoking a joint instead of taking handfuls of opiates mixed with xanax and a few Ambien on the side. They are desperate to thin out the population and so refuse to even have the conversation. Our legislatures think pot will let people heal and think and enjoy life..........then we'd be here for a while.

Where I live, they would skin you alive and pour acid in your face if you even THOUGHT of smoking a joint instead of taking handfuls of opiates mixed with xanax and a few Ambien on the side. They are desperate to thin out the population and so refuse to even have the conversation. Our legislatures think pot will let people heal and think and enjoy life..........then we'd be here for a while.

This sounds like the sort of thing people have said to me and I go wide-eyed then they say they're just kidding and that I'm funny.

But you're not joking, are you? Whaaaa...?

I made my head hurt!

I'm confused!

I'm sorry!

1. Obvious, but eating more greens is definitely needed.

2. I got cats. Those work, too, right?

3. Working on a new program to do at least 30 minutes or more.

4. Calming video game music ought to do it.

5. Now this is a big one for me. I don't know WHY I behaved today the way I did, other than the amount of guilt and anxiety put on me until I snapped. I haven't done that since I was much smaller. I'm 30 now. I need to look into that.

6. Card carrying member of that drug myself. Does wonders for sleep.

7. Ehhhhh, let's skip this one. I want to avoid more drugs.

8. Inevitable is fine. Autism in general is a life of anxiety. How we handle it is a different issue altogether.

9. THERE IS NO... RULE 9! RULE 10: NO POOFTERS! (Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Old Monty Python joke.)

I googled "poofters" and it said it's another word for "poof," as in a magician saying it or a homosexual man.

OH, okay, while typing it I realized it's probably the second one because you apologized.

I'm gonna leave all this in instead of deleting things and pretending I always understood because it shows the journey I went on. :D

I don't believe in being offended by jokes! I've always said, if it's funny then it's not offensive!

I don't know if that's funny because I don't know the reference, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Humour.

Seriously, humour :)

If I can recognise my own thought loops and emerging anxiety early enough, I change the direction my thoughts are headed.
Create a new habit. Try to remain in control.

It’s my brain after all. Only me controlling it.

What happens when I don’t catch my thought process early enough?
Chest pains, blue fingers and ECGs usually.

It’s in my own best interest to change my thinking, my thought processes.
Interrupt those electrical impulses wizzing along habitual brain circuitry and redirect them somewhere else.

I’m a big fan of humour.
My sense of humour is personal to me so I wouldn’t be able to advise the types of things others could find funny in a pressured/ anxiety provoking situation.

Changing a situation from fearful to funny takes some practice in the same way meditation or mindfulness takes practice.

Laughter is the best medicine :)

There isn’t enough humour in the world I say.

Last edited:
Humour.

If I can recognise my own thought loops and emerging anxiety early enough, I change the direction my thoughts are headed.

Interrupt those electrical impulses wizzing along habitual brain circuitry and redirect them somewhere else.

I’m a big fan of humour.
My sense of humour is personal to me so I wouldn’t be able to advise the types of things others could find funny in a pressured/ anxiety provoking situation.

Changing a situation from fearful to funny takes some practice in the same way meditation or mindfulness takes practice.

Yes!!! Almost all of my funny thoughts begin as depressing ones!

Humour.

I’m a big fan of humour.

Humor is very important, I agree. I wonder if there are any exercises to make the best out of bad situations this way.

Humor is very important, I agree. I wonder if there are any exercises to make the best out of bad situations this way.

Sense of humour reminds me of fingerprints,
We’ve all got some, unique and personal to each of us.

Any exercises will come from what you perceive as funny, what amuses you.

Also from an ability and belief that you can turn a potentially anxious situation around by recognising and catching those thoughts early enough in order to change them.

New Threads

Top Bottom