• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

McDonald's called back .... LOL!

Well done, I have a lot of respect for you and I wish you the very best of luck, also if you get the job it makes getting other jobs easier once you're in one, so continue applying for jobs that you really want.

No, I hope he aces the interview and starts the same day, lol!

When I was 19 years old in the late 1980s I walked down the high street and went into a store that has now long closed down called Tandy in the UK (Radio Shack in the USA) and I asked on the off chance whether there was any positions available, I immediately got an interview and I started that very same day, I just had to move my car to a long stay car park first. I did hate that job and they kept instructing me to be dishonest to sell people as much as possible for the highest price even when it wasn't good advice, something I couldn't do and I argued that it was bad for business in the long run, but they never listened and that's probably partly why the business eventually failed, you couldn't trust the sales staff and they'd always pounce on customers with hard sell. That said when I did leave it was my decision when I got a better job and they seemed sad for me to go, it was one of the only places of employment where the staff seemed to like me. If I hadn't had been working in the first place I may not have got a better position and similar is true if working for McDonalds, you've got to start somewhere.
Thanks @pjcnet. I think I will probably get the job because I live in an area with very low unemployment so I'll bet Mickey D's is scrambling for people. Shoot, I think it even pays about 10.00 an hour out my way.

Good luck on the job!! I worked at pizza hut and Starbucks. I worked on functioning efficiently in the NT world and learning how to deal with and minimize setbacks(believe me I am still learning). If you have a few bad days in a row--don't get let down too much. I try to let my managers know that even when I get stressed over a thing, that I can recover and get back on point quickly. Let us know how it goes.

Update: The interview never happened. I stopped in the restaurant 15 minutes prior to my interview and went up to the counter and just let them know I was there. I waited 45 minutes and no one came to interview me. I went up to the counter after waiting thinking they may have forgot me and the manager said he would be with me soon. I walked out simply insulted. I have three other interviews this week. One to drive a dump truck, one is a work from home customer support gig, and the other is working at the local movie theater. I can't believe how poorly I was treated. Le sigh!

Update: The interview never happened. I stopped in the restaurant 15 minutes prior to my interview and went up to the counter and just let them know I was there. I waited 45 minutes and no one came to interview me. I went up to the counter after waiting thinking they may have forgot me and the manager said he would be with me soon. I walked out simply insulted. I have three other interviews this week. One to drive a dump truck, one is a work from home customer support gig, and the other is working at the local movie theater. I can't believe how poorly I was treated. Le sigh!
I don't blame you walking out, no wonder they struggle to get staff. Good news on your other interviews though. Also driving a dump truck is a surprisingly sought after job, well it certainly used to be in the UK at least.

That reminds me of a certain recent job opening I might have talked about on this site, the one where it was difficult to locate and would offer unreasonable hours with the role requiring carrying heavy loads on a regular basis, as well as dealing with people all the time.. Again the company or rather the person who applied to the job for me was rather clueless about my demeanor that I show towards people, I allowed someone to undertake the job assessment on my behalf (done online at home) giving answers that an NT would only think of - bearing in mind that these questions were mostly how I would function as part of a team. Usually if I did this myself I would fail every time. As soon as I got to the point where they were vetting even more applicants through ice-breaker activities I always felt like the odd one out and everyone could see it especially when we were crammed in this large room meant to intimidate shy people like myself.

O I gosh, that’s so terrible! Wow. You handled it well! I can only imagine how that place treats it’s employees!

I think driving a dump truck would be good pay. I always have been fascinated by watching all the different types of trucks, loaders, pavers, mixers etc that work at construction sites or at landfills/ dumps.

The other options sound more relaxing. Keep us posted on your interviews.

Thanks @pjcnet and @Mary Anne. The interview for the dump truck driving position is on Wednesday afternoon. In the mean time, we'll see what happens. A part of me hopes that the work from home position comes through but it is a long shot.

In some ways working from home would be a better fit for me, like that idea I had a few years ago to run my own IT Business, but I can't use the Flat as Business premises and I can't afford to rent anywhere else and pay Business rates and that.

On the other hand, I'd rather physically go somewhere to work, because knowing me if I worked from home I would struggle to get motivated to do any work.

In some ways working from home would be a better fit for me, like that idea I had a few years ago to run my own IT Business, but I can't use the Flat as Business premises and I can't afford to rent anywhere else and pay Business rates and that.

On the other hand, I'd rather physically go somewhere to work, because knowing me if I worked from home I would struggle to get motivated to do any work.
I think I might be the same way so it's kind of fortunate that it is a call center position with call metrics to keep in the green. It would force me to keep a good working pace. I just don't care much for being on the phone all that time but the trade off is no office. IMHO, that's a pretty good trade. Also, I would use my USB headset and my headset is quite comfortable with good audio quality for a cheapie 20.00 pair that I picked up on Amazon.

I think I might be the same way so it's kind of fortunate that it is a call center position with call metrics to keep in the green. It would force me to keep a good working pace. I just don't care much for being on the phone all that time but the trade off is no office. IMHO, that's a pretty good trade. Also, I would use my USB headset and my headset is quite comfortable with good audio quality for a cheapie 20.00 pair that I picked up on Amazon.

That could be the best job as you would not have to deal with the noise of running a dump truck and being cooped up in that cab all day long. Plus, no reptative wrist injuries, right? You could get a comfortable ergonomic chair, and put your feet up. I would love it. But I cannot stand being in the phone for more than 20 minutes.

Incredibly rude to leave you waiting that long. It's McDonald's loss though :)

Good luck with your next interview. I really hope it works out for you with the working from home post. Working from home is great if you're motivated, can work on your own initiative and you like solitude. I love it :D

I applied to the local Wal Mart last year (over here we call it ASDA)
No we don't. WalMart is WalMart and Asda is Asda. It just so happens that the former owns the latter. If Asda goes ahead with the proposed merger with Sainsbury's WalMart will continue to own a 42% stake, but WalMart will have the option of exiting the UK market altogether in four years' time.
BBC article on the Asda-Sainsbury's merger
None of this means that Martian in the Playground is going to be reissued under the name of Clare Asda. ;)

No we don't. WalMart is WalMart and Asda is Asda. It just so happens that the former owns the latter. If Asda goes ahead with the proposed merger with Sainsbury's WalMart will continue to own a 42% stake, but WalMart will have the option of exiting the UK market altogether in four years' time.
BBC article on the Asda-Sainsbury's merger
None of this means that Martian in the Playground is going to be reissued under the name of Clare Asda. ;)
So if WalMart own Asda then Asda is surely effectively also WalMart, although they call it Asda in the UK under another business name lol! :emojiconfused:

I notice WalMart are even using some of the same advertising as Asda, E.g. "rollback" on products, no other supermarket uses the term in the UK at least. Under Wiki, WalMart is listed as the parent company if you lookup Asda. I assume that if WalMart own Asda they could even change the name to WalMart if they wanted to? I can understand it being pointless however since people in the UK are used to the name Asda and it would cost money to change everything.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom