• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

McDonald's called back .... LOL!

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
I am really going to have to dig down deep for some strength and hope reserves. I got a call back from the local McDonald's and I will have the interview on Sunday afternoon at 4PM. Kind of a weird time but I'll be there. At this point I must work, no matter how uncomfortable the job might be. I will take what I can get and do my best at it.

You have a job interview? I officially hate you lol.

McDonald's ain't the world's best job, but it'll pay the bills, and like they say on the cartoons, Meh, it's a living.

Seriously though, good luck, I hope you ace the interview and start the next day.

Also, the reason why it's a 4 PM on a Sunday, is probably because most shops shut at 4 PM because of the Sunday trading laws, so there'll be less people about, better for you.

I'm also in the thought process of 'something is better than nothing' and i'm also in dire need of work that I will take anything, my only problem being i'm not the best looking guy to be hired for the job and have that ongoing notion that even if you stay for a week and lose the job it will still look worse on your CV because it shows you cannot cope in the working world.

You have a job interview? I officially hate you lol.

McDonald's ain't the world's best job, but it'll pay the bills, and like they say on the cartoons, Meh, it's a living.

Seriously though, good luck, I hope you ace the interview and start the next day.

Also, the reason why it's a 4 PM on a Sunday, is probably because most shops shut at 4 PM because of the Sunday trading laws, so there'll be less people about, better for you.
Actually, it won't pay the bills. I will still very much need my social security disability payments but at least I'll be busy.

I am really going to have to dig down deep for some strength and hope reserves. I got a call back from the local McDonald's and I will have the interview on Sunday afternoon at 4PM. Kind of a weird time but I'll be there. At this point I must work, no matter how uncomfortable the job might be. I will take what I can get and do my best at it.

Best of luck. How about Walmart? I know a person who started at the minimum wage at Walmart, and 7 years later he is a manager making $17/ with a crew under him.

Best of luck. How about Walmart? I know a person who started at the minimum wage at Walmart, and 7 years later he is a manager making $17/ with a crew under him.

I applied to the local Wal Mart last year (over here we call it ASDA) but didn't get the job, and in 1998 I applied to the Co Op for checkout operating work, they said they exclusively used Women on the tills, and males were just shelf fillers/shelf stackers, I was literally like WTF?! How in the heck is that even legal?!

I got fired from a Walmart for not working fast enough at collecting shopping carts.

I applied to the local Wal Mart last year (over here we call it ASDA) but didn't get the job, and in 1998 I applied to the Co Op for checkout operating work, they said they exclusively used Women on the tills, and males were just shelf fillers/shelf stackers, I was literally like WTF?! How in the heck is that even legal?!

Shelf stacking and filling is a nice job because stockers usually can focus without too much interruption, and have minimal customer involvement. It can be very heavy work- most positions are filled by men even here in the USA (unless it’s small stuff). That and loading dock work (shipping & receiving) are nearly always male workers.

Working the cash registers is very stressful and a lot of responsibility. You deal with customers a lot...and they can be rude, demanding, etc. Those positions can be filled by any one regardless of gender.

I got fired from a Walmart for not working fast enough at collecting shopping carts.

Wow, I had a client who also got fired from Walmart for the very same thing. How odd. I wonder how they assess the speed of cart collection? Those parking lots are gigantic!

Wow, I had a client who also got fired from Walmart for the very same thing. How odd. I wonder how they assess the speed of cart collection? Those parking lots are gigantic!
And I was the only one out there in the middle of the blazing hot summer sun. What more do they want!? Oh wait, it's Walmart and Alice Walton; they want me to die so I am not a drag on society's economics.

Last edited:
I am curious as to what their criteria is for cart collecting. Because being fired really upset my client, who struggles with schizophrenia. He lost his life long career, and went on disability for years while he learned to manage his symptoms. He wanted to work again, and when he got fired in his mid 60s, it really undermined his confidence to try looking for any part time work again.

His story really moved me, and here, I learn of the same thing happening in a different part of America with the same company, all over again. How does Walmart establish criteria for speed of cart retrievals? I can tell you at my Home Depot, the entire top store manager will leave his office and go retrieve carts if it needs to be done! We all are in awe of a manager doing that, as there seems to be no hierarchy issues at this store. This makes for a great work atmosphere.

I learned the the oldest employee at Home Depot is a 93 year old door greeter! I don’t know what location this is at, but there is hope for all of us LOL. I noticed that Walmart does not have the senior citizen greeters like they used to. Now, it’s just grumpy scowl-faced middle aged middle easterners. I missed the smiling happy pleasant older seniors.

I am curious as to what their criteria is for cart collecting. Because being fired really upset my client, who struggles with schizophrenia. He lost his life long career, and went on disability for years while he learned to manage his symptoms. He wanted to work again, and when he got fired in his mid 60s, it really undermined his confidence to try looking for any part time work again.

His story really moved me, and here, I learn of the same thing happening in a different part of America with the same company, all over again. How does Walmart establish criteria for speed of cart retrievals? I can tell you at my Home Depot, the entire top store manager will leave his office and go retrieve carts if it needs to be done! We all are in awe of a manager doing that, as there seems to be no hierarchy issues at this store. This makes for a great work atmosphere.

I learned the the oldest employee at Home Depot is a 93 year old door greeter! I don’t know what location this is at, but there is hope for all of us LOL. I noticed that Walmart does not have the senior citizen greeters like they used to. Now, it’s just grumpy scowl-faced middle aged middle easterners. I missed the smiling happy pleasant older seniors.
You're fortunate to have a store manager that understands the concept of lead by example. When a manager leads by example, it can be really motivating.

Well done, I have a lot of respect for you and I wish you the very best of luck, also if you get the job it makes getting other jobs easier once you're in one, so continue applying for jobs that you really want.

No, I hope he aces the interview and starts the same day, lol!

When I was 19 years old in the late 1980s I walked down the high street and went into a store that has now long closed down called Tandy in the UK (Radio Shack in the USA) and I asked on the off chance whether there was any positions available, I immediately got an interview and I started that very same day, I just had to move my car to a long stay car park first. I did hate that job and they kept instructing me to be dishonest to sell people as much as possible for the highest price even when it wasn't good advice, something I couldn't do and I argued that it was bad for business in the long run, but they never listened and that's probably partly why the business eventually failed, you couldn't trust the sales staff and they'd always pounce on customers with hard sell. That said when I did leave it was my decision when I got a better job and they seemed sad for me to go, it was one of the only places of employment where the staff seemed to like me. If I hadn't had been working in the first place I may not have got a better position and similar is true if working for McDonalds, you've got to start somewhere.

Last edited:
and in 1998 I applied to the Co Op for checkout operating work, they said they exclusively used Women on the tills, and males were just shelf fillers/shelf stackers, I was literally like WTF?! How in the heck is that even legal?!

It's not legal.

Pity you never asked for them to put their reasons in writing. You'd be quids in.

@Mattymatt - wishing you all the best for your interview. I really hope you get the job.

It may not pay enough to live on independently, but we all have to start somewhere and usually being in employment instils confidence to move into another job.

@Mattymatt - wishing you all the best for your interview. I really hope you get the job.

It may not pay enough to live on independently, but we all have to start somewhere and usually being in employment instils confidence to move into another job.

Yeah, if you get the job, which I'm sure you will, I bet McDonald's would take even me on if I applied to the local one, you can hack it for a while to get a job to put in the relevant employment section of your CV which stands you in good stead for the future.

New Threads

Top Bottom