• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

MC Guyver faking it

Kayla55

So I'm amazed oh it MC Guyver, I watched that as a child. So watching out of interest but either I got older and the stunts didn't seem to real anymore or was it the new actor was well, not convincing that he really came up with tricks himself. I think he needs a few scars, maybe performs a few stunts and have genuine appeal.
Do other women find it annoying when men insist on pretending so badly?

I haven't watched the new Mcguyver. I loved watching the original for the comedy of how badly the writers so consistently got things wrong. They would take a valid concept and butcher it up so badly as to make it absurdly impossible. And they did it  so consistently. I kind of expected that once or twice in the whole run of the show that they would actually present one of his clever make-shifts accurately, but if they ever did, I missed that episode.

It's television! No one expects it to be real or realistic. It was never intended to be real or realistic. It's just "entertainment", not a documentary. :)

FYI, the art of making useful objects out of found resources is called "bricolage."
full

It's television! No one expects it to be real or realistic. It was never intended to be real or realistic. It's just "entertainment", not a documentary. :)
Sure, but it would be nice to have a show in which, with their vast monetary resources, especially with successful shows, they hire a team of clever people, say, on the spectrum, to come up with tricks that do not defy the laws of physics or common sense. It's not that complicated. Plus they would gain so many more viewers... :)

Or put another way, thanks to @Crossbreed, add more bricolage and less dumbassersy, including having the guy pronounce bricolage. Now that would be a fun show.

Sure, but it would be nice to have a show in which, with their vast monetary resources, especially with successful shows, they hire a team of clever people, say, on the spectrum, to come up with tricks that do not defy the laws of physics or common sense. It's not that complicated. Plus they would gain so many more viewers... :)

Or put another way, thanks to @Crossbreed, add more bricolage and less dumbassersy, including having the guy pronounce bricolage. Now that would be a fun show.
That show was called MythBusters...

@Kayla55 I am trying to sort out your original post. You speak of a TV series from 1985-1992 and how fake it is. We all agree, it's entertainment, not real. Then you follow it up with "Do other women find it annoying when men insist upon pretending so badly?" Are you referring to how annoying the character played on McGuyver is,...or are you now referring to real men in real life? If it is the later, is this a thing? I can't say that I've met men who are in the habit of pretending.

Wait a minute, are you saying Macgyver isn't real? :oops: So he didn't stop Russian mobsters with a paperclip and he didn't build a hang glider from a piece of a crashed satellite in Afghanistan? I'm so disillusioned now, my whole childhood just fell apart. ;)

I never watched the show as an adult. But then I can think of other such tv characters I did watch as a child, and marveled at their skill and ingenuity. Of course as a kid I never gave much thought to the difference between reality and fictional entertainment.

James Bond, James West, Batman....even Inspector Erskine of the FBI.

Looking back on them all, I find how they were portrayed to be laughable. Some more than others.

Though I always chuckle at the serious nature of the Quinn Martin tv series "The FBI". Where Efrem Zimbalist Jr. as Inspector Erskine can fire his "Colt Snubnose .38 Detective Special" pistol at any range, under any circumstances and ALWAYS shoots the bad guys to either wound or kill them with a single shot. :p

And I always recall that music they play on "The Wild Wild West" where secret service agent James West always manages to have the right hardware on his person to get out of any predicament. :rolleyes:

Though perhaps the funniest thing I like to recall along such lines is the movie "E.T." when they were all trying to escape the clutches of all those evil government men in suits, where one of them asks, "Can't he just beam up?" And little Elliot cynically answers, "This is reality Greg!". :D

This thread is hilarious. Some TV shows did make me giggle because of the implied seriousness that they portrayed. But because of the Hill Street Blues series, my relative became a detective.

Don't get me started on any TV or movie scene from a hospital bed. Talk about fake! It's like sound effects from machines that haven't been around in 40 years and not even in the room. A little bit of oxygen from a nasal cannula, but a mechanical ventilator lit up as if it is actually running. He's in a coma or nearly dead, with the patient monitor totally normal, then suddenly just stops,....beeeeeeeeeep,...patient is dead! Every hospital at night, no one is around, really? It's just as busy during the night as it is during the day. Sorry, there's no "sneaking" into a hospital room. Cameras everywhere. The main doctor character can be found in the emergency room, delivery room, the adult ICU, and the infant nursery? Someone sneaking into the pharmacy on the unit and stealing medications. Never, not in a million years. OMG! The absolute ridiculousness of anything medical on TV or movies is out of hand and would never happen.

@Kayla55 I am trying to sort out your original post. You speak of a TV series from 1985-1992 and how fake it is. We all agree, it's entertainment, not real. Then you follow it up with "Do other women find it annoying when men insist upon pretending so badly?" Are you referring to how annoying the character played on McGuyver is,...or are you now referring to real men in real life? If it is the later, is this a thing? I can't say that I've met men who are in the habit of pretending.
Are there any other Asperger females who are not as dumb as NT testosterone model permits .....
And hereby state if you find it annoying, some guys can be more fake than MC Guyver
But our spectrum guys welcome to submit valid feedback as to whether MC Guyvers gadgets worked.
As kid I liked go go inspector gadget, bang it failed. Get drift

Not sure I get the drift. As far as McGuyver's gadgets working, I didn't see a single episode where one would have worked. Of course I did not see every episode, and I haven't felt motivated to binge watch the series. There was always some valid scientific kernal of fact behind his gadgets, but I suspect what happened was (and I am choosing to err on the generous side) that the story was written with the clever usage of a scientific principle supplied by one or more technical consultants who described how to apply the idea in an actual workable fashion. Then whoever does the screenplay and/or directs the episode gets all fast and loose with reality to make the episode easier or more flashy with little to no regard for accuracy because it's "just television" and "the viewers won't know the diffence".

Don't get me started on any TV or movie scene from a hospital bed. Talk about fake! It's like sound effects from machines that haven't been around in 40 years and not even in the room. A little bit of oxygen from a nasal cannula, but a mechanical ventilator lit up as if it is actually running. He's in a coma or nearly dead, with the patient monitor totally normal, then suddenly just stops,....beeeeeeeeeep,...patient is dead! Every hospital at night, no one is around, really? It's just as busy during the night as it is during the day. Sorry, there's no "sneaking" into a hospital room. Cameras everywhere. The main doctor character can be found in the emergency room, delivery room, the adult ICU, and the infant nursery? Someone sneaking into the pharmacy on the unit and stealing medications. Never, not in a million years. OMG! The absolute ridiculousness of anything medical on TV or movies is out of hand and would never happen.

Lawyer shows are as bad as medical shows. Ridiculous courtroom scenes that have little to nothing to do with reality.

I used to laugh at the old MASH series when Hawkeye would be rooting around with a scalpel in a patient's chest or gut like he was making cole slaw rather than performing delicate surgery. :eek:

Are there any other Asperger females who are not as dumb as NT testosterone model permits .....
And hereby state if you find it annoying, some guys can be more fake than MC Guyver
But our spectrum guys welcome to submit valid feedback as to whether MC Guyvers gadgets worked.

But if tv shows were just like real life, tv would be a little pointless. TV is a break from the world, an escape from real life. I used to watch MacGyver when I was a kid and I loved it. It's just simple fun, not meant to be taken very seriously.

"some guys can be more fake than MC Guyver"?

Are you talking about characters in movies?

Or what?

"some guys can be more fake than MC Guyver"?

Are you talking about characters in movies?

Or what?
I loved these comments, wow what insight. Ye, maybe I going just little bit coo-coo...think I put sugar in fridge again, and salt in my coffee?

The new series on was hawaii5.0 and I suppose it's good for people to grow up with and remember when look back....
I was annoyed at how much glamour the heroes wanted for credit defending underage minors on traffic, but I realised the support is a collective work that got job done.
Ye, remembering days before organisations protected kids or disabled was difficult because I would find websites but it was hard to tackle, nowadays you just report it W0w
Then again I chose to work on backend of computer systems because I didn't feel I liked the limelight. From time to time it's release to just remember TV isn't reality, and poke some fun

New Threads

Top Bottom