• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Master Plan

total-recoil

Have decided I want to go ahead with my plan to buy a yacht and take off to the sea. This will take place in the future. I'm figuring on an inboard diesel, about six 12 volt batteries, solar panels, prop generator and all the usual navigation tackle and radio. I also figure on opting for fibreglass as opposed to steel and the obvious living space aboard. Of course, it's not just as easy as buying your yacht and taking off as there are expenses. I'm told some yachters have had issues filling up water tanks and avoiding heavy rates at marinas. However, I already live on an inland waterways boat so that helps a bit.
Why buy a yacht you may ask? I guess the answer is that it's both exciting and peaceful and I figure you meet people as well at sea who have made the same choice.
Anyone ever considered similar choices?

I've never had a plan like that or anything but I have thought sometimes how neat it would be to live "off the grid" and see what thats like. I'll never do it though, too scared and not smart enough to live off the land haha. But your plan is interesting, should be an exciting adventure!

It's a while off yet but I have found an ideal make of boat. There is one called the Cal 40 that's a really nice boat with an excellent reputation. They are fibreglass and getting on a bit now as many were built in the seventies. So, the price is going to be more affordable. I actually live in a proper boatyard where they make steel boats but the truth is I can't weld although I do know what I'm doing with fibreglass maintenance so that's why I'm inclined towards a fibreglass sea yacht.
You could say it's an ideal plan for an aspie or anyone else who feels they bang their head against a door trying to live by the system and would like to try alternatives. Probably I'd just hang around coastal areas where there are other boat people.

I've never had a plan like that or anything but I have thought sometimes how neat it would be to live "off the grid" and see what thats like. I'll never do it though, too scared and not smart enough to live off the land haha. But your plan is interesting, should be an exciting adventure!

It's a while off yet but I have found an ideal make of boat. There is one called the Cal 40 that's a really nice boat with an excellent reputation. They are fibreglass and getting on a bit now as many were built in the seventies. So, the price is going to be more affordable. I actually live in a proper boatyard where they make steel boats but the truth is I can't weld although I do know what I'm doing with fibreglass maintenance so that's why I'm inclined towards a fibreglass sea yacht.
You could say it's an ideal plan for an aspie or anyone else who feels they bang their head against a door trying to live by the system and would like to try alternatives. Probably I'd just hang around coastal areas where there are other boat people.

That sounds pretty neat :) I guess I would have to be used to being in a boat at sea, I've only been on a boat a couple of times. I guess I feel more stable on land but if I did something like that it would probably be in the wilderness. I don't have a lot of survival skills like I'd need to do it but it always sounds intriguing to just live in nature and see where that goes. Living by the system as you say, is sometimes so draining that I wonder how it would be to have an alternative.

I guess in some ways I've been planning this for years although only recently did I get the concrete plan. A lot of people tell me living on a yacht is a rich man's hobby but I think it can be done by normal people (so long as you really get organised). One of the boats I own actually cost me about 100 dollars as it was a complete wreck but I went to a fibreglass factory, got hold of the resin, glass and catalyst then started to work on the boat. All the wood had to be replaced as it was rotten but I used timber discarded by builders which cost me nothing. That boat is now worth a lot more than 100 dollars although it was incredibly hard work.
For energy you can use a large battery bank, engine alternator for charging and solar panels, combined with turbines or even wind-generators. Fit LED lights for very low wattage and maybe run stuff like DVD and stereo on a 12 volt system, not A.C.
Obviously radar and navigation tackle is crucial but that can be picked up on ebay.

That sounds pretty neat :) I guess I would have to be used to being in a boat at sea, I've only been on a boat a couple of times. I guess I feel more stable on land but if I did something like that it would probably be in the wilderness. I don't have a lot of survival skills like I'd need to do it but it always sounds intriguing to just live in nature and see where that goes. Living by the system as you say, is sometimes so draining that I wonder how it would be to have an alternative.

Anyone ever see The Beach with Leonardo Di Capprio? Same concept really, except the guy in the film opted to live on an island in Thailand (together with a multinational community that had dropped out).

New Threads

Top Bottom