• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Marriage issues

SunFlower

Hello everyone!

I'm self-diagnosed. I didn't have any relationship until 29 years of age when I met my wife. This is now 14 years ago (time flies fast...). We have two kids that are 11 and 9. They don't display any AS traits so far.

The first couple of years in the r/s were great. It's been a gradual decline. It can be attributed to me feeling more and more the need to get back to my own interests (with the need for alone time), but also to my wife having had issues with anger and (IMO) not being very understanding of my needs.

The only times nowadays when I feel truly happy and relaxed are when doing things with the kids, or being alone pursuing my interests. When my wife is around I feel a lot of pressure to be a certain way, and I feel I can't say what's on my mind as it's often taken the wrong way. This makes it hard for me to relax in my own home, which is what I need to be able to do to function at work.

There are of course a lot of other matters complicating things, like extended family and friends, but I'll stop there and hope for some input and insights.

Hi SunFlower, I am really sorry to hear that things are tough for you. Living together is difficult and takes constant work from both partners. I am married to a lovely NT husband and we have had many ups and downs over the course of our togetherness.

Does your wife know how you feel, e.g. are you able to explain it to her?

I always assume that whatever others do, it is not on purpose but simply because they don't know, and if I don't tell them how it affects me then they never will.

On and off I am having this issue with my husband where I tell him how I feel and he would say "no, that's not true", to which I reply that I appreciate that it would not be true for him, but that it is true for me. He also gets a better understanding if I can give him concrete examples.

Does this make sense in your situation?

Have you both considered counseling? I would start there, especially since you say your wife has anger issues. On your end, I think you need to accept that as a parent, your interests will often have to come second. I'm not saying you should deny yourself time to pursue them or try to change who you are, but when you're responsible for the welfare and happiness of children, priorities are naturally rearranged.

If you feel you can't speak your mind without being misinterpreted, this is probably an issue of communication. It's possible that your wife may not be objecting to what you're saying as much as how you're saying it. This is something I've watched my parents deal with over the years, and I'm determined to communicate effectively rather than aggressively.

Hi SunFlower, I am really sorry to hear that things are tough for you. Living together is difficult and takes constant work from both partners. I am married to a lovely NT husband and we have had many ups and downs over the course of our togetherness.

Does your wife know how you feel, e.g. are you able to explain it to her?

I always assume that whatever others do, it is not on purpose but simply because they don't know, and if I don't tell them how it affects me then they never will.

On and off I am having this issue with my husband where I tell him how I feel and he would say "no, that's not true", to which I reply that I appreciate that it would not be true for him, but that it is true for me. He also gets a better understanding if I can give him concrete examples.

Does this make sense in your situation?

Thanks for your reply! I think she knows somewhat how I feel. I don't feel that I can be completely open about this, as she has abandonment issues and would probably think that I want to separate right away. I fear her reactions, as they are usually pretty strong.

You make some very good points. I would certainly need to be more open about my opinions and feelings. Problem is she can be rather invalidating, also at home when talking about what others have said and done - and I'm very sensitive to that kind of behaviour unfortunately. If there was a course on how to become more affirmative I'd sign up right away.

Have you both considered counseling? I would start there, especially since you say your wife has anger issues. On your end, I think you need to accept that as a parent, your interests will often have to come second. I'm not saying you should deny yourself time to pursue them or try to change who you are, but when you're responsible for the welfare and happiness of children, priorities are naturally rearranged.

If you feel you can't speak your mind without being misinterpreted, this is probably an issue of communication. It's possible that your wife may not be objecting to what you're saying as much as how you're saying it. This is something I've watched my parents deal with over the years, and I'm determined to communicate effectively rather than aggressively.

Thanks for your reply!

We've been to individual counseling (same counsellor) for a long time a couple of years back. That helped some, but she's now reluctant to therapy. Couples counselling has been brought up during some arguments but we've not taken action on it. I fear that couples counselling will not be very effective when the individuals have issues they need to resolve (individually) first, but I might be wrong about that. I don't want to be cornered by for example having to show affection a certain way when I don't feel like it's "me". A counsellor not knowing his/her way around AS could have a negative impact.

I'd like to be clear on that the kids are absolutely my number one priority. They are the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I have very good relations to them. Point taken though!

In the case of my wife, unfortunately I don't feel like I've gotten back as much as I've put in over the years. I think I can say that fairly objectively. For both her and her birth family, much of what they like to discuss is about what they will gain from it. So I'm not sure it's only about the way I communicate, it's also about how she listens.

I do feel a resentment towards my wife for things that have happened and been said over the years, that is hard to let go of. It is amplified by the way I was treated in school (bullied), because I think if someone has treated you bad once they can do it again.

I'll be honest and i don't want to get you down but it feels like maybe you two might not be incompatible. Intuitively i feel like something wrong may happen in your marriage and that there may be a storm coming. However, that is just intuition which i do trust sometimes but not always.

The way i see it, if you think or feel that you are mistreated then you should try to talk with your wife about this issue as calmly as possible. If that doesn't turn out well then maybe i don't think staying with her is a good idea, but because you have children this could make the situation a lot more difficult.

It seems to me that you're stressed out and it seems like you don't have enough time with the kids or seem to have some alone time. My advice is to try to talk to her openly how you truly feel and see if that works out. If not then i do not think things will turn out great. But this is just me.

I don't want to be cornered by for example having to show affection a certain way when I don't feel like it's "me". A counsellor not knowing his/her way around AS could have a negative impact.
ASD or not, nobody in the field worth his or her salt would make you do anything you find uncomfortable. My psychologist makes suggestions, but she doesn't tell me I "have" to do anything a certain way.

So I'm not sure it's only about the way I communicate, it's also about how she listens.
Fair enough.

I do feel a resentment towards my wife for things that have happened and been said over the years, that is hard to let go of. It is amplified by the way I was treated in school (bullied), because I think if someone has treated you bad once they can do it again.
These are things that you absolutely must go to counseling for, either individually or together. Resentment is one thing that can kill a marriage.

I'll be honest and i don't want to get you down but it feels like maybe you two might not be incompatible. Intuitively i feel like something wrong may happen in your marriage and that there may be a storm coming. However, that is just intuition which i do trust sometimes but not always.

The way i see it, if you think or feel that you are mistreated then you should try to talk with your wife about this issue as calmly as possible. If that doesn't turn out well then maybe i don't think staying with her is a good idea, but because you have children this could make the situation a lot more difficult.

It seems to me that you're stressed out and it seems like you don't have enough time with the kids or seem to have some alone time. My advice is to try to talk to her openly how you truly feel and see if that works out. If not then i do not think things will turn out great. But this is just me.

I appreciate your honesty. We have storms now and then. You make a good point that I need to get better at stating my opinion, and follow up on it. I guess it's a self-esteem issue.

ASD or not, nobody in the field worth his or her salt would make you do anything you find uncomfortable. My psychologist makes suggestions, but she doesn't tell me I "have" to do anything a certain way.

I'm sure you're right. I might have had bad luck before with that, finding the right therapist seems like it can be a long journey...

These are things that you absolutely must go to counseling for, either individually or together. Resentment is one thing that can kill a marriage.

I realize now that "resentment" might have been a bad choice of words (english isn't my native tongue). It's not like I'm constantly gritting my teeth, more like a sense of disappointment and thinking that things could have been so much better, easier. I have an appointment set up for myself to investigate the possibility of a diagnosis, I think I will have to start with that for now.

My husband and I have serious stormy periods, pretty consistently throughout our 13 years together. We don't fight as such, but we have periods of time when we're not that kind to each other.

I know you mentioned that you don't think couples counselling will work until you deal with your own separate issues, but honestly I think that will just end up being a reason to never get therapy together. When are we ever free of issues? Perhaps resolving the issues you have together will free you both to work on your own baggage without feeling pressure from each other to be a certain way. Finding the right counsellor will be key too. The only way things will get easier or better is if you're both feeling safe enough to deal with your feelings.

Also, trying to bring it up (therapy or talking or whatever) when there's not a disagreement going on will probably work better too, although for all I know you may have already tried that.

Good luck, I hope you both find some peace of mind :)

Somehow... Somehow you have to bring her back into the core of your life. Figure out how to make each other smile again. Get out of the rut of being the father of a household.

Take her out. Go to the movies or a weekend away with no kids. Focus on each other again. If you lock yourself away in hobbies or computers then it will get worse.

She is there. There was a time when she was the most beautiful woman you ever laid eyes on. She still is.

...more like a sense of disappointment and thinking that things could have been so much better, easier.

I've been married for 18+ years now to a so-called "NT"...but my opinion is that NO one is "normal". Everyone has issues. You and I have aspie traits. Our spouses have other problems. My DH also has rejection issues, though he hasn't even admitted that to himself yet.

Yes, things could have been "better" and "easier" if we had both been raised in extremely healthy homes with amazingly wise and insightful and patient parents who handled all of life's curveballs with grace and tenacity. But we didn't have that. So now what?

It's been tough. I'm not the wife my DH deserves. He's not everything I dreamed of. This isn't a sob story--he's an amazing guy who is extremely loyal and faces life with a dogged determination to make it through. But like I said, he does have his issues, many of which he won't even admit to, or is only just now coming to realize.

Point is, I can't control him, and don't really want to. As the true depth of my issues has been revealed over the past year, there were times where most people would have walked out on me. But he didn't. There have been times during our marriage where his issues would have scared off most other women. But I stayed. First and foremost, we're committed to the relationship, even when it sucks.

So then what do we do? One thing I've tried to do over the past year is to not approach him with any demands that he work around my issues, other than what's absolutely necessary (we've had to go for long periods of abstinance while I work through some flashback issues). He has chosen to work around some of my issues, but I've never demanded it or forced it. And there are times when he's too worn out to compensate for my problems or even to handle his own, so he doesn't. My job is to do my part as best I can, whether he's doing his part or not.

It sounds to me like you do have a good measure of respect and love for your wife, even if you're feeling neglected and taken advantage of right now. Is that right? If you were super-low functioning, it might be different. But it sounds like you're high-functioning enough to be able to tend to the demands of life even when the going gets tough. It might be easier if she was able to compensate more for your weaknesses, but it sounds like she has enough weaknesses that it's not possible for her to do that right now.

So I know it's hard. But sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. You love your kids and want what's best for them--that is obvious. Is it better for them to see their parents pull apart because neither is willing to account for the other's weaknesses? Or is it better for them to see their dad face into this life challenge and find a way to make this work, no matter what? Even if you fail, the fact that you courageously determined to do the right thing as far as you're able and then some, will speak volumes into their character as they're growing up, especially at this time in their lives when they're so closely involved with the situation themselves and have so much at stake.

Along with your respective issues going on, it sounds like there may also be some enmeshment and boundary issues that need to be dealt with. (I've faced this heavily in my own life with my family-of-origin.) My approach is not so much to demand that people around me make allowances for my problems...but instead to take ownership of the responsibility for my own growth.

That doesn't mean I keep putting on a show so others don't have to deal with the effects of my problems. In some ways, my problem behaviors have gotten worse. But I've been able to prioritize where I focus my efforts so my DH and my kids get the most benefit from the work I'm doing as soon as possible. My relationships with pretty much everyone else...my mom, sisters, other family, friends...have suffered in a lot of ways. But they're not my priority. First my DH. Then my kids. And all of that starts with understanding my needs better, understanding how to manage my energy better, understanding how to make choices that protect my highest priorities even if it costs me in other areas. There are times DH just doesn't get what he wants. And he's not happy about that. But I can't control his moods or emotions or opinions. I can, however, honestly and tenaciously work to become a better wife, even if it's not yet "good enough." That doesn't guarantee that he'll stay. But his choice on staying or not...on being happy with this or not...on doing the right thing or not...is HIS choice. I don't have to carry that responsibility. And the more I've realized that the burden for his decisions doesn't belong on my shoulders, the more freedom and energy I've found for shouldering the responsibilities that ARE on my shoulders...namely, my own choices and behaviors.

It's tough being an aspie. It's tough being a child abuse survivor. It's tough being married, period. It's tough being a recovering codependent. It's tough to keep going and keep fighting when it seems like everyone around me just wants me to be *normal*.

But our kids are watching. They're going to face tough issues in life, too. How do we want them to handle it? What do we want them to learn from our struggles?

I personally have to remind my wife (NT) regularly about my need for time alone and how it is not a reflection on my feelings towards her.

Getting Dx'd will help you persuade her of this. Until you get Dx'd, she's really under no obligation to accept your self-Dx. Possibly your needs and issues have other explanations, or possibly you're on the spectrum. Either way, Ereth is right that counseling will help. Before you engage in marital counseling, though, it would help your marital counselor to know where you are coming from and how your brain is wired. The marital counseling needs to be tailored according to whether you are on the spectrum or have some other issue that is affecting the marriage. Getting evaluated and diagnosed is key to making a marriage work, I believe.

Thanks for your reply!

We've been to individual counseling (same counsellor) for a long time a couple of years back. That helped some, but she's now reluctant to therapy. Couples counselling has been brought up during some arguments but we've not taken action on it. I fear that couples counselling will not be very effective when the individuals have issues they need to resolve (individually) first, but I might be wrong about that. I don't want to be cornered by for example having to show affection a certain way when I don't feel like it's "me". A counsellor not knowing his/her way around AS could have a negative impact.
In my opinion, there is a certain risk in people going to individual therapy in order to deal with relationship issues. Going to individual therapy in order to deal with individual issues would be different. But when the issues the person is discussing with the therapist are relationship issues, this person is talking about their spouse without the spouse being present. Their spouse can't speak for themselves, and the things said about him/her might be pretty untrue. The therapist hears about everything only from the perspective of the one individual, never hears the other side of the story. This can lead to that therapist dishing out some pretty mistaken advice.

although, re-reading your post, you said you were going to the same therapist.

Just wanted to say that I've read your very insightful replies, several times. Digesting it and hoping to know what to say/do in a while. Thanks!

Digging up this thread. We've now been to couples counseling a number of times. I have found it a good place to get my voice heard. Wife doesn't think it has helped at all, as she does not perceive any progress at home between the sessions.

It has shed light on that we indeed are very different. She now seems to consider my silence at home a huge problem. She's gotten extremely emotional in some sessions, the therapist has seemed bewildered at some of her reactions in there.

I think the next session will be the last there, wife doesn't want to go anymore. Therapist implied that we need to make our minds up about a few things until then. Easier said than done. One moment my wife is deeply negative, the next moment everything is bright and sunny. I don't really know what to make of it.

Thanks for listening.

New Threads

Top Bottom