• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Maps

I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but we're need a LOT of maps designing for a game world if anyone is interested? I've mentioned it elsewhere on the forum, but we're building a 'gamified school' based in a virtual RPG that's set in an alternate version of earth (to start with - we want to expand this later). The game map is huuuuuge (because we stupidly decided to give ourselves a challenge that most AAA game companies wouldn't bother with!), so all the different areas need mapping out in detail.

So if anyone is super bored and wants to create maps for fantasy cities/environments based on a bunch of concept art and info (and music, in some cases), then we'll turn your plans into actual virtual environments for you to walk around and explore.

Edit: I should add, there's about 5500-6000 terrain maps that need doing (each around 5km by 5km). Some for built up areas that are incredibly detailed and require a lot of intricate planning. Others for long stretches of forrest or desert with the odd point of interest, which is obviously a lot easier and faster to do (we can knock out a few of these a day, but the others take longer). Myself and one other person have been sat there designing each one ourselves, so ANY help would be incredibly welcome! :D

You don't need any experience in the technical side of things (actually building the VR environment), this is just the planning bit. So a bunch of 2D maps or city blueprints (for multi-level areas). Although if anyone wants to learn the actual terrain modelling part, I'm more than happy to teach you. For anyone who wants to churn out a bunch of maps for us, I'm willing to pay actual money (or buy you VR so you can explore the world you've helped design) as it will save us a lot of time!

Last edited:
Any interest in map folding? There are some pretty cool ways to fold large maps so that their content is still easily accessible. When I think about them, I get a little sad that everything is electronic now.
Now there is a dying art - folding maps. Much akin to folding engineering drawings

Oddly enough, one of my graphics projects is to modestly redesign the conference maps in the game known as "Diplomacy" (personal use only). I'm afraid the existing one I have left is in dreadful condition.

http://www.atarimania.com/st/boxes/hi_res/diplomacy_d7_4.jpg

Kind of impractical that they made the conference maps like the board of the game itself. I mean, in a private conference you're likely to be dealing with only one other player at a time, so both of you will be reading the map from the same perspective.

In essence, all that text that is sideways or upside down is for the birds. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I used to obsessively draw maps when I was a child, even through to young adulthood.

I used to do the same, but they weren't maps of imaginary places, but of the (real) world. 100% accurate as well, without needing to copy or trace. Africa was especially easy. Many here seem to have had the same "obsession" (a.k.a. "passion" if you're neurotypical). Could there be a connection? Why maps of all things?

I am also fascinated by maps, it began when I was 7 and continued until now. Also, I have a friend who drew imaginary maps.

I love looking/ starring at maps for no particular reason. I have a small collection of parchment maps (16-17 century) of where I live and surrounding areas which I love comparing to modern maps, I live in a Roman town so it can be quite interesting.

I used to stare at a car map when I'd stop somewhere for a takeout meal. No reason, it was like reading a magazine and it was less likely that I'd get lost at least in that area. Recently I broke out the North America atlas and read that when I need a break from screens. It's amazing how many actors names are city/town names, like Hollywood broke out a map to name their celebrities to be. And how many cities have the same names. If you read enough stories/movies/tv, it often seems like they just pulled names from maps to write their stories (Madlibs style). After a while it's not like "Wow, referencing that story", but more like: "oh, geez, another one"...

New Threads

Top Bottom