• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Males and females with autism show an extreme of the typical male mind

Saragrl

I found this study last night and had a total *face palm* moment. Do these doctors really believe that being being systematic is extreme male and and empathy is female? To me that like saying Spock is more of a man then Kirk. There is so much more to the human brain then this stupid measurement. Being trans myself, I really could care less if some one said I had male brain structures. To tell me I am extreme male is ******** science, even before I transitioned not a single person who knew me would say I have an extreme male mind.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/males-and-females-with-autism-show-an-extreme-of-the-typical-male-mind

At school my psychology class is evaluating a study done on autism by Baron-Cohen. I hate it. They just go on and on about empathisers, and systemisers, and the oh so obvious "extreme-male brain". I'm getting into trouble because I'm not paying attention or participating in discussions. :p

I think I would put in my input. I hate misinformation. I'm not a very big fan of his work. I think his thresholds for who is autisic is very low and is part of the reason why diagnosis has spiked. I think he is way off track on this extreme male thing. I know we can seemingly come off in that way, but we act that way we so for different reasons. I have seen people that are "extreme males". Yes they systemise, because they don't feel there is a place for emotions, usually out of social constructs. We systemise to make sense of a world that would otherwise overwhelm us.

While they don't seem to empathize to well, they very well have access to those abilities and feelings. Where our brains are wired in a way that makes it very difficult. Also when ever I hear that "extreme male" thing all I can think is he must think we are like cave men.

If this were true, then I would understand men better than I understand women, and men would relate better to female Aspies than other females. In my case, that is not true.

So, this is pseudo science that some doctor pulled out of his or her's *** to make headline news and further their fame and career as a certified quack ? :p

I think I would put in my input. I hate misinformation. I'm not a very big fan of his work. I think his thresholds for who is autisic is very low and is part of the reason why diagnosis has spiked. I think he is way off track on this extreme male thing. I know we can seemingly come off in that way, but we act that way we so for different reasons. I have seen people that are "extreme males". Yes they systemise, because they don't feel there is a place for emotions, usually out of social constructs. We systemise to make sense of a world that would otherwise overwhelm us.

While they don't seem to empathize to well, they very well have access to those abilities and feelings. Where our brains are wired in a way that makes it very difficult. Also when ever I hear that "extreme male" thing all I can think is he must think we are like cave men.
I don't participate usually anyway - I hate public speaking. It's me ignoring the teacher that's annoying her.
I wish someone would say something, though.

I found this study last night and had a total *face palm* moment. Do these doctors really believe that being being systematic is extreme male and and empathy is female? To me that like saying Spock is more of a man then Kirk. There is so much more to the human brain then this stupid measurement. Being trans myself, I really could care less if some one said I had male brain structures. To tell me I am extreme male is ******** science, even before I transitioned not a single person who knew me would say I have an extreme male mind.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/males-and-females-with-autism-show-an-extreme-of-the-typical-male-mind

But... Spock IS more of a man than Kirk. At least in a more chivilrious way, id say. Totally off subject, but i would totally date Spock before id ever look at Kirk. K im done, sorry. lol

Most people do get ruffled over the "extreme male mind" thing. It usually just makes me giggle. When I hear "all Aspies are male minded", I imagine a bunch of men and women in chaps, one leg up on a fence post, and spitting a stream of tobacco onto the ground and goin' "yup". And having a conversation that goes something like this:
Dude: "How'd it go with Willie last night?"
Dudette: "I dunno. Everything seemed fine, then he burst into tears and ran into the other room."
Dude: "Yeah, that happens with me and Margaret sometimes. I got a buddy in town that sells real good flowers, that usually makes it right. You might need to bring some to Willie."
Dudette: "I reckon so. Where's this buddy's shop at?"

But... Spock IS more of a man than Kirk. At least in a more chivilrious way, id say. Totally off subject, but i would totally date Spock before id ever look at Kirk. K im done, sorry. lol
Quite! Love your tagline under your avatar, by the way. =)

Simon-Baron Cohen's E-S theory. I think that he now uses the term hyper-systemizing rather than "extreme male brain".

Most people do get ruffled over the "extreme male mind" thing. It usually just makes me giggle. When I hear "all Aspies are male minded", I imagine a bunch of men and women in chaps, one leg up on a fence post, and spitting a stream of tobacco onto the ground and goin' "yup". And having a conversation that goes something like this:
Dude: "How'd it go with Willie last night?"
Dudette: "I dunno. Everything seemed fine, then he burst into tears and ran into the other room."
Dude: "Yeah, that happens with me and Margaret sometimes. I got a buddy in town that sells real good flowers, that usually makes it right. You might need to bring some to Willie."
Dudette: "I reckon so. Where's this buddy's shop at?"

Quite! Love your tagline under your avatar, by the way. =)

lol, thank you. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom