• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Making it through the year

Sheogorath

In September I started my first year in college. But only after a few weeks I realized I made a mistake. I told my mom I want to switch courses, so we looked into the alternatives I was interested in. The only courses that I liked didn't have the option for people who were "late" to jump in during the first week of Februari. That means I will have to wait until September before I can switch courses.

In meanwhile, my mother insists I finish this year. She says I shouldn't give up after only a few weeks (which is an understandable point of view) and should try to make the best of it. She also says the experience will always be valuable and it's better than 6 months of couch sitting and doing nothing.

Since my mom is the big sponsor of my education (she and my dad pay for everything) I try to follow their advice. But this is a difficult one: how am I going to "make it through the year"? It's extremely demotivating to go somewhere, working hard, knowing it eventually will be for nothing. I lost interest and the energy to study - which results in failure and humilation when I can't keep up with the rest of the class. Because of that, I am affraid my confidence will get damaged and I might go through 6 months of being unproductive - and disliking it.

...It's a strange situation and I would like to get some advice..

I'd think that virtually all parents want their kids to go to college. However that doesn't necessarily mean that college is for them in the first place.

In my experience, in my first and second years there were a lot of general education courses I had to fulfill. I couldn't "cherry-pick" many of them. I simply had to get through them. If you are serious about wanting to tackle college, that's mindset you must have in those first two years. To equally approach both electives and non-electives with the same vigor. If you can't or are unwilling to do as such, perhaps college is simply not for you.

But then there are alternatives...such as going to a vocational school where you jump right into whatever field of endeavor interests you. A very different experience from college! (I've been through both.)

One thing for sure though. If you continue in college, be VERY selective of courses you decide you don't want. That's a decision best made in the event you find yourself failing them rather than just being bored with them. On rare occasion this can be a "mechanism" of sorts to hone your grade point average given you discover yourself up to your eyeballs in a course you just don't understand. It happens!

Thank you for your reply, :)

I dislike this specific course and think I am not going to finish it. Because of that, I don't like the idea of being in that building with those people for 6 useless months to come. I am the most eager student you'll meet when something interests me. But when I am not interested, I am as productive as a brick. That's the problem. Not the fact that college is not for me, I think.

My parents aren't pushy people.. My brother didn't want to go to college, and my parents supported that. They know I want this, which is why they support me. Financially, too. I just try to figure out how to handle this year the best way. I hate the idea of wasting my time - especially when I have a mental to-do list.

Been their done that. It is bad mistake to quit. You will find it extremely difficult to return becaus life goes on, and you will not likely sit on the couch, but will find a job and then find it too difficult to return.

College has much more to offer than attending classes if you are so bored. You can become involved with theatre, environmental activities, work in labs that offer experience of what you want to do, the list goes on.

We always think the grass is greener on the other side. You will likely experience this desire to change paths thru your education. Think of it as sailing a boat across the water... maintain the course, don't get out and look for a better boat. The boat you are in is a good one no matter what your young mind thinks.

Are the classes basics that will transfer over to your new major next semester? Idk any normal four year school requiring no basics before the courses for your major. But if its for the major your dropping, don't quit. Lots of schools have financial aid laws where you must pass x percent of you classs each semester or you will be refused financial aid, or worse get put on academic probation where if u don't improve you will be kicked out. Plus if u do well enough you can get money from your school to fund your sophmore year or classes.

the only way I made it through college successfully was to tackle the classes I did not like was to devote myself to overcome, that usually required lots of extra timer. Those classes have greater strength in my areas of weakness. It would be nice if all our classes were what we expected but that is not always the way it works. Good luck... let us know what and how you do.

Been their done that. It is bad mistake to quit. You will find it extremely difficult to return becaus life goes on, and you will not likely sit on the couch, but will find a job and then find it too difficult to return.
That's because most people go to college because they want to get a job. As soon as they get a decent job, they won't return because they think they don't need it anymore. I want to go to college because I genuinly want to learn something, which is a completely different attitude. I have a passion for history and really want to learn about it. When I have a job where I don't have to think and where I don't get challenged, I am not a happy person.

College has much more to offer than attending classes if you are so bored. You can become involved with theatre, environmental activities, work in labs that offer experience of what you want to do, the list goes on.
My school doesn't. But even if it would do that, it wouldn't help me. I feel like I am wasting my time because my grades aren't good and I most likely switch courses next year. The side projects like the ones you mention above, don't change that feeling.

We always think the grass is greener on the other side.
Agreed. But that doesn't mean that everyone who feels they picked the wrong study just has it wrong. Sometimes it takes experience and time before you learn what you really want.

You will likely experience this desire to change paths thru your education. Think of it as sailing a boat across the water... maintain the course, don't get out and look for a better boat. The boat you are in is a good one no matter what your young mind thinks.
...And my better boat is a different course. At least, that's what I hope. But that's all one can do, of course; hoping. You never know you made the right choice until you make the choice and deal with the results of said choice. :rolleyes: Studying is expensive. Doing something you don't like, just for the hell of it, is not something I consider to be a good thing. I can switch to a different course, which is not a difficult thing to do. What is difficult, and that's what I need advice for, is what I am going to do with the remaining months? Should I stay and gain experience or stop and do something else? I could get my driver's license, do some volunteerwork, help around the house and other useful things..

Are the classes basics that will transfer over to your new major next semester? Idk any normal four year school requiring no basics before the courses for your major. But if its for the major your dropping, don't quit. Lots of schools have financial aid laws where you must pass x percent of you classs each semester or you will be refused financial aid, or worse get put on academic probation where if u don't improve you will be kicked out. Plus if u do well enough you can get money from your school to fund your sophmore year or classes.

I live in the Netherlands. :) We have a decent system, but it's different from the American one. If I get a diploma within 10 years, my government will completely fund my study. I only have to pay my debt if I screw around for 10 years and then still don't have anything..

the only way I made it through college successfully was to tackle the classes I did not like was to devote myself to overcome, that usually required lots of extra timer. Those classes have greater strength in my areas of weakness. It would be nice if all our classes were what we expected but that is not always the way it works. Good luck... let us know what and how you do.

You'll always have classes you like and classes you don't like - just like you said. :) I guess it's part of going to college and getting a degree. If that was just it, I could deal with that easily. The problem for me is that the entire course isn't for me. I'm attending lawschool and not liking it. I don't like the topic as a whole. Because of that I can't get the relief of attending my favorite classes or looking forward to the job I might get because of this.

Will you be able to get your propedeuse in your college year? It might be worth to do so, and then transfer to another field of study. I've had some people in my first study year who did the same.

I'm attending lawschool and not liking it. I don't like the topic as a whole.

Law school as in a 3 year post-graduate field of study?

If that's the case, the answer is as fundamental as your posting above. Quit. Use your undergraduate degree to find a job. I don't know about the Netherlands, but in the US there's an overabundance of law school grads looking for work in a precarious economy. I just can't imagine anyone going to law school who doesn't want to be there under such circumstances...even if government eventually reimburses you for tuition costs.

Last edited:
One thing else... talk to a Professor that you respect and ask for his thoughts. They tend to be experienced, extremely intelligent, and most will appreciate your confidence. I have most always found that to be an enlightening experience.

Can you switch to law classes that are somehow related to the field you'd like to go into next?

Just for example...if you're planning to switch to business school, you could take a business law class (which would also be helpful if you ever want to own your own business). That way the material you're learning will be useful in the long run, even if you don't plan on finishing a law degree.

I worked as an administrative assistant for a law firm while I was going to school for my education degree. I didn't think the two were related AT ALL, but I have used what I learned at that law firm soooo many times over the course of my career.

I learned about purchasing property, which was helpful each time we've bought a house (I became familiar with the process and allll those documents). I learned how to present a professional appearance with the letterhead, formal letters, well designed documents, professional and confident-sounding phone calls...that kind of thing. I learned how to use spreadsheets in actual business transactions. I learned how an office functions, which I would not have been exposed to in a typical education career.

Even though I knew I had absolutely zero interest working in law for the long-term, I've been so grateful so many times for all that I learned there.

One thing else... talk to a Professor that you respect and ask for his thoughts. They tend to be experienced, extremely intelligent, and most will appreciate your confidence. I have most always found that to be an enlightening experience.

The problem with my school is that they implemented this new system called "problem focussed education". It basically means you do everything on your own, and only ask for help once you're stuck and don't know what to do. It's not a very bad system, given the fact that it makes you responsible and independent, but they take it too far. Our teachers refuse to help us with anything. If I'd ask them for advice they would most likely just say "I don't know. This is your responsibility". The school actually got a warning for the way they treat their students.

When I want to talk, I message one of my high school teachers who I got along with very well. This person actually happens to know loads about law school. So although he isn't a teacher of mine right now, he could still help me out. I think I'd choose that anytime over the teachers I am currently working with.

I didn't talk with him about this, though. It would definitely be worth it to try this. I am going to give that a shot.

Thanks mate :)

Can you switch to law classes that are somehow related to the field you'd like to go into next?

Just for example...if you're planning to switch to business school, you could take a business law class (which would also be helpful if you ever want to own your own business). That way the material you're learning will be useful in the long run, even if you don't plan on finishing a law degree.

I worked as an administrative assistant for a law firm while I was going to school for my education degree. I didn't think the two were related AT ALL, but I have used what I learned at that law firm soooo many times over the course of my career.

I learned about purchasing property, which was helpful each time we've bought a house (I became familiar with the process and allll those documents). I learned how to present a professional appearance with the letterhead, formal letters, well designed documents, professional and confident-sounding phone calls...that kind of thing. I learned how to use spreadsheets in actual business transactions. I learned how an office functions, which I would not have been exposed to in a typical education career.

Even though I knew I had absolutely zero interest working in law for the long-term, I've been so grateful so many times for all that I learned there.

I can switch classes next year. This is like an "introduction year" where everyone has to attend the same classes to get a hang of what this course is like. However, some of the things I am doing now will be useful no matter which course I might do next year. The skills you learn are definitely applicable in other fields of study. So if I'd decide to go do a history cause next year, there are plenty of things I can learn in the upcoming few months that will be useful in september. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom