• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Major life changes?

Fluttershy

I've been fantasizing lately about moving across the country and just starting over. Ive been feeling really stagnant lately with my job and life, although not totally miserable. But I'm also terrified of major changes. A lot of my friends are just able to do things like that. How about you guys? Ever made a major life change? How did it work out?

I would imagine that your friends put a lot of research into the decision and create security like a job and a place to land - before that decision is made. Relocating has significant impacts to relationships, routines, knowing your way around, knowing what resources are available and where they can be found.

A difficulty with the geographic cure is that you take yourself along.
It's not that uncommon to find the same situations developing in a
new location.

Change is scary to me since I have a fear of not knowing what to do... Do you know what makes your life stagnant? If so, you could simply do something about that. Sometime a small change is enough to make things more exiting, too. But I've heard of many people who had their life changed for the better by going to live somewhere new or by travelling.

I found moving to Nova Scotia was a major life change for me. Many you know I don't enjoy it here. Even though I did move to get support from my father when I had no income, I should have study Nova Scotia more before I did the move.

Selling my home and moving to Nevada from California wasn't all that difficult given the difference in the cost of living. Turns out I love the desert and the mountains here. Scenic splendor I never had living in Bay Area suburbs.

I'm working on changing my life for the better, learning to mellow out in my old age and not get mad at everything and everyone, which kind of cost me the PDSA job (even though that wasn't entirely my fault IMO, see that thread I did in off topic about being called a "Deaf C word")

I was in a situation a bit like yours, six years ago... We left our jobs and went travelling for 8 months, then settled in a different country (where we still live). We really didn't plan much of anything, but we did know that we weren't very happy in our lives (although, as you say, not miserable). The first two weeks of travelling were pretty hard for me, not because of the travel itself, but because of the shock of lost routines, places, and people - all that "familiarity" just disappears overnight. We actually started investigating going back home, because I really wasn't coping very well - panic attacks, depression...

After a while, though, new routines start to form, the stress level goes down, and now I can definitely say I'm happier than I was before I moved. But it's not for everyone, and you'll certainly find it stressful for a while.

Major changes can be the best thing you can ever do for yourself if you plan each step in advance. I moved cities five years ago to start again and my life has changed so much since then.

I'm currently making adjustments again as these past years has gone all footsie. (expired in a way) I have begun by working less at my employment and making money from my artwork while injecting more life into my new and small social circle. Life is very good right now. I've also being invited out for dinner by people closest to me friend-wise. (To their houses or at a restaurant.) Next thing will be moving into a new place very soon not too far away in my current city and soon I'll invite them round to mine. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom