• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

I hate pop up windows and banners when I visit a site, popups trying to sell you something or trying to get you to 'like' something on Facebook, or trying to get you to subscribe. It's way to in-your-face and put me off visiting the site.

I hate pop up windows and banners when I visit a site, popups trying to sell you something or trying to get you to 'like' something on Facebook, or trying to get you to subscribe. It's way to in-your-face and put me off visiting the site.

I agree 100%! I know that advertising pays the bills, but when they are forced on you, they are a bit much. What I spend money on has very little to do with advertisements. My main reason being a VIP on Aspies Central was to get rid of the ad's.

I agree 100%! I know that advertising pays the bills, but when they are forced on you, they are a bit much. What I spend money on has very little to do with advertisements. My main reason being a VIP on Aspies Central was to get rid of the ad's.
Yes, I know that sites need money to run, or the site is their source of income, but they don't have to try quite so hard... for me it has the effect of putting me off buying the thing they are advertising. If people are irritated, they are less likely to buy. And there is nothing more irritating than an ad popping up while you are reading. I wasn't referring specifically to this site, but I had noticed that this site uses popups - though they aren't quite as intrusive as they are in other sites.

I hate the ads that slide in from the sides and bottom of
the page when I am on generatorland. The colored words
that take you to an advertisement are annoying. I know
a few people have looked at generators on that site and
clicked on the stupid highlighted words....and awaaaaaay
they go to an ad.

And then they think that I am recommending some product.
Which is why I point out that I do not have any connection
with the advertising on that page.

I am not picking on that site, in particular. I hate ads
that slide in and over material, anyplace they happen.
It probably works well. People click on stuff, just to see
what it is.

I hate it most when you're given two site subscription or 'like' choices to be able to access the content, such as "Yes, sign me up!" and "No, I don't like saving money." Or "No, I don't care about important world issues." Or, "No, learning more about my health isn't important to me." I get irrationally angry about them, and, unless I arrived by a particularly compelling link, I click away and try to avoid the site after. Coercion psychology FAIL.

I hate it most when you're given two site subscription or 'like' choices to be able to access the content, such as "Yes, sign me up!" and "No, I don't like saving money." Or "No, I don't care about important world issues." Or, "No, learning more about my health isn't important to me." I get irrationally angry about them, and, unless I arrived by a particularly compelling link, I click away and try to avoid the site after. Coercion psychology FAIL.

It's not irrational anger.. It's totally justified. They try to put words in your mouth.

People use intention and lack of education(actually is lack of knowledge, people always confuse them)as an excuse to get away from apology.
A:"Oh, I have no intention to XXX"
B:"We don't have much education, we don't know so much thing like you! Stop blaming us and mess everything up!"
Inner Me: "STFU, hurt is hurt, now apologize!"

The only places that I will give my phone number are places that I have a account. This allows them to bring up my account quickly so I can sign and get out of there quickly. I dislike stores in general, to many people and to much artificial overhead light.

Criminal scammers. I'm officially throwing in the towel over constant criminal attempts to commit fraud against me by phone.

The nuclear option. Not simply changing my number, but utilizing my "call acceptance" function. Rather than continue blocking endless streams of new and different numbers from scammers, I'm simply going to program the phone to accept only a handful of numbers. Anything not on the list will be systematically blocked.

Enough is enough. And my social reality is that next to no one calls me regularly anyways.

Criminal scammers. I'm officially throwing in the towel over constant criminal attempts to commit fraud against me by phone.

The nuclear option. Not simply changing my number, but utilizing my "call acceptance" function. Rather than continue blocking endless streams of new and different numbers from scammers, I'm simply going to program the phone to accept only a handful of numbers. Anything not on the list will be systematically blocked.

Enough is enough. And my social reality is that next to no one calls me regularly anyways.

And those few people who do call me, want something.

Governments which invent laws as and when they need to protect themselves. And trying to make me pay to be able to watch DVDs that I've already paid for on a TV which I've already paid for, using electricity which I've already paid for. WTF??? They cannot justify me paying them a single cent for that. So I won't. Annoying though.

Posts on facebook that try to minipulate you: there's the ego trip- "try this medical quiz! Even qualified NURSES only got 3 out of 10! Can you beat them?!?". Then there's the emotional blackmail- "If you don't share or like this image you are heartless!!!", and last but certainly not least there's the Facebook game adverts which either grossly over-sell the product or outright lie with copyright infringement by showing the pictures/footage of a completely different game.

The cook is always right: Some people believe that it's rude to want more sauce, salt etc on a meal. But this is not because the food is sub-par, it's because I, like many other people, just prefer food that way. The cook could be the best cook in the world and I'd still ask for sauce because people have different tastes! That's why menus exist!

*nervously coughs, then gets off his soapbox*

Last edited:
Posts on facebook that try to minipulate you: there's the ego trip- "try this medical quiz! Even qualified NURSES only got 3 out of 10! Can you beat them?!?". Then there's the emotional blackmail- "If you don't share or like this image you are heartless!!!", and last but certainly not least there's the Facebook game adverts which either grossly over-sell the product or outright lie with copyright infringement by showing the pictures/footage of a completely different game.

The cook is always right: Some people believe that it's rude to want more sauce, salt etc on a meal. But this is not because the food is sub-par, it's because I, like many other people, just prefer food that way. The cook could be the best cook in the world and I'd still ask for sauce because people have different tastes! That's why menus exist!

*nervously coughs, then gets off his soapbox*
Facebook in its entirety annoys the heck out of me.

I am annoyed by all ads except the ones for things I really like, such as Disney

I am annoyed by Disney :)

As a child, I would watch the movie, which interested me in the book, and I would get all indignant, because they changed so many things, and often I liked the book better.

And then there was the thing where they killed off all the mothers. It wasn't just Bambi, folks!

I
As a child, I would watch the movie, which interested me in the book, and I would get all indignant, because they changed so many things, and often I liked the book better.

Oh, right?!?

One specific example which bugs me more than all the rest put together, as a rabid Little House-phile who has a whole shelf full of related books and taken online courses covering the literature. Book Almanzo Wilder vs. Show Almanzo. In the latter, he's a jealous, hair-trigger doofus. In the books, he's stoic and heroic (and kind of attractive, goodness gracious!).

The role of the Dog in most stories.

I am fed up with the dog being used to show
the cruelty of humans.

What will happen to the puppy/old dog/protective
mutt when the bad guy enters the house?
How will the author/screenplay writer show that
the bad guy is a real worthless S.O.B?

Kill the dog.

How will the kid 'come to realize' the fleeting
nature of life? Let's have the dog: get hit by a
car or get sick & the family can't afford a vet, so they
'have to' shoot the dog or get old & you can think
over all the times he or she was loving toward you,
and regret those times are over....

Or the dog has to struggle and go through
considerable hardship and pain to survive, and
then dies, but "Life goes on," meaning there may
be a pup that resembles the parent and we are
supposed to feel that the spirit lives on.

Tired of all that.

Online forms, for the following reasons:

1. The form trying to get you to sign up your email address for different companies, just so they can harass you with sales updates and other spam - especially if the form just automatically signs you up with no warning to you.

2. When you go to say what country you are in - only to be greeted with an insanely long list of countries. A better option would be to type in the country where you're from and then have the form confirm that it's correct.

3. Those stupid squiggly letter/number tests where you have to type in what you see and hope it's correct.

4. When you complete the form (Scenario 1): You complete the form and click 'Next' - on which you get a screen saying you've been 'timed out'. I'm sorry, who was I racing?!

5. When you complete the form (Scenario 2): You complete the form and click 'Next' - on which everything comes back in red.
Form: "You screwed this up, you left that out, you embarrassed yourself here..."

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom