• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Linuxconfig site is BS!

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
Did you know that Linux Configuration Tutorials forces you to use an e-mail and complete some sort of order form, just to download an e book that I could easily attain at The Linux Documentary Program's site ?

I was looking for a bash tutorial and came across Linux config's site and saw that they had the beginners guide to bash scripting. I already got this from TLDP site but I looked around for other Linux tutorials and saw an ebook that I might need, online to be forced to effing use an e-mail and to give away my mailing address over some Goddamn free e book :/

I dunno, I sometimes think that the open source people are a lot worse than Microsoft sometimes.... If you think MS are little crooks, then you should see what the open source people are charging for courses in learning Linux, which anybody could simply find information using Google ...

Personally, I would rather give away an email than 'give away' thousands of dollars for Microsoft products. :)
I would also like to say that many of the products and tutorials people design/create take a considerable amount of time and in return they get next to nothing, so props to them for being so noble.

For these, and other email sign ups I suggest: Mailinator or any other webpage that allows you to access a temporary email.

The problem is that I tried using a disposable e-mail but they want some sort of mailing-like form that asked about my work phone, address, home phone, and etc as if it was really there business :|

I'd pretty cautious about it then. If its a free product, I don't see why they would need to collect any information about you. I'd imagine they might want to sell off your personal details to scammers, and advertising agencies - though, this is a "worst case scenario".

That's not open source people, that's people abusing the philosophies of open source (and the works they didn't create) for their own twisted gains.

It figures ... No matter what group your a part of, your always going to get people who abuse it :/

Oh yeah, the dilemma of freeware which comes at the cost of intrusiveness of one kind or another. Very frustrating. :mad:

There really is "no such thing as a free lunch". The first thing they teach you in college economics. :eek:

Last edited:
I had not heard of that site. Personally, I have found the Arch Linux wiki to be an excellent resource, regardless of what distro one is using.

New Threads

Top Bottom