• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Life After Klonopin

HelloDizzy

Bed-Cookie
V.I.P Member
A lot of you already know that I have been tapering off of Klonopin, which I've been on for six years (an extremely addictive and dangerous anti-anxiety drug) and I will be entirely done with it after about a week for two. Done forever, I don't want to ever touch it again.
Saying that in itself is hard for me, because it has become pat of "me" over the past several years. I was KNOWN for being on it in highschool. I reveled in that. I am in no way promoting pills of any kind, especially this one - it is probably the main reason I screwed up at two different colleges, probably the reason I dropped out of highschool - I didn't have panic attacks until I was on this pill, I only had anxiety before.

About 7 months after my mothers death when I was 16, I was put on this drug, and ever since, I have not dealt with anxiety any other way than to take pills. I was told by my doctor that being on that medicine could be the reason I'm entirely numb most of the time to any emotion. I don't feel anything. He said he had several patients who had to go into the hospital due to overwhelming emotion. I hope I'm simply not emotional and won't get like that. BUT, I DO experience anxiety!

WHAT am I going to do to control anxiety without Klonopin? People say deep-breathing but that has *never* worked for me. Ever. I don't know how to cope with or lower anxiety - before I was 16, I often had meltdowns due to anxiety (we didn't know I was Autistic. Didn't bode well.) If I didn't meltdown, I would either settle into a low little depressed mood, cause huge fights at school, and when I was younger and more functional, I would pray. That always helped me.

I don't want to see a therapist, not right now, and I have gotten some advice from the wonderful Arashi, and I would like anyone input on how to deal with strong anxiety after not feeling much of anything for 6 years. I think I was emotionally stunted at a young age (12) and that may have something to do with my increasing anxiety as I age.
My official diagnosis is: Aspergers, ADHD, OCD, and Discalulia.

Any advice would be great. =)

Dizzy.

I understand that you don't want to see a therapist right now, but sometimes they are useful in the short term for helping to learn life skills. It doesn't always have to be about psychotherapy, and it doesn't have to be long term. Just don't rule it out, is all I'm saying. And I commend you for making and pursuing this admirable and difficult life choice. It shows that you are a strong person who is willing to fight to survive, and thrive. I admire what you are doing.

I, too, was stunted emotionally when I was 12. I have suffered from anxiety and depression my whole life. Been on meds for the past 17 years. The last 10, I've been on Xanax (as well as several other antidepressants). I wish I'd never started on any meds. They have never done me any good and now I'm addicted to them.
You are very brave and smart to go off something like Klonopin. Those benzos are very addicting. I agree with what Bay said, too. I would also try vitamins, especially the B's. Get a really good multi-vitamin from a health food store. Check the label for the B's, make sure the percentages are high! B6 and B12, especially. Magnesium and calcium are good too, tho' you might need a separate supplement for those (you can get them together in one tablet, Cal/Mag, or something like that). Try to get them and start taking them before you are totally off the Klonopin, so they 'get going' in your system. You've been on that med for quite some time.........taper down very slowly. Remind yourself that you are doing something good for your body and mind and overall wellbeing by doing this, especially when you start feeling yucky. Dizzy, you are going to feel yucky for a while, but that feeling will pass and you will begin to feel better. Stay with the vitamins!!! Talk to the people at the health food store about what else might help you feel better while going off the benzo. Or do some research online. Excersize is also good for anxiety......
Let us know how you are doing with this. Good luck, sweetie!!!

The emotional numbness might not be from the med. Soup has it, and so do I to a lesser extent.
I don't have anxiety problems, I don't think, so I'm not much help. Some things I've heard in the past from others are meditation or exercise. You said praying helped, why not go back to that?

@Dizzy:

I am also currently weening off of Klonipin. I plan this to be the last that I take of this drug.

It has helped me somewhat over time but it has gotten to the point where I need to just stop.

I am doing this primarily because when I run out of Klonipin I do not feel well until I get my refill. Simply, I am addicted to it and need to end this dependence.

Thanks everyone. I can't afford therapy and no I'm not willing to jump through hoops to get therapy or money for therapy so don't bother suggesting it.
smith - I still do pray sometimes but my ability to fully believe in any higher power is constantly wavering.

NeverEnder - Congratulations on deciding to wean off of it - I hope it goes well for you, being reliant on something to where you feel crappy without it just isn't fun =(

Daily exercise for the drug withdrawal you're dealing with would be really good. 45 min/day 4-5 days a week would be excellent.. get that heart rate up..

I struggle with anxiety/panic/ for various reasons, so my sympathy and hugs to you in your fight against Klonopin, I know how it is :(

New Threads

Top Bottom