• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Letter of Introduction

Mary Horsley

My name is Mary Patricia Stark Horsley. I have lived in Virginia since 1978. I grew up in Lompoc, Calif. I was diagnosed with Infantile Autism when I was 2. I went to public school and was in speech therapy, though I have blocked it out of my mind. I finally returned to therapy in college. I always felt socially behind my peers and now wish my mom had kept me in kindergarten for two years. I was born into a very dysfunctional family so I did not have strong support. I am 62 years old, single because of being a widow, and need to work fulltime until retirement. I have one lovely daughter, Laura, who is 28 and will soon be married.

My passions are for Reggio Practices in Early Childhood teaching, my belief in the SonRise Program at Autism Treatment Center in Sheffield, MA, and my genuine love for children. I would one day like to bring them all together if I could ever find the opportunity to teach young children with Autism in a playroom that is a distraction-free environment. Son-Rise works and I am dedicated to bringing it to Virginia. I also believe in the environment as the third teacher and for young children with special needs, this should be as distraction free as possible. Health is also a strong concern of mine. As a person who has her own special needs, I know how the gut and food sensitivities can affect our children. Through my association with Dr. Michael Wild, I personally am healing my body. I want to help parents understand how to help, grow, and feed their own children with Autism. I can be done and I am proof.

But I am not perfect. I came out as Asperger Syndrome about 8 years ago. My clumsiness, my fears, my inability to handle too much stress, all because my brain is different. I stay in trouble at work and just can't seem to cope sometimes. I don't have much family and I do get lonely. I am still searching for my soulmate.

welcome.png
Great to have you here! :)

hi and welcome to AC mary,you have come to the right place. :)
i have infantile/childhood autism [AKA classic] to,but i was severely affected by it so my diagnosis will never change,its rare for a classic autism diagnosis to change to aspergers-it usually happens if your speech delay wasnt that significant afterall and you caught up quite quickly with SALT [speech and language therapy],so they are in a way saying you were under the asperger diagnosis the whole time,its probably a good thing for you as you have caught up but our community has members who were diagnosed aspergers yet they had significant speech delays 4 yrs onwards,they usually classify a significant speech delay as being 4 yrs onwards.
sorry,i waffle on about pedantic stuff.

New Threads

Top Bottom