• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Let me introduce myself

Hi Albert and welcome to AF.

Have you ever tried getting TTY / Relay service on your phone? I'm not sure what it's called in Germany but it's the service that deaf and hard-of-hearing people would use, so they can type their conversations instead of speaking them. It's been really easy for me to use when I have to talk to businesses or strangers.

Welcome, @Albert Wallner! :)

I'm from Germany as well.
I always find that it is easier for me to write people than to actually talk to them which is why I decided to check out this forum. :smile:
Does anybody else feel the same way? I would love to hear from you!!! :relaxed:
I also find it easier to write than to talk to people.
SusanLR's explanation applies to me, too:
Definitely it is easier to write than talking in person or on a phone.
It gives the time to compose what you say. I find in conversation I feel pressured and don't
answer as quickly as they would like. Or trying to put the right words together to speak.

Preparing for phone calls helps me a bit to get better at these though, at least at the beginning when I start the conversation. This only works if I am the one initiating the call though; I dislike being called and having to reply spontaneously without preparation and when I don't know what to expect.

Hi Albert and welcome to AF.

Have you ever tried getting TTY / Relay service on your phone? I'm not sure what it's called in Germany but it's the service that deaf and hard-of-hearing people would use, so they can type their conversations instead of speaking them. It's been really easy for me to use when I have to talk to businesses or strangers.
Oh wow I had no idea something like that exists.I'm so glad you mentioned it to me,thank you so much! :blush:

Preparing for phone calls helps me a bit to get better at these though, at least at the beginning when I start the conversation. This only works if I am the one initiating the call though; I dislike being called and having to reply spontaneously without preparation and when I don't know what to expect.
I feel exactly the same way. 100%. If someone tries to call me then I deliberately don't pick up the phone and just call them back later (if I have to ^^)

Oh wow I had no idea something like that exists.I'm so glad you mentioned it to me,thank you so much! :blush:

Glad I could help. It's a free service for everyone I've talked to in various countries, and you don't to be deaf or hard-of-hearing. Mutism and Autism or phone phobia are valid special needs. I've used it for quite a few calls now, and you just type the conversation back and forth with a person who speaks on your behalf. They can relay questions to you, etc. during their conversation. Then at the end you get a written and time-stamped record of the conversation for your files, which is also win-win.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom