• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Largest-Ever Genetic Study of Autism Yields New Insights

MarieMarie

Some kind of aspie, perhaps, maybe?
This doesn't mean much practical ATM. They've discovered a bunch of risk genes for autism, meaning they each increase your risk. The more of these gene variants someone has, the more likely they are to have autism.

These genes typically do stuff in the brain. Seems logical. So maybe eventually they'll discover more about how autism works - and how the NT brain works, it goes both ways.

This article is pretty technical. Probably there will soon be articles out that are an easier read (though also of course less exact).
NIH Director's Blog: Largest-Ever Genetic Study of Autism Yields New Insights

"The 102 new genes fell primarily into one of two categories. Many play a role in the brain’s neural connections. The rest are involved primarily in switching other genes on and off in brain development. Interestingly, they are expressed both in excitatory neurons, which are active in sending signals in the brain, and in inhibitory neurons that squelch such activity. Many of these genes are also commonly expressed in the brain’s cerebral cortex, the outermost part of the brain that is responsible for many complex behaviors.

Overall, these findings underscore that ASD truly does exist on a spectrum. Indeed, there are many molecular paths to this disorder. The ASC researchers continue to collect samples, so we can expect this list of 102 genes will continue to expand in the future.

With these gene discoveries in hand, the researchers will now also turn their attention to unravelling additional details about how these genes function in the brain. The hope is that this growing list of genes will converge on a smaller number of important molecular pathways, pointing the way to new and more precise ways of treating ASD in all its complexity."

This doesn't mean much practical ATM. They've discovered a bunch of risk genes for autism, meaning they each increase your risk. The more of these gene variants someone has, the more likely they are to have autism.

These genes typically do stuff in the brain. Seems logical. So maybe eventually they'll discover more about how autism works - and how the NT brain works, it goes both ways.

This article is pretty technical. Probably there will soon be articles out that are an easier read (though also of course less exact).
NIH Director's Blog: Largest-Ever Genetic Study of Autism Yields New Insights

"The 102 new genes fell primarily into one of two categories. Many play a role in the brain’s neural connections. The rest are involved primarily in switching other genes on and off in brain development. Interestingly, they are expressed both in excitatory neurons, which are active in sending signals in the brain, and in inhibitory neurons that squelch such activity. Many of these genes are also commonly expressed in the brain’s cerebral cortex, the outermost part of the brain that is responsible for many complex behaviors.

Overall, these findings underscore that ASD truly does exist on a spectrum. Indeed, there are many molecular paths to this disorder. The ASC researchers continue to collect samples, so we can expect this list of 102 genes will continue to expand in the future.

With these gene discoveries in hand, the researchers will now also turn their attention to unravelling additional details about how these genes function in the brain. The hope is that this growing list of genes will converge on a smaller number of important molecular pathways, pointing the way to new and more precise ways of treating ASD in all its complexity."
My Psychic Ability tells me when this gets to the popular media it will be garbled, misinterpreted, and nearly unrecognizable. My accuracy rate in this area is near 100%.

Yes I read an article about this a while back that was saying this was the way forward for autism research, they had tried to understand what genes were responsible for autism and found a very large number across the spectrum. It made me wonder though if they may eventually find different mixes of genetic causes for different areas of brain difference on the autistic spectrum.

I bet autism speaks are rubbing their Hands together in glee one step closer to eliminating The cursed autism.

It made me wonder though if they may eventually find different mixes of genetic causes for different areas of brain difference on the autistic spectrum.

That is a very interesting thought. Subgroups, on some other bases than severity.

I read the article.
It fits with my belief how our brains work is a genetic thing.
So much study on it lately.

New Threads

Top Bottom