• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lack of friends may be harmful to my future career!

Kempy

Wow, first to post in the "Rants" section. I think that says something about myself!

My special interest is film-making. I have a vast understanding of the technical aspects, as well as a powerful imagination to create effective films, but I am lacking friends to help with my videos as cast or crew.
Like most people on the Autistic spectrum, I find it very hard to express myself. I have found film a brilliant way to express my thoughts and feelings in a way that people can understand. Some of my best videos have been those that I have made completely by myself. In order to progress I need people to star in my films, as well as operate my equipment currently sitting unused. I can put a camera on a tripod and stand in front of it. I can even set up my lights for each shot, but there is no way for me to star in my films as well as holding up a boom microphone or moving the camera.
The simple solution seems to be that I should ask my friends for help. Unfortunately, friends are in short supply. I have a friend called Matt who has helped with several of my films as he has similar interests to myself, although he now works and doesn't have as much free time as he used to. His brother would he happy to be a sound recordist as he has a good knowledge of audio equipment, although he is only 13 and a general pain in the ass.
I have asked family to help on several occasions, but this is very difficult because they have absolutely no knowledge of film-making so any help is limited.

In the film industry, the best way to be successful is to make films, get them seen, get "discovered" and, well... make more films. I am nearly 18, approaching the end of my college (UK, not University) life. I need to be showing off my skills, but unlike pursuing a career in programming, I need a lot of help from friends. The few friends that I have simply don't care for my interest in film.

Wow, that was long, and quite fun. I think I found a new hobby!

Are there web forums for amateur film makers? I'm sure that there are clubs and stuff like that, although that may be difficult for some aspies. Believe me, among a group of amateur film makers you are not going to stand out as particularly unusual.

I think it would be a good idea to make a short film for the end of your educational career, and at the end of it to ask any graduating member interested in playing a role on screen or with relevant technical experience/knowledge to hit you up. Nothing says 'come' like a school endorsed film. ;)

I would have been thinking along the same lines as 142857.

I'd help you out with the sound side of things, but we're at opposite ends of the country, really. :p

New Threads

Top Bottom