• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Kaiser Assessment?

CMZ

I have had Kaiser insurance in California for about two and a half years now and it wasn't until today that I realized they did anything at all about autism. Found out because I was at a Target that just recently got a small Kaiser clinic built inside of it, which I thought was unusual but interesting, and they had a brochure there about what services they offered and it mentioned Autism Screening" under "Pediatrics and Teens." When I got back home and logged in and looked at their website I saw that under "Mental health and wellness in Southern California" it mentions, "At Kaiser Permanente, adults, families, teens, and children can get clinical and support services for a wide range of issues, including: Autism spectrum disorders (among others)." So, I'm thinking of possibly calling them up about this and seeing if my wife's guess that I am somewhere on the autism spectrum is correct but am wondering if anyone here has ever dealt with getting diagnosed with ASD through and support from Kaiser Permanente before. If so, I may have some more questions. Thanks, everyone.

Well, I got an appointment to go in next week for an initial consultation before I guess getting sent somewhere else for an assessment.

UPDATE: I did go for the initial consultation that lasted about an hour (end of March) and the MFT that conducted it said that she was going to forward her notes on to a PsyD so he could see if he thought we should do a more thorough autism screening. Well, it turns out that he did feel that way so I and my wife met with him yesterday for about two hours and he said we won't know results for about three months but that his initial thought is that I am on the spectrum. He said that it's been about in the last ten years that Kaiser has recognized that there are undiagnosed adults and that he is one of the people trying to catch all those who had slipped through the cracks before.

Last edited:
I did that! Well, OK, I'm pretty young, so my parents dealt with arranging it. But I did go through the evaluation, so I can provide you with any information about that if you'd like. I can also ask my parents about it, if that's not too weird.

I did that! Well, OK, I'm pretty young, so my parents dealt with arranging it. But I did go through the evaluation, so I can provide you with any information about that if you'd like. I can also ask my parents about it, if that's not too weird.

Did the results come back saying you were on the spectrum?

Ah! I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner.

They offered some, and we did decide to take the offer for a while, but, no, I am not currently receiving any treatment.

My daughter had one assessment through the phone on Riverside County and Psychologist said that she wasn’t autistic because she was verbal. Not very pleased with their service.

My daughter had one assessment through the phone on Riverside County and Psychologist said that she wasn’t autistic because she was verbal. Not very pleased with their service.

From my recent visit I learned that Kaiser seems to be getting better about properly assessing autism spectrum disorder.

CMZ,
I have Kaiser as well and just reached out to my primary care physician about ASD screening for myself. I’m pretty sure I’m on the spectrum but have never been evaluated. My doctor told recommended that I contact Kaiser’s Behaivoral Health Department, which I plan to do. How has your experience with Kaiser been since your previous posts? Did you ever get an official diagnosis? Thanks.

I am still waiting for the report/diagnosis from Kaiser. My assessment with them was basic gathering information orally. I have also gone to a different, independent doctor who scanned my brain and the results came back showing that I was on the spectrum and that I also had a touch of ADD.

Last edited:
Okay, I finally got my diagnosis back from Kaiser, and, yes, it was "Moderate ASD."

I am still waiting for the report/diagnosis from Kaiser. My assessment with them was basic gathering information orally. I have also gone to a different, independent doctor who scanned my brain and the results came back showing that I was on the spectrum and that I also had a touch of ADD.
Do you mind sharing contact info for doctor who did the scans?

There are interesting research articles at the link you have given, however it may be worth googling the overall picture of research on brain difference, as this is in it's infancy and is not yet used in diagnosis, because there isn't much data and research studies give varied results. So not sure that a brain scans worth spending money on yet...

New Threads

Top Bottom