• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just writing a cover letter for a job at CEX, should I put that I'm a disabled Aspie?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

So far I've detailed that I'm a 42 year old from Sheffield who's a very keen gamer and has an extensive games and DVD and Blu Ray collection comprising a variety of genres from action to sports and sci fi.

As you will see from my enclosed up to date CV, I have extensive retail experience having worked in a myriad of local shops (I haven't put that most of those are Charity shops, might put them off).

I am available to work up to 16 hours per week including weekends if required.

I can work any day of the week, particularly Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays and weekends if required as mentioned.

Is this any good? Is there enough detail and self promotion? Should I declare my disability and being Aspie? In the past I've done so and never got a job.

For those who don't know it, the CEX website is here.

Rich, this looks great. I think you have provided enough detail and plenty self-promotion. In this instance, I would go ahead and declare your disability and being an Aspie. You never know, this time may just be the big break you are looking for. Best regards and good luck.

Rich, this looks great. I think you have provided enough detail and plenty self-promotion. In this instance, I would go ahead and declare your disability and being an Aspie. You never know, this time may just be the big break you are looking for. Best regards and good luck.

Thanks George.

I might add it in and see what happens.

I wouldn't mention it in a cover letter or resume. Maybe once you get the job you could mention it in passing but also say that it wouldn't affect your ability to do the job.

I agree that you have done a great job in the text provided. I wouldn’t recommend you to write anything about your disability at this point. You should bring it up when you are called in for your interview, or further along the process.

Unfortunately there is discrimination when screening applicants even if it is illegal. Your disability is in no way affecting your job or any tasks described in the job description, hence it should not be relevant at all, unless you decide to talk about it.

There is no legal requirement to disclose being on the spectrum. I would say don’t put it on your CV, as it would not interfere with your productivity or undertaking your duties.

By your own admission in the past you’ve done it and never got the job, so something is putting prospective employers off. Try doing things differently and not telling them at the earliest opportunity and giving them the chance to bin your application without it even getting to the interview stage.

There is no legal requirement to disclose being on the spectrum. I would say don’t put it on your CV, as it would not interfere with your productivity or undertaking your duties.

By your own admission in the past you’ve done it and never got the job, so something is putting prospective employers off. Try doing things differently and not telling them at the earliest opportunity and giving them the chance to bin your application without it even getting to the interview stage.

Thanks.

I''ll just edit the document then because I did put it in earlier about being disabled Aspie, so I'll take it out and edit my CV to be a page shorter.

In my opinion unless your disabilities would prevent you from doing a good job or unless you need some special accommodations, there is absolutely no reason to put it in a resume.

I took the CV and cover letter in, detailing the hours and days I can work, up to 16 a week at minimum wage as long as I don't earn more than £125 a week.

I just contacted CEX via their website to check the process of my application. I doubt they'll get back to me but we'll see.

They got back to me yesterday, they said if my application is shortlisted, the shop will be in touch, that was literally a week ago when I took it in and still not heard back, smh, I am this close to giving up, I wouldn't mind but I didn't declare my disabilities, I've been advised not to.

Plus it's not my fault most of my work experience is in Charity shops, blame the government for my inability to get a "proper" job.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom