• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Junior Prom

Reedstorm17

So, junior prom is in less than three weeks. I've never been to a prom before, so I'm not really sure what to expect from it. I've been getting increasingly anxious as it gets closer.

I have a dress, and it's been fitted. I'm going with a close guy friend who I've gone out with a few times (He also has Asperger's). Everything needing to get planned ahead of time I believe is already planned, so that's good. I'm still a little nervous, though.

Have any of you been to prom before? What were your experiences? Any insight will be helpful in preparing me.

It's just a big party, usually with food and dancing. Just go, have fun, avoid drugs and alcohol, dance, eat, and enjoy. Then leave when you've had enough. Take some photos, too, for posterity.

In my opinion, it's kind of overrated. with every party i go to, i find i end up getting really overwhelmed and feeling like i wasted my time. i went to a prom for autistic people a few weeks ago, and it kind of sucked. there were only twelve people in a really cramped space, and no one even bothered to dance because the music was audible and therefore too loud, so everyone was either spazzing or rocking in a corner. It was too awkward to dance, so i just stayed on my phone and hated being there the whole time. i also had a significantly older dude following me around who wanted to slow dance because i was the only one who bothered to dress up. I don't have a nice dress, friends of any sort, or any inclination to go to prom, so i'm not doing it. A lot of people are telling me it's a once in a lifetime thing, but prom isn't really my cup of tea. However, instead of prom and graduation and all that, i will be going to an art camp and attending the semi formal they have there. It's still overwhelming, but a lot more fun than usual since everyone is a lot friendlier there. also my school prom is 85 bucks for each ticket, and you're expected to bring a date. i hate social gatherings and teenage parties with a passion, but that's just me. I can't think of any advice except to stick with your friends and watch your drinks if you get any.

I never went to a prom but did go to a few dances because I was "suppose to" and so I could wear a silly dress.(my mom sewed and at the time so I could wear whatever I wanted) Anyhoo, they are too loud, crowded, and filled with kids trying to have a romantic evening. Bring earplugs if noise bothers you, have a hiding place planned , and keep those expectations low. It's just a traditional dress up party and it's not a big deal. It might be interesting, it might even be some fun, but in the end it's just a party.

Prom I had heard was worse than the usual dances, being even more crowded and having bad food (we had no food or beverages served at anything else). Anyhoo, never enjoyed the other dances so I wasn't going to waste money going to prom. My only regret is that I could have went and wore a dress with a chicken with it's head cut off. Headless chicken on one side and the head on the other. Someday I need to find an occasion for that.

LOL! I'm an NT who went to many proms back in the 1970s. I agree that a prom (what does "prom" even mean?!) can be one of the most disappointing events of a lifetime. But it also can be fun and memorable and have great food and entertainment. I feel sorry for others who went to crappy proms and dances. I attended my share of bad ones and good ones in my youth.

Take earplugs and a healthy attitude because you actually might enjoy it, and you have a nice guy - a date - to take you. He must like you so maybe a budding romance going on? Don't think of the prom as Cinderella. Think of it as an adventure, just something new and different to do, with potential for enjoyment, and see how it turns out. If you and your date hate it, then leave and go somewhere else that you enjoy.

We didn't have these at my UK grammar school. That was in the 70s admittedly. Could be fun, I m not a party person but I hope you enjoy it!

I think that going with a close friend (or someone you are familiar with) is a great first step. I went to both of mine (Jr. & Sr.) with close friends. I would have never been able to ask my "crushes" out. I also hate dancing... it's so uncomfortable. So, I made sure I was with people who were interested in moving around (going indoors/outdoors). Basically I wanted to go, experience it (so I wasn't left out), be able to move around, be me, and be able to leave quickly if needed (if you have a car, or have someone who can quickly pick you up then even better). I am not going to lie... it's an overwhelming sensory experience (for me). I don't mean to scare you. Just want to be realistic (as objectively as possible).

I'm not going to the school ball aka prom this year so I can't be useful however I will go next year just to have gone.....so I'd love to know what's it's like and things from A non NT point of view once you've been best of luck you are braver than me

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I'm aware that it's going to be loud and crowded, but I feel like I'll be able to handle it for a few hours. I think there might be a separate quiet area, so that will be good.

I almost didn’t go to prom, depression kicked my butt all 4 years of high school and wore my self confidence down to a nub. I decided at the last minute to go and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! Didn’t dance cause I’m stiff as a tree, but I talked to people and had decent food (somewhere in downtown Chicago, a lil fancy) and just good vibes all around.
After party kinda sucked though, expectations vs reality in both situations were reversed.

LOL! I'm an NT who went to many proms back in the 1970s. I agree that a prom (what does "prom" even mean?!) can be one of the most disappointing events of a lifetime. But it also can be fun and memorable and have great food and entertainment. I feel sorry for others who went to crappy proms and dances. I attended my share of bad ones and good ones in my youth.

Take earplugs and a healthy attitude because you actually might enjoy it, and you have a nice guy - a date - to take you. He must like you so maybe a budding romance going on? Don't think of the prom as Cinderella. Think of it as an adventure, just something new and different to do, with potential for enjoyment, and see how it turns out. If you and your date hate it, then leave and go somewhere else that you enjoy.
short for promenade ! Wikipedia says it was originally like a debutantes ball as the children had never done anything like that before!
As a teenager I went to a disco once or twice and we had a Christmas party at primary school where I was forced to dance .

short for promenade ! Wikipedia says it was originally like a debutantes ball as the children had never done anything like that before!
As a teenager I went to a disco once or twice and we had a Christmas party at primary school where I was forced to dance .

Thanks for looking that up. I guess the guests or debutantes promenaded around the room in their beautiful ball gowns back in the old days.

I guess the thing I have to keep in mind is that I'll only stand out if I'm not dancing.
try just staying a few minutes longer if you become panicky! as panic lies to you !and if you dont run it just isnt that terrible idea you had !!!!

New Threads

Top Bottom