• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job suggestions

You should meet with a career counselor (They usually have them specifically for people with disabilities); They do here in Newfoundland and have helped me a lot.

As to possible careers, I'd suggest data entry. That's more or less what I've done at work and seems to fit well with the Autism psyche. Whatever you do, good luck.

I've seen several Disability Employment Advisers at the Job Centre, and most of them are worse than useless IMO, they don't even know their own rules on working hours etc for a start, one told me I could work as much as I like with no sanctions, one told me the limit was 10 hours a week, another told me the limit was £120 a week or 16 hours at minimum wage. whichever was the lesser.

Full steam has a great reply. I'm gonna think about his reply myself. Making sure the job not only fits your strengths/likes-but maybe more importantly for AS people, that the difficulties are not deal breakers. For example I would take a job that is a 5/10 that is easier and stress-free rather than a 10/10 that is super-stressful things about it.
There are the hidden things that NT people don't have to worry about. For example, I had a job in a hospital that was an old building that had a ventilation system that made me feel like I was going to die when it was on. Another issue is the commute. I need a stress-free commute or I get to work half-way to paralysis.

good luck on the job!

:)

Good points about ambient noise and commute.

Both things that hammer me into the ground also.

Loud air con gives me 20 minutes max before I start shutting down.

I also seem to need natural light. Most NTs seem happier with all the blinds set all day.

New Threads

Top Bottom