• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job Interviews

I just Google the company, get as much info on them as I can, print out a copy of my CV, put it in my bag, go to the interview and hope the interviewer isn't a complete idiot.

I went to an interview yesterday afternoon at the British Heart Foundation Charity Shop, and due to physical dexterity issues I can't fold clothes or deal with other stock maintenance, so I wanted to just serve customers, they said they were full and had no vacancies for customer service, I was like, WTF?! (Obviously I didn't use those words out loud).

Following the complete waste of mine and their time there, I went to another local Charity Shop and enquired about volunteering, but due to other commitments I can only spare Friday mornings to volunteer, and they said they were full on Fridays! I officially give up, every time I try and take a step forward in my career, I end up 2 steps back.

Usually I find information on the net about the company or business, so that I'm aware of what they do.

Then I do a trial run on how to get there, by bus or subway or car ahead of time, so that I'm familiar with the area and won't get lost, and know where I'm going if it's an interview at a specific time.

Then I prepare for the interview with a resume printed out, and some references from people I've worked for, and a character reference or two as well.

Usually the character references are people who have known you for a few years, and they can't be family members. I only give the references if there is an actual physical interview, and only if they are requested by the interviewer/employer. The character references can be friends or acquaintances, and it's a good idea to ask them ahead of time if you can use them as a reference.

When everything is in place, I practice in front of a mirror for the interview, and stay positive. I make sure that my clothes are tidy, and I look neat and orderly. I've timed how long it takes to get to the interview so I'm not late.

I show up on time, and take everything as it comes along, answering questions and providing a resume.

How do you prepare for job interviews as a person on the spectrum?
Find out as much information as you can about the company prior to the interview. Perhaps come up with a list of 3 or 4 questions for the interviewer. See if the company has information posted on glassdoor.com that could give you hints about its corporate culture. Finally, try to anticipate some questions ahead of time and think about good answers.

New Threads

Top Bottom