• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jazz

Free Jazz: A Collective Improvisation - Wikipedia

Right now, listening to Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman. A nice choice for this misty, rainy day.

The Prisoner (album) - Wikipedia

Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner

I don't see many fans talk about this one, but it's one of my favorites. I love the range of instruments (flugelhorn, flute, trombone, bass clarinet, electric piano, etc.), and number of players. I'm always curious about anything involving Hancock or Van Gelder.

Will be checking that album out. I've listened to a lot of Herbie Hancock, although, never did a deep dive, and hadn't heard of this album. Thanks for mentioning it.

Pouring rain today. It felt like the right mood for these two:

Miles Davis Volume 2 - Wikipedia

1958 Miles - Wikipedia

I think the latter collects all the Bill Evans/Davis stuff not on Kind of Blue. And I really love Coltrane's playing on "On Green Dolphin Street."

I don't listen to jazz exclusively, but I have some on my playlist,
Take Five, Dave Brubeck (1959)
Feels So Good, Chuck Mangione (1977)

I am told that this is orchestral jazz [fusion?],...
Peter Gunn Theme, Henry Mancini (1958)

Fusion is jazz influenced by rock and/or funk music. Orchestral could depend. There is Third Stream (jazz and classical), but jazz itself can be orchestral (i.e. Ellington, Henderson). To me the "Peter Gunn Theme" seems more like a rock song with a jazz sound, but maybe Loren would disagree.

Gettin' Around - Wikipedia

Dexter Gordon - Gettin' Around

This is one I forget about sometimes, but it's a great album. I enjoy Bobby Hutcherson, too. There's nothing quite like vibraphone.

Brandenburg Gate: Revisited - Wikipedia

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Brandenburg Gate: Revisited

This one doesn't seem to get much attention, but I love Brubeck's Third Stream revision of the title piece, originally done on Jazz Impressions of Eurasia:

Right now, listening to:

Jazzmessengerscolumbia1956.jpg

The Jazz Messengers

This has quite a lineup, with Art Blakey, Hank Mobley, and Horace Silver.

New Threads

Top Bottom