• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I've been thinking...

Hidden_1

I had to sit in a doctor's waiting room for a while this morning. I began to realize how much effort I was expending to remain still and quiet. I was fighting urges to fidget, tap my feet or make noises. Does anyone else have similar problems?

I had to sit in a doctor's waiting room for a while this morning. I began to realize how much effort I was expending to remain still and quiet. I was fighting urges to fidget, tap my feet or make noises. Does anyone else have similar problems?

Yes, but I just go ahead do it. One of the nice things about being old & grumpy is that people expect me to act...well, old & grumpy. You should try it, your old enough. What I notice while waiting in a doctors waiting room, is that everybody else is playing with a phone. I just do not understand how one can be entertained by a phone.

Yes I find it hard to keep still, under those circumstances. Swing my feet, look through my purse, walk around, wash my hands, anything to dampen down the anxiety of being in a room with strangers and bright lights and noise.

Yes, I find it hard too. Sometimes I accidentally rock or make silly noises. But for me I think it's also partly from my anxiety, as I find it hard to relax at doctors' offices.

I know how that feels. I had to sit still in court today. Thankfully they had me out in 20 minutes, but I sure had to fight to keep from fidgeting! Mostly I just surfed FB on my phone, but my lawyer had me getting up and down, moving around the room pretty regularly so i didn't have to sit still for too long. If I have to sit for more than about 10 minutes I start leg bouncing, fingertapping, or just generally fidgeting, with lots of getting up to pace.

When I'm waiting I can't help but fidget. Usually my leg will jump, or I'll tap out a rhythm with my fingers. I tend to pace a lot if I'm standing. I also have a fidget toy that I take with me sometimes.

I just do not understand how one can be entertained by a phone.
Because they're not phones, they are pocket PCs with camera and phone functionality. Most people are probably texting, but they could also be on the internet, watching movies, or playing games. I've even known people who compose music on their phones.

Last edited:
I was having a growing problem with grinding, enough that it got my dentist's attention. A night mouth guard seems to have helped a lot, even during the day. I am much more aware of jaw tension.

As for rocking, I manage to keep it subtle, I *think*. But sitting quietly is pretty difficult, unless I'm thinking about it and locking myself down hard. Which brings its own stress.

New Threads

Top Bottom