• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Isn't This Also Sexist

Openly sexist, or is this really just a "tongue-in-cheek" gesture to promote a product? Perhaps some of us are beyond accusations of political correctness when it comes to advertising.

After all, in America some advertisers have progressed towards playfully mocking such distinctions over products previously intended exclusively for men or women.

Legally speaking I don't think the US takes such issues quite so seriously as does the UK. That we have different thresholds for what might constitute personal or advertising injury.

Last edited:
I always thought pot noodle was aimed at lazy young men.
I just thought it's (Yorkie)aimed at men sexist wasn't the uppermost thought but bad marketing as it was just!!!!!! a truck driver.

Last edited:
I wonder if women can be 'sexist' i think those strict feminist throwing trash at men are very sexist. If you go by the dictionary.

Strictly speaking, yes. I just find some of the things privileged white feminists (and their predictably reactionary anti-feminist counterparts) choose to focus on dumb and distracting. With so many inequity issues affecting women's actual livelihood, pick another hill to die on.

While I think the chocolate advert is aimed at challenging men to finish the whole bar of manly chocolate to prove their manliness,
(somewhat tongue in cheek)

What's the most effective way to ensure sales of a product?
Unavailability.

Convince a person they can't have a product and they want it all the more.

Stimulate curiosity around product:
Why is it just for men? What's different about manly chocolate?

I'm certain the marketing campaign hiked up sales.
(although I have no data supporting this claim)

I for one, thought it a clever ruse to get people to part with their money :)

I once saw a sign at York railway station saying "Welcome to York - where the chocolate is chunky and the men are hunky". If they had made an equivalent statement about the local women, feminists would be up in arms!

Chocolate is chocolate. Real people don't form their lives around what idiocy they see in a chocolate ad.

Yeah. Much like 24/7 Broadcast Cable News, they don't care whether you love or hate the message. Only that either "consume" their product- chocolate.

Though not every product is so easily above such scrutiny. Evident when you see longtime product brands like "Aunt Jemima" and "Plantation Mint" tea to be "gone with the wind".

Yorkie: Some very clever, very cunning negative psychology at work here. Tell a person that they can't have something, then they immediately want it. Also explains the popularity of certain other banned, censored or illegal products.

But reading this news story, '...“Sexist” adverts will be banned next year under a crackdown on damaging gender stereotyping...'
"Sexist" ads showing women doing all housework to be booted off TV-screens

I wonder if these types of bans have any practical effect. Like, if commercials involving housework show men and women doing an equal amount of chores, will this actually start to become a reality? I doubt it. Seems like everyone is obsessed with the appearance of racism, sexism, etc. but not with actually addressing them.

I wonder if these types of bans have any practical effect. Like, if commercials involving housework show men and women doing an equal amount of chores, will this actually start to become a reality? I doubt it. Seems like everyone is obsessed with the appearance of racism, sexism, etc. but not with actually addressing them.

Television commercials are entirely designed to offend the least number of people possible. Get one powerful group on the right or the left really angry at you and you lose more sales than you gain. They are typically a lagging indicator of what is going on in society. If something is shown in a commercial it is because the advertising agency did some research and decided overwhelming public acceptance exists. Sometimes they do get it wrong, though.

There was a time in the not-so-distant past when a man doing housework in an ad would not have gone over well, nor would a woman doing heavy physical labor.

I think most men today do some housework. I vacuum and do laundry and often make the bed. Most of the men I know do the same things.

Seems like everyone is obsessed with the appearance of racism, sexism, etc. but not with actually addressing them.
It's easy to be offended in an armchair. Jump on the bandwagon from a keyboard.
Things are changing, they just change relatively slowly, and as mainstream media reports the negative, it can keep looking like nothing is.

I think the whole world has gone completely mad with political correctness. Apparently I should be part of a white supremacist cult because I read Dr. Seuss as a kid. It feels like everything I harmlessly enjoyed as a kid and still do now is evil and racist and I'm not racist, although I am evil.

Here is a listing advertising a tent which potrays 3 women struggle to assemble a tent:-

Edinburgh camper told 'get a life' for calling out sexism on Amazon tent listing
That's a kind of old-school thinking that doesn't go over very well with a lot of people these days. OTOH, the people who still think this way will react negatively to the people who object.

Amazon is under no legal obligation to do anything about the ad - nor should they be - but if enough people got together they could cause an economic impact Amazon would pay attention to. That's how these things should be handled. The real question is whether enough women (and men) could be got to either boycott or complain to make a difference.

I have seen spectacular protests spool up over some fairly obscure complaints but it is a matter of getting the right "influencers" to take up the cause. Once that is done they have their minions who will go to social media war without ever seeing the original issue that is being protested over.

But I see on the article linked to that the content has been removed, so that's the end of that I suppose.

Last edited:

One would think that if ads showing women doing housework were objectionable to women then those women would simply not buy those products. Vote with your pocketbook. Ad policies would change to recapture the market. If women, in general, made no complaint to the seller and kept buying the product anyhow then there obviously isn't a big objection to the ads and no need for concern.

Are women thought to be so weak they are incapable of making such a decision?

Big Brother knows what is best for you.

My own dad will eat chocolate and not care if it's "manly" or not. A couple weeks ago my mom even bought him a box of chocolates shaped like cupcakes with pink sprinkles in a very pink box, and when I sort of jokingly pointed out how girly it looked, mom said dad wouldn't mind as long as the chocolate was good.

New Threads

Top Bottom