• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is your life better after accepting AS?

2wheels4ever

For me it puts to rest alot of embarassment from fauxpasing and open stimming, I can equate it to recognizing skin color or other visible differences, on the other hand, just got told this earlier in the afternoon; since there is nothing visibly wrong with me, all my emotional chaos is due to 'bad parenting', and the fact that even when I stand at a microphone in front of a safe, non-judging group and admit my AS, that seems to negate about 9 out of 10 people that would have come up and talked to me. But then again few would have done so anyway. And then it's good to know MDs aren't anything to do with some psychosis

I don't know if its better. I know that I find that people who knew me before and were my friends don't care they don't notice anything different. Some people I knew and tried to tell because I thought it would make our relationships stronger or at least understandable but for those people it made it worse than worse. New people it's 50/50. Some react well others don't if they can't handle it they weren't true friend material anyway. Shrugs. I don't know the answer for me. it has been an eye opening experience as to why my life has been like it was.

My life is better because I am less hard on myself. Throughout my life I have tended to adopt other people's negative perceptions of me, even though deep down I felt that they could not be right. So, now I can acknowledge that I am not lazy, that I do try to overcome my shyness as hard as I can, that I am not trying to insult people or treat them as inferior, that it wasn't my fault if I was too trusting or was bullied, etc. Being able to finally accept myself as I am (well, learning to anyway) has been a gift.

Not exactly. Now all of my behavior is dismissed because I have Aspergers or something or everything I say is attributed to it. So now I'm the syndrome, not a person.
At least sometimes.
I've accepted certain things and located what I need to work on due to my diagnosis, which may turn out good.

I wouldn't say it's either better or worse. It makes a lot more sense, and I understand myself more, but the problems I had before diagnosis are still present. Nothing has changed in that respect.

New Threads

Top Bottom