• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

is this compatible with aspergers Dx?

The problem here is people also make replies based on personality, experience and opinion. There's more mixed into the responses than purely Aspergers. Also, the out working of Aspergers can be different for each person.
Do you mean Autism or Aspergers? It's still useful to make the distinction. If it's Aspergers you are interested in, try getting hold of a copy of Tony Attwood's The complete guide to Aspergers. It's available on amazon, but probably also at your local library. You might find he is more objective.

(Edit: changed 'pure aspergers' to 'purely aspergers'. Hope this improves clarity)
I mean the entire autistic spectrum. I have read loads about it. It always begins with the general "social difficulties with repetitive behaviors", then just goes into examples that "most" or "many" have. The scope is never defined. Most people fit OK either as autistic spectrum, NT, or somewhere between the two. I don't.

You both may appreciate the comparison that could be made to Alzheimer's Disease's place in the DSM V and that it bears the problem of differentiation from aging.

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/art...onfusion-about-aging-alzheimer’s-and-dementia
I have experienced a bit of alzheimer's...I got mixed signals from that read...it is quite different than just aging...I saw individuals undergo a complete transformation of personality and see it as genetic in nature.much the same as I feel about autism...to put it in the perspective of a computer,they are genetically predisposed to end up with a corrupt boot sector that can no longer run all programs

I just want to refer to my profile that "not sure if I have Asperger--officially diagnosed with Asperger" is not listed as an option. Since I did want to show that I was officially diagnosed, I had to include the other part with it. I saw a write-up from one of the doctors who diagnosed me, and that write-up showed that he did not understand me at all. Whatever my condition, it is severe, and is not "between" AS and NT.

I mean the entire autistic spectrum. I have read loads about it. It always begins with the general "social difficulties with repetitive behaviors", then just goes into examples that "most" or "many" have. The scope is never defined. Most people fit OK either as autistic spectrum, NT, or somewhere between the two. I don't.
Maybe you'd like to share where or how you feel you don't fit. I know you have examples in your first post. Maybe you can expand on it.
As far as 'coldness' is concerned, I think you will find that is an NT's interpretation of aspie behaviour, not how an aspie actually feels or would describe themself.
Have you discussed your concerns with whoever gave you the diagnosis?
To be honest, I've bought a few books that I hoped I could use to explain Aspergers to others. But most of them I don't relate to so I haven't used them. Attwood's book is too fat to share, but it's still the best out there.

Last edited:
I have experienced a bit of alzheimer's...I got mixed signals from that read...it is quite different than just aging...I saw individuals undergo a complete transformation of personality and see it as genetic in nature.much the same as I feel about autism...to put it in the perspective of a computer,they are genetically predisposed to end up with a corrupt boot sector that can no longer run all programs
Oh absolutely. I have seen Alzheimer's play out. And know the molecular side of aging versus Alzheimer's has some key differences. As a side note: I did my graduate work in neurodegenerative molecular genetics (but specifically surrounding trinucleotide repeat disorders).

But the fact that both ASD and AD are assessed in controversial matters per the DSM-V goes to the fact that the use of the DSM is for assessment that is almost entirely restricted to the biomarkers found in behavior. So it is very much about the outside perspective behaviorally and not about the biology, per se. One would not use DSM qualification of AD in inclusion criteria, alone, on AD drug clinical trials. Biological biomarkers and family genetics are what supports differential patients in such trials.

Maybe you'd like to share where or how you feel you don't fit. I know you have examples in your first post. Maybe you can expand on it.
As far as 'coldness' is concerned, I think you will find that is an NT's interpretation of aspie behaviour, not how an aspie actually feels or would describe themself.
Have you discussed your concerns with whoever gave you the diagnosis?
To be honest, I've bought a few books that I hoped I could use to explain Aspergers to others. But most of them I don't relate to so I haven't used them. Attwood's book is too fat to share, but it's still the best out there.

I have not discussed this with those who gave me the AS diagnosis because I am afraid that I will be unclassifyable. But I did read their write-up on me, and it is mostly erroneous.
There is no evidence that I have any trouble with non-verbal communication. I do not lack empathy at all; my empathy is probably too strong. (NOTE: Empathy has nothing to do with caring. It is a perception.) I also have no problem with reciprocity, as long as I want what they give, and they want what I can give. The primary cause of my problem is not social, it is Environmental Interface (EI). Since EI is the most important thing to NTs, my problem with it makes me incompatible with people, and their demand for me to have EI causes me to fear them. The problem with EI also causes my interests and abilities to differ profoundly from NTs. For example, I have no interest in stories about things going wrong (which is the plot of every fiction story I have ever heard of.) Not only do I have a problem with EI, I also have no interest in it concerning other people. My problem in communication is in the message itself, not the style. Because of EI problems, as a child I did not like games or athletic behaviors. I did very much have imaginary play, but no games. As an adult, I have no degrees, or job, or car, or ability to live on my own. I also have no sex, because my mind developed so much internaly so quickly, that by the time I was 6 years old, there was no more room for any psychological change. I cannot make friends because we have nothing superficial (i.e. environment-related) in common. But if someone I like wants me to be their friend anyway, my friendship would have all the personal warmth, affection, and “mind reading” abilities of any NT, and then some.
Compare this with the Wikipedia article on AS. Perhaps a new diagnostic category “Brain in a Jar” should be added for those like me.

Ever consider a second or even third independent evaluation?

In my honest opinion,wiki is a quick guide to determine if your studies should continue in an area.

Ever consider a second or even third independent evaluation?

In my honest opinion,wiki is a quick guide to determine if your studies should continue in an area.
But do you think I am compatible with this forum?

But do you think I am compatible with this forum?
I feel that anyone who likes it here is welcome...I see your posts and it appears that you are the one who can best answer that .
It is not a requirement to be spectrum to participate,but it kind of goes that way with us in the same area trying to compare and help each other with what works for us. It seems that you are in doubt that you have asperger's and my only suggestion is to seek another opinion of it...You might get a different diagnosis or the same...if you absolutely have to know,seek further opinions...I think you are trying to absolutely fit a text book description of AS which has many flaws in what is a subjective diagnosis,not a look up the symptoms and treat it kind of problem like a broken arm...not all pros get it right...it cannot be treated and at this point,they can only poke at it with a stick and see how well each method works to help alleviate individual problems. One of the nice things about this forum is the cross section of individuals who have our disorder and the many ways each one gets what they need to cope.
If you think you fit in,stay...it is about your comfort level here at AC,not what others think of you... ;)

I feel that anyone who likes it here is welcome...I see your posts and it appears that you are the one who can best answer that .
It seems that you are in doubt that you have asperger's and my only suggestion is to seek another opinion of it...You might get a different diagnosis or the same...it is about your comfort level here at AC,not what others think of you... ;)

I definitely will not get a different diagnosis. It's either Asperger (or NOS?), or it is not yet in the DSM (or ICD). To have something severe and no category to show for it is scary.
But I thank you for welcoming me here. It's here or nowhere.

New Threads

Top Bottom