• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is living a 'full life' realistic?

Slithytoves,
Intolerances to all the usual culprits which makes diet very restricted (gluten, wheat, barley, dairy, egg, yeast & soya).
I am happy being who I am and if I could choose not to be autistic, I wouldn't. I don't want to be like most people - I just wish they would have some respect for difference.
I suppose I haven't really tried rejecting people's perceived helpfullness yet because I've only been diagnosed for a few months - pretty much all of my life so far has been spent believing that I'm inadequate and people are right to say I should change!

Slithytoves,
Intolerances to all the usual culprits which makes diet very restricted (gluten, wheat, barley, dairy, egg, yeast & soya).
I am happy being who I am and if I could choose not to be autistic, I wouldn't. I don't want to be like most people - I just wish they would have some respect for difference.
I suppose I haven't really tried rejecting people's perceived helpfullness yet because I've only been diagnosed for a few months - pretty much all of my life so far has been spent believing that I'm inadequate and people are right to say I should change!

Ariel. Most people form groups, cults, parties because they are so dissatisfied with themselves and their inability to think straight and clearly. They choose to run with a herd because there is safety in numbers. Their willingness to follow, gives them the confidence to face each day being easily misled, average and gullible.
Dare to be great!

Last edited:
Ariel, they are misguided and uninformed. ASD is neurological, biological, not mental. We can learn to work with the different way in which we process and understand information but, we can't actually fix it. We can learn to control our tongue and, not always say what we think but, we can't stop thinking it. We can train ourselves not to react o sounds, sensations and other things that bother or even hurt us but we can't stop feeling upset, bothered or hurt by those things.

In short superficial changes that mask our ASD to some degree are possible but, changing the ASD itself is not possible. Anyone the expects you to do so is misinformed and misguided.

Thanks. Gosh, I'm in such a bad mood!
It is sad that most people run with the herd, but life will be easier and kinder to them as a result and they will be non-the-wiser. Employment and making the most out of your autism-associated capabilities is not possible without some level of engagement with these people.

New Threads

Top Bottom