• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is law enforcement a good career for Aspies?

See that is the part about being a cop that I wouldn't look forward to, the bad attitudes towards guys with the badge. The low opinions people in general have of police officers would likely make me upset at times. I can see the situations where I am simply trying to do my job and people start accusing me of abusing my power.

If you become a cop, you're part of the problem, not part of the solution. It's your fault people have to pay school taxes and send their children to bully-infested schools.

Not everyone who has the law-enforcement obsession cares about being a part of the "solution" nor the "problem." I intend on becoming a cop just so I can study serial killers.

Let's please focus on the question of whether or not law enforcement is a good career for aspies instead of criticizing those who want to go into that field.

The way I see it, you should do anything you want. I am a seminary student, which really shouldn't be an aspie line of work, but I love it and I am doing it all the same. We are not defined by any diagnosis, we do not live in a world where aptitude tests determine what we do with our lives. Will there be some added difficulty? probably, but don't let that stop you! Aspies face challenges everyday that most people don't, so what are a few more? Unless you don't like showing off. We're still human beings and deserve to have every oppurtunity open to us, best of luck to you!

The way I see it, you should do anything you want. I am a seminary student, which really shouldn't be an aspie line of work, but I love it and I am doing it all the same. We are not defined by any diagnosis, we do not live in a world where aptitude tests determine what we do with our lives. Will there be some added difficulty? probably, but don't let that stop you! Aspies face challenges everyday that most people don't, so what are a few more? Unless you don't like showing off. We're still human beings and deserve to have every oppurtunity open to us, best of luck to you!

Good point. Being an Aspie means we have a potential variety of socialization challenges somewhat different from our Neurotypical counterparts. However it doesn't mean we unilaterally despise socialization itself. Some of us do, some of us don't. It just means when it comes to critical choices like a career, we have to work the problem a bit more.

A track star who competes in the high hurdle events does so because they like them. They don't avoid them simply because they are in fact, hurdles. Life itself has plenty of hurdles, whether one is Aspie or not.

It's also worth considering that law enforcement isn't a single occupation. It is comprised of many occupations...some which may or may not involve socialization concerns within or beyond one's perceived capability. So again you work the problem...

Last edited:
I have been recently diagnosed AS. I have been a correctional officer for over a year. It is the first job I have had I seem to really like. I work overnights so no need to interact much. I make people follow rules which I know better than anyone else. As far as not being able to read the emotions inmates are much more dramatic their emotions are much more obvious most of the time. Inmates are constantly trying to get one over on you and my natural tendency for skepticism and following the rules makes it hard for them. The only negative I have had is the thin blue line. I noticed some officers failed to do their job. They would sleep and skip rounds and things like that. I turned them in. I got a lot of pats on the back and a lot of threats. A quick transfer to a more professional environment fixed that. I would also say sadly that I tend to get along with and understand inmates better than regular people. Maybe it's the higher than average mental health rates. I don't know.

New Threads

Top Bottom