• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it worth getting ESA paperwork?

Table

As a junior in highschool, I recognize that in a little over a year I will be an adult and heading off to college.

One of the things that I’m dreading is not having my pets. I had fish tanks since I can remember and a hermit crab for awhile. Since 3rd grade I’ve had cats and guinea pigs.
When my guinea pig sonic passed away in my freshman year I really grieved and months later I was still having bouts of crying over his death. We since rescued 2 more that I take active care of.

My cats and my guinea pigs have helped me through many tough times. They allow me to relax and feel grounded and comfortable when things seem to be spiraling, and give me something to focus on when things seem lost. I will often seek out my cats during a family party to help me relax and give me time to wind down from the overload of the party.

I will most likely be going away from home for college, meaning I’ll be away from my pets. I’ve heard the concept of ESA’s which allow you to basically have a pet (that is well behaved and not disturbing) in places you normally wouldn’t, such as a no pet building. I’m aware they are not the same as service animals, and I do not believe need a specially trained animal like that. But being able to keep a small animal like a guinea pig or a hedgehog that will keep me grounded seems like a possible idea.

What do you peeps think? Does anyone have an ESA?

If I do get one I really plan to play by the book. I’m aware it really only applies to housing and planes, and no other private places like restaurants, zoos and parks apply.

You know, years ago, you didn't need paperwork. I was a single mom and often would be allowed to keep a dog for that reason alone. I understand the service animals, but I really don't understand the emotional support animals - because aren't all pets pretty much emotional support animals?

Oh, also, couldn't you have a guinea pig, like a bird - no pet apartments usually have nothing against these small, mostly caged animals. You could have a sugar glider and no one would ever know - they sleep in a sock all day and up at night.

Oh, also, couldn't you have a guinea pig, like a bird - no pet apartments usually have nothing against these small, mostly caged animals. You could have a sugar glider and no one would ever know - they sleep in a sock all day and up at night.

while this might be true for no pet apartments and regular housing, college housing would depend on that specific colleges rules. And while some colleges are being more lenient, many are still strict about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom