• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is hoarding aa part of asd??

I like to put things that are alike in the same area, too.
In fact sometimes people ask me to go to their house to
help them play Sesame Street with their stuff.

Wow, this is an eye opener. I am a collector also.
I have memories attached to everything I own, which makes it difficult to discard things.
I only keep things that are useful, have a selling value, or are sentimental. It's surely adds up.

Furthermore, during peer pressure purges, I have thrown away things that I later needed. This causes increased reluctance to purge at all.

I have lived in poverty before, been briefly homeless, and so cherish what I do own. I have little to no recollection of my youth/ childhood at all.
So I don't trash stuff when I find karate nunchucks & a little league hat from the 80s, concert stubs from psychedelic parties of the 90s, terrible heart sick poetry and military uniforms of the 2000s.

My studio/ garage is 85% clutter And every time I start to "clean" it I get lost in memories attached to these "things."

Hedgehog Instigator, Please don't think that I am in any way implying that you hoard or have OCD. It's an association with extreme 'hoarding' and its very general and not specifically meant for you as a definition, only information as a guideline by psychologists.

That does not mean that many people hoard, not to the extremes seen on the 'hoarders' reality television show. Not only is erroneous to think that people who collect things are hoarders, it pathologizes people cruelly making them seem somehow wrong. Many of the examples on the program seem lonely or abandoned and have other difficulties that are not related to OCD or any other illnesses. The show has brought to light an issue, but it seems to have pointed fingers at troubled people. Who simply need help and understanding.
I didn't take offense, I quite literally mean I don't fit the DSM requirements. My current therapist agrees with me on this. Sorry sometimes I state things too matter of fact, sorry.

my accumulated things are my friends:D [even if they get in the way sometimes, or worse when I have trouble finding them amidst the sea of other things]:confused:

Collecting, and finding value in objects is also a strong trait of the INTUITIVE (N) function. Another thread exploring the MBTI identified strong intuitive traits in our population. This is another reason why it is hard to get rid of anything...there is always a possibility it will be useful in the future.

My studio/ garage is 85% clutter And every time I start to "clean" it I get lost in memories attached to these "things.

Very true.
I won't go to the point of saying I hoard things but I am definitely a 'packrat' and hate to throw things away. I love buying things that organize to the point where I need an organizer to organize my organizers. I don't know if I phrased that right, basically I mean that I have so many things with drawers, shelves, etc to organize things that when I buy something else meant to organize things, I have no place for it.

Collecting, and finding value in objects is also a strong trait of the INTUITIVE (N) function. Another thread exploring the MBTI identified strong intuitive traits in our population. This is another reason why it is hard to get rid of anything...there is always a possibility it will be useful in the future.
I am totally ENTJ that's interesting

DAMNED STRAIGHT:smiley:

I cannot find any data on this so you mind sharing your sources?

A tad, I find the need to keep old deodorant bottles. It's very specific to that. I don't think it's an ASD thing.

I dont think I hoard things. I do like collecting things though. My favourite part is placing things everywhere. I have little collectors shrines all over my room and I like putting everything with the same feeling in those shrines.

i am a terrible hoarder and i have lifelong OCD.
if i didnt live with in house 24hr support i would have an apartment absolutely full of crap.
the most i have at the moment is stored under a table in the lounge,on a book shelf and in wardrobes,but staff chuck the rubbish i hoard.

if i come across anything like a newspaper page with a picture of a cat on,i have to hoard it otherwise i feel something bad will happen to the cat,like id be hurting it if i didnt keep it safely.

For me its books and weapons. I will collect and read books of all kinds, all genres. With my weapons, its not just the actual weapons but extra parts, cleaning gear, sharpeners, etc. Being a Martial Artist my weapons collection extends throughout history, with all sorts of things on my wall. I also collect little toy metal airplanes, lego's, and used to have a playing card collection but that got cleaned out. At this point, space and finances dictate what and how much I collect, but if left to my own devices I can easily collect all kinds of crap I don't need. However, it is all neatly organized and uncluttered, since I can't stand messiness...

New Threads

Top Bottom