• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Involuntary tics in Asperger's?

Autistic_202

This is different from my stimming behaviours which are under my control. These tics are not. I repeat phrases out loud and click my fingers and whistle.

Is it common to have involuntary tics that are NOT stimming in Asperger's disorder?. They are mostly stress related and haven't grown up with tics it's a recent thing I'm female 22 years old.

My evidence is anecdotal, but I know several people on the site who experience this and I do myself in situations that feel extremely out of control or stressful. I still call such thing stims, I guess, but I call them harmful stims. Headbanging is one of them.

I have a tic with my leg that sometimes it just kinda happens without me noticing

Could be related

I used to discover myself picking my fingernails to the point of self-harm and bleeding. I say discover because I would start doing it without any conscious thought. I would be driving and suddenly notice that I was picking my nails. I would be at a family get together and suddenly notice that I was picking my nails. The line between voluntary and involuntary gets blurry for me though because I was eventually able to stop picking my nails. I got sick of the pain.

I used to have a facial tic a few years ago, it was due to anxiety. It went away with medication.

When I was around 12 or 13 I started having facial tics where I'd constantly blink, twitch my nose. or raise my eyebrows. Of course the other kids loved to mock me and I had no idea what was wrong, I wasn't diagnosed. Then later I was put on medications that caused me to have facial tics and feel like sand had been poured into my eyes. It stopped now that I'm not on that medication anymore, it was even discontinued years ago.

This is different from my stimming behaviours which are under my control. These tics are not. I repeat phrases out loud and click my fingers and whistle.

Is it common to have involuntary tics that are NOT stimming in Asperger's disorder?. They are mostly stress related and haven't grown up with tics it's a recent thing I'm female 22 years old.
Its stress your body will work through it until you face the cause

New Threads

Top Bottom