• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction

silverrachael

hi! I'm new to this forum. I joined because I may have had a lightbulb moment in regards to my son and I just need to talk with people that may have experienced the same.

My youngest second son, Ben is turning 20 this week. He is s undiagnosed but as I have worked in SEN schools for the last year, it's amazing how I am recognising similar behaviours between my charges and my son's but I'm not 100%.

When Ben was younger, I asked our doctor to refer him as he was walking on his toes. We were given ankle splints and told he possibly grow out of it which he did.

Ben didn't experience trouble at school. He was very sneaky about hiding his mischief. He ran a contraband business of selling bad foods and fizzy drinks when they were banned at school. This was fuelled by his love of money. He got into trouble once that I knew of but was clever enough to move underground to conceal it.

Ben enjoyed business studies, was very good at maths and DT and had a highly tuned eye for detail. He loved drawing and I was amazed when he produced a map of a town. The detail was tiny and so fine and I was very proud at what he produced and I made sure I told him.

As I mentioned, Ben didn't experience trouble at school, although I think he struggled slightly with friends. He preferred to keep to one friend if any at all and was often quite "aloof" in public.

I'm quite a sensitive person and have a history of suffering from depression and used to struggle with Ben's behaviour at home. I used to feel that Ben used to get an unusual kick out of winding me up and he definitely knew how to press my buttons. We often came to clash and my ex husband always used to say that it was because we were very similar. One thing that was different was, as I grew up, I held a respect for my Mother but this seemed to be lacking in Ben. At one time, my ex started to join in with Ben's behaviour at home, that is to say " Let's have fun and wind Mummy up" I'm not sure how old Ben was when this started to happen but he might have been about 13 or 14 years old. By the time Ben was 18, it was so effecting my mental health, that I decided to move out.

It's never easy when your parents separate. Mine divorced when I was 12. Ben seemed to take it bad. He and his Dad moved into a flat but it wasn't long before he had to move as he struggled with Ben's behaviour. Ben would ring his Dad at work and ask that he stay away till late at night, just because he wanted to be alone with his girlfriend.

For a long time, Ben refused to see me as he blamed me for the separation but I'm glad to say that I was persistent and he is slowly lowering the barriers.

Has he displayed signs of mild High end Autism? On completing school, I encouraged him to be very proactive and he got himself on a paid apprenticeship on the Thames barrier and he has a very clear progression plan for his studies and career. He drives a car and is totally independent, all before his 20 birthday next week, and I am very proud of him and always make sure that I tell him so.

I just want him to be happy

Rachael

welcome.png

Dear Rachael. Welcome to AC. Please do consult your GP and get your son a referral to the appropriate psychologist and do not be deterred if there are links with Mental Health teams as these days everything is pretty much all rolled in to one. It may be that he is not on the spectrum at all but if he is, then you will be able to have many of your questions and concerns answered, Ben will receive the right care and support and you will both be much happier. I wish you well.

Hello!

We are of course not doctors, we can only relate to having certain patterns of behaviour with each other. Whilst everyone with autism are different from each other I can't say I can really relate to anything you've mentioned about your son. Others might, but I can't. At least with what you've mentioned. I am a bit different than what most people think of someone with Asperger's. People think of people who are being opposing, I'm really not. A lot of the time, particularly at school I just tried to blend in with the background and just get through the day. Hence why I didn't get diagnosed until I was 24.

Essentially, I'm not going to tell you whether or not I think your son is autistic because I feel it's inappropriate for me to decide whether or not someone is autistic based on my experiences. What I will say though is that although you have mentioned he did walk on tip toes, don't build yourself up to believe that your doctor will agree with your suspicion. And even then it won't necessarily mean they'll want to diagnose him with anything; he seems to have a good grasp on communicating with others and the demands of life. Doctors will usually only diagnose someone if they think they can benefit from some sort of treatment. In the autistic population in Britain only 16% of us are in full-time employment and many of us also suffer from mental health conditions like depression and anxiety related to either not being able to work or having problems communicating and having relationships.

Welcome :)

There are many other parents with concerns about their children, or have had diagnoses for their kids in the parenting and autism section. I hope you can find some useful information.

New Threads

Top Bottom