• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Internship at a kids store.

Daniela

Was not the best experience I had...
I dont know about you guys but, I need breaks, otherwhise my brain explodes.
I ... need time to process stuff to I cant just do do do do , like Im a machine.
I need time to just stop and think as well...
Is this na aspie thing? Do you guys have it too?
I started to cry in the midle of the store, and ... when I got out I was so not okay I was crying in the midle of the street as I was walking, and I felt like I was going to shutdown...
Gaah I´m still not okay.
Is this normal ?
Can you guys help ?
Thanks!

Sorry to hear you had a meltdown Daniela, if that's what it ended up being. It's not easy to work under those circumstances, and I've noticed that people are less likely to work rapidly as if they were robots these days.

It's best to take to your time I think and not rush, try to do what is best for yourself, don't let people rattle you. I've worked with children quite a bit over the years, and that adds a dimension to jobs that can be both frustrating and endearing when you pick up on all their energy. Hope now that you know some of the situations that cause you panic, you'll work a little with those ideas.

About how long would you say you can go without a break? I believe the standard expectation is that somebody can work for two or three hours before they should need a break. Other jobs just naturally have a lot of down time in between things happening.

Was this your first day on the job, or have you been able to get through a shift without breaking down?

Also; I hope they were paying you, because unpaid internships are an exploitative practice that really needs to stop.

I was being paid fortunatly.
It was my first day, so yeah that could have helped on my nerve wrecking stuff too.
They dont have breaks, they just give you one hour to lunch. I need breaks between ... one our two hours. If the work its something that I realy dont like.
When they go like, get me this, I need a lot of time to look and find the stuff , even at home im like that.
I gess is the executive function thing.

That's tough. Do they know you are on the spectrum? Perhaps they are legally required to give you breaks if you need them, depending on where you live.

When they go like, get me this, I need a lot of time to look and find the stuff , even at home im like that.
I gess is the executive function thing.
I can relate to that. Unfortunately work places have every right to expect a certain ammount of productivity for the money they pay. It is just frustrating when you can't perform at the expected level.

New Threads

Top Bottom