• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Inspirational actors/actresses for socialization

Jumpback

I grew up in the country without that much interest in people. I am adopted and my dad is a great guy, but he is nothing like me, he is a doer who worked three jobs and takes care of everything non stop, but he has very little interest in tv or movies or even humor because they don’t apply to the tasks at hand. Like this guy is like a machine at getting things accomplished, but I am exactly the opposite, so I always felt like an idiot and useless on top of all the general autistic things

But then I go to college and break my foot playing basketball. I can’t do anything else, so I watch my grandmothers old movies, I discovered Cary Grant. Like this was sort of a lightbulb moment for me in that his comedic timing is very much like mine...I can’t do the back and forth like he can, but I can do the over the top silly humor and I have learned that my comedic instincts are good in this direction. I didn’t even really know that I could be funny until this happened and then I started experimenting and realized that if I just let my guard down and said or did whatever ridiculous thing poppped in my head, other people usually found it to be funny. It’s a bit of a one trick pony and entertaining monkey approach, but it really has helped a lot

I’m kind of wondering if others can relate or if there are other inspiration famous figures that have helped people get better at socializing. Again, I am coming from things from not very severe generalized autistic traits but some more severe things in the directions of like executive functioning problems

Anyway, I think that old Cary Grant clips stand the test of time

Or maybe it isn't being like Cary Grant that was inspirational, it's that popular people in high school tended towards being sort of bullying and mean. Even if they were funny in general, they'd torment the teachers by throwing books out the window or harassing susceptible teachers

I just never got this establishing make dominance, or I guess females do it too, I never realized that there was another way. Like people in general tend to kind of like charming silliness, which worked for me in some way.

Yuh, Cary is great, handsome guy with humour, hard to find. Difficult topic to answer.

Being an oldie, my parents didn't have tv until I was about 8, which was possibly amazing luck as maybe I grew up unprogrammed by it, but it went on to be a big influence, and I have used stuff I've seen in media, socially. It's a poisoned chalice I suppose.

Last edited:
LOL. My favorite Cary Grant role was when he played Walter Eckland in "Father Goose".

However that character was anything but social. He was a hermit, perfectly content to live life alone until he was forcibly marooned on an island with a French school teacher and her brood of British and French pupils who referred to Mr. Eckland as "the filthy beast". :p

Inspirational? Yes- to those of us who prefer to live alone. :cool:

My favorite actor is Kevin Spacey. Almost all of his roles that he plays are awesome. Especially in Pay it Forward, American Beauty, and K-pax.

Yuh, Cary is great, handsome guy with humour, hard to find. Difficult topic to answer.

There’s something different with Grant though on top of these things. Like it comes across that guy means no harm, yet women sort of wanted him and men sort of wanted to be like him. Like guy was like a goofy nerd, but somehow not at all like a goofy nerd.

LOL. My favorite Cary Grant role was when he played Walter Eckland in "Father Goose".

However that character was anything but social. He was a hermit, perfectly content to live life alone until he was forcibly marooned on an island with a French school teacher and her brood of British and French pupils who referred to Mr. Eckland as "the filthy beast". :p

Inspirational? Yes- to those of us who prefer to live alone. :cool:

Yeah, but he was a charming and entertaining “filthy beast.” If one wants to be a drunken hermit, there is a wrong way to do it and a right way to do it, and his was the right way ;0)

Last edited:
Yeah, but he was a charming and entertaining “filthy beast.” If one wants to be a drunken hermit, there is a wrong way to do it and a right way to do it, and his was the right way ;0)

Helps to have a yacht and plenty of liquor provided by the Royal Australian Navy. ;)

With a job that wasn't all that tough, as long as you don't get caught. :eek:

Another good one was "Walk, Don't Run".

Cary Grant at the Olympics in 1964, helping Jim Hutton to win over Samantha Eggar. Another great comedy.

And "Operation Petticoat", when Cary was in uniform rather than as the Filthy Beast:

But the bomb was his case of mistaken identity that plagued Roger Thornhill...AKA George Kaplan.

My favorite actor is Kevin Spacey. Almost all of his roles that he plays are awesome. Especially in Pay it Forward, American Beauty, and K-pax.
I used to really like Kevin Spacey. Great actor. Lost all respect when I found he was a sexual predator. Allegedly anyway, I don't keep up with the TMZ supposed news anymore. Probably a narcissist. I don't like narcissists. Scary dangerous people. That's why jails matter. As well as the cops who put them in there. Lock em up and break the key. Thank you police officers for trying to keep us safe.

But the bomb was his case of mistaken identity that plagued Roger Thornhill...AKA George Kaplan.

You’ve really got me wanting to watch these old movies again. I need something light hearted to cheer me up so I really want to watch “Father Goose” and “Operation Petticoat” again. And “North by Northwest” is just a great movie. I’ve never seen “Walk, don’t run” and am not as interested in that one, but thanks for providing the link to the full movie! I might have to watch that one since I can’t afford to go buying movies online right now.

Edit: looks like the full “Operation Petticoat” is on YouTube. I guess I’ll watch that.

Last edited:
I used to really like Kevin Spacey. Great actor. Lost all respect when I found he was a sexual predator. Allegedly anyway, I don't keep up with the TMZ supposed news anymore. Probably a narcissist. I don't like narcissists. Scary dangerous people. That's why jails matter. As well as the cops who put them in there. Lock em up and break the key. Thank you police officers for trying to keep us safe.

I like him as an actor, I know very little about him as a person. Didn't mean for this to get political but in these times I guess it's inevitable.

Edit: looks like the full “Operation Petticoat” is on YouTube. I guess I’ll watch that.

It was kind of a tribute to Cary Grant's sense of humor. Particularly given that many years earlier he portrayed a sober and sentimental submarine commander in the wartime drama "Destination Tokyo". Also a good film, though you won't find any laughs in that one.

Last edited:
It was kind of a tribute to Cary Grant's sense of humor. Particularly given that many years earlier he portrayed a sober and sentimental submarine commander in the wartime drama "Destination Tokyo". Also a good film, though you won't find any laughs in that one.

I saw Alan Hale in that clip and was like, yep that’s the skipper from “Gillian’s Island”, but that was his father. Those two really looked alike.

Another one I remember liking is “Arsenic and old lace”. The clips don’t exactly do the movie justice, but I can kind of see some of the way over the top manic Jim Carrey type things in this 50 years before there was Jim Carrey

Grants mother lived in an insane asylum for decades (he’d been told and believed his mother was dead) and his father was an alcoholic. I kind of feel like guy got lucky catching just the right combination of genes between creativity and madness and bad personality traits like addiction issues and this kind of resulted in him being able to be able to have such a wide range of acting abilities.

Last edited:
I like him as an actor, I know very little about him as a person. Didn't mean for this to get political but in these times I guess it's inevitable.

Spacey is one of the worst the worst among famous Hollywood people, from multiple sexual assaults on underage boys, to multiple very aggressive sexual assaults on adult men, some violent.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11...cey-sexual-assault-allegations-house-of-cards

Former MTV Host Comes Forward With Kevin Spacey Sexual Assault Story

A past VJ for MTV's heavy-metal sector of the network has come forward with his own recount of getting sexually assaulted by Kevin Spacey, adding another allegation to the former House of Cards actor.

Dominick DeLuca, who is also co-owner of Los Angeles skateboard shop Brooklyn Projects, took to his private Instagram account to detail a time Kevin inappropriately approached him when he was searching for a hoodie in the back of his store.

“You came behind me and pulled my long hair and slammed your pelvis into my bent over body,” Dominick captioned a photo on Instagram. “You grabbed my ass, to which I said to you, ‘I ain’t down with that gay ****’ … you replied, ‘Everyone is gay for pay in LA at some point.’” His post details how his friend showed up at the store to break up the interaction and "basically saved the day."”

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom