• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

indie artist CD collection situation- what to do?

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
There's an indie artist who I've been keeping up with from time to time. I used to (I think) be (a bit?) obsessed. Now I'm not too bad and just don't have the time. It's been over 10 years now since I was a fan, and there's a lot of personal experiences both good and bad.

I just attended his first web show for $5, which was worth it. Quality was nice, sound was good. I didn't need to try to be a top 10 supporter to have exclusive content. Plus, I don't have that kind of money anyway.

I know it was years ago, but one time the artist thought I was going to try to get stuff signed only to pawn it off. I gave him a strange look. I didn't know or couldn't always appreciate those positive moments, nor did I always know what to say.

Some of the things I searched for or collected, I found online on my own. I even kinda obsessed over looking for certain CDs or place(s) I could consider going to find such things, or even looking for people I could contact who might respond. I had some luck, and have some rare items. That digging was fun for me, and personal, and a meaningful experience, even though obsessive. It was like detective work where I had no connections, and I wasn't very good socially with people at that time. Not that I totally shied away from people, but I just tend not to connect with many that well.

I feel that many people have cut off contact with me unnecessarily or do not communicate and really may be getting unnecessarily selfish. It would be nice for long time fans to talk more, and if they do, I definitely am left out. I don't think most people would even say "hi" more or less care if I fell off the face of the planet. Not that I'd expect most people to care anyway. However, I feel like with an indie artist with not such a popular base, and having been a true fan at heart with so many years experience now, it seems like I should have made some deeper connections of some sort.

It's like I could look at this as I should only be in it for the love of the music, and that personal relationships should be separate.

I understand physical boundaries and have always been respectful of them. I also understand that there are professional boundaries, kind of, that are in a gray zone. fan vs. celebrity and things like that.

I'm sure I've said and done some dumb things, and some people have done the same to me. Nothing so bad to say I'm a totally horrible person. But now here we are in the present.

I'm thinking of selling the stuff off if a get a high enough price for it, but I feel like I should attempt to contact the artist first to see what he/they think. I'm not sure. It's a way for me to let go and move on.

What do you think I should do? Feel free to ask me questions. Thank you.

I really don't think you need to worry about contacting the artist . . . it's your decision. I doubt very much he'll be offended. Don't beat yourself up for your changing tastes. It happens.

And I really think that this time you spent doesn't necessarily mean that you have to have made lifelong connections. It's a nice thing, but don't be angry at yourself for things not happening the way you'd hoped. So go ahead and sell your collection, if that's what you decide.

New Threads

Top Bottom