• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Independent Contractor

wanderer03

At the advice of some of the good folks on here, I think I am going to set some long term goals to move towards becoming an independent contractor. As many of you know, I drive a bus for a living and I have a Class A CDL.

I have seen a lot of super duty pickup trucks hauling everything from cars to flat bed stuff. I wonder if I could do that and what I would need in order to make this happen. Are there money grants for people with disabilities?

I love driving and I am starting to see more and more services like uber for cargo. I'm wondering if I could do something similar. Maybe I could get with some companies that move cars for customers?

At the advice of some of the good folks on here, I think I am going to set some long term goals to move towards becoming an independent contractor. As many of you know, I drive a bus for a living and I have a Class A CDL.

I have seen a lot of super duty pickup trucks hauling everything from cars to flat bed stuff. I wonder if I could do that and what I would need in order to make this happen. Are there money grants for people with disabilities?

I love driving and I am starting to see more and more services like uber for cargo. I'm wondering if I could do something similar. Maybe I could get with some companies that move cars for customers?
That's a great idea for a service like uber for cargo. if you were to create a service like uber for cargo it might be a good idea to have the ability to move people as well

That's a great idea for a service like uber for cargo. if you were to create a service like uber for cargo it might be a good idea to have the ability to move people as well
I'm not going to create the service. There are already ones in existence. I'm just going to list myself as a provider.

It's a whole lot easier that way. I don't want to have to sell, market, and network. :)

Cool. That was always the biggest drawback in doing freelance web design. Having to market myself. A disaster. :eek: I have to admit, having a temp agency do it for me as a contractor was great while it lasted.

But then in buying and selling equities, I don't have to market myself or network to anyone either. Although networking in what I do would likely be beneficial to some degree.

Have you thought of hotshot? When the oilfield was good all you needed was a dually or 3/4 ton pickup and flatbed. You hauled everything from drill bits to BOP stacks. There's not much going on in the patch right now but maybe construction? It's typically for when a company needs something ASAP. My husband was in the oilfield for 36 years and now he's got his CDL and driving OTR.

You beat me to the draw, as I was also going to suggest hotshot. I knew some fellows back when I was still driving that did that. Some hauled cars for used car lots, others hauled various types of freight. The trucks they have now have a lot more power than the ones back then; a Ford F450 has a towing capacity of 31,000 pounds, which is a lot for a pick-up. Frankly, I wouldn't mind doing something like that myself when I retire from the place I'm at now.
I was thinking of an F650. Big beast! No, I never really considered hotshot. I don't even know what it is.

I won't give up but it may take 3-4 years before I'll be able to do this. No matter, it's good to have goals. I'm going to begin the planning now.

New Threads

Top Bottom