• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

In your opinion, what is art and who can be considered an artist?

Laughs...no,I can't take credit for Nitroart...I never realized that the name was on it...that is actually my pinup gallery of girls in the garages
World War II is a tribute to the women who filled in for men on the homefront as the men went to war
quarter view is a picture of a Gilbert Erector Set airplane with an antique Gilbert branded model airplane engine I assembled out of a box of 1938 parts to display some obscure model airplane history and one of my first loved engineering toys mostly as a joke. It took me eight hours to assemble it and all parts were used without altering them as the sets were intended. They did make some really good toys at one time that expanded some minds. The engine is a new in box one from 1960 and considered inferior to other engines made at the time...they were not very popular so many were not saved to collect...one of my hobby businesses is the buying and selling of antique model engines and this came up for auction so I grabbed it as an addition to my personal collection.

When I find a suitable sized Wile E Coyote for the pilot and do the ACME stencils on her she will be complete :cool:
I had one of the slower persons in my world ask me if it was hard to follow the directions to make it :p

The pic of me at 14 was taken with my old trusty Asahi Pentax 35 mm I carried everywhere I went...I developed my own film and printed that photo.The Corvair was my first car :D The scratch on the 'ole 'vair was my first custom work :p

The pic of me at 14 was taken with my old trusty Asahi Pentax 35 mm I carried everywhere I went...I developed my own film and printed that photo.The Corvair was my first car :D The scratch on the 'ole 'vair was my first custom work :p

Now that you mention it, I think a collection of crashed cars would make a great art exhibition. I'd put a smiley face, but I won't because I'm serious; I actually do believe it would make a hell of a great art exhibition.

The video reminded me of the time when I was in the middle school and 1st few years in hight school. We had to attend a class called Russian and International Literature (I'm from Russia originally). I attempted to question opinions of critics about some books and was constantly ridiculed and was told that I was wrong. One day a new teacher came and told us, that we could feel, think and say whatever we wanted. I was shocked. I couldn't believe I could finally express My opinion! :) she was the 1st person who said that I had an unusual mind and that my writing was pretty good. My previous teachers and my parents told me that I couldn't write and didn't understand the meaning of what I read... yeah... good old days.

It's pretty good idea about the crashed cars... if I ever organized an exhibit like that, I would probably represent lives of the owners through symbolic objects and flowers... maybe it's a little creepy, but it could be quite powerful :)

I find myself regularly second-guessing myself when it comes to how others perceive me. I think it comes from being on the spectrum - I don't trust people to tell me things straight, and I have difficulty with certain visual cues that they expect me to pick up on. People try to spare my feelings, but in doing so they sometimes spare me the truth about something critical, as I lack the ability to pick up the non-verbal hints they think they are broadcasting. Sometimes the negative remarks are a godsend, but that blunt honesty is so rare that we often read way too much into it. Most people are as reserved with praise as with criticism. In fact, I find that the people who are the most open/blunt with their thoughts/opinions are the ones who tend to be overly negative.

Ergo, you can't go just on things people say or don't say to you. You have to put your work out there and watch from the background like a fly on the wall as people comment on it to others. Only then will you get an honest review.

I don't really know how to stay motivated. On the rare occasions I make something artistic, negative remarks are crushing to me too. I guess the only thing I can tell you is that, like with people in the dating threads, rejection is always a risk when you step out into the world. If you're happy with who you are and your work, then you will have a certain stability that will let you weather the storm of rejection when it comes. If you keep at it, then you are bound to find someone who appreciates your work.

Bottom line, so long as you avoid plagiarism/taking credit for the work of others, at worst you risk being a "bad" artist, but never a fraud. Conversely, you also stand a chance of being received as a "great" artist. Only one way to know - put it out there.

Ultimately, if you aren't able to be a successful artist, then maybe your talents lie elsewhere? I believe we all have something to offer that we do well. Find it, and do that.

I actually wanted to register on some forum where people could express their honest opinions about my works. But I wasn't sure what's the best place... I actually wanted to ask KingOni if people on... what's the name... deviantart actually give any constructive criticism.

I remember several years ago there was a website called GarageBand. The system was - you had to listen to other people music and provide feedback, then other people listened to your music and did the same. I think after you listen to 5 musicians you were listened to 1 time... I thought it was a great system, I got some interesting comments. I was usually pretty honest and other people seemed to be honest too. I wonder if there's another website like that. ... the same thing for writers.

I think I'm ready for all kinds of comments, I just want to know what people think rather than whether they like it or not. I do understand there may be some trolls here and there but I hope there's some place where trolling is monitored better than on YouTube :)

I'm not sure about motivation. I create because it's bursting out of me. And after I'm done I really want to show everything to the world. Sometimes I show raw material and that's, I believe a mistake. I need to be more patient. The only problem I have is with writing... and nowadays with music as well. But that's fine, I'll overcome... :)
maybe you should just try to forget everybody and let creativity take over, you'll worry about criticism later :)

Last edited:
Hmm, I think you're right at least about only releasing finished work. Otherwise, you wont know whether they are criticizing your work or the lack of "polish." Also, when it comes to art, my thoughts extend only to whether I like it andwhy. I never know what else I am supposed to say at unveilings, etc.

From my point of view and in my tiny world, art is whatever I consider as such. If the others don't I don't care at all. Each individual has different experiences different insights so it's plausible to state we have different perceptions of art. none is correct none is wrong.

From my point of view and in my tiny world, art is whatever I consider as such. If the others don't I don't care at all. Each individual has different experiences different insights so it's plausible to state we have different perceptions of art. none is correct none is wrong.

^Yeah - this is my opinion too. There is what I like, and what I don't. And if you don't like what I like, then you're just wrong. Least, that's how I see it.

There are a lot of things I consider art. Sculpting, ceramics, architecture (some of it, depends on intent past basic functionality, I guess), music, food, plenty of other things, and of course visual art of any kind like what I work in. Even those crude little kid drawings, they often have more imagination in them than what the adults make!
Except for Jackson Pollock. He was a lazy slob, or perhaps a brilliant scam artist for selling that stuff. Art is not haphazardly slinging pain at the ground and I don't care how much other artists hate me for saying that.

I actually wanted to register on some forum where people could express their honest opinions about my works. But I wasn't sure what's the best place... I actually wanted to ask KingOni if people on... what's the name... deviantart actually give any constructive criticism.
deviantART does have a critiquing system in place if you're a premium member and other people can rate you based on four or five things (skill, vision, etc.) and give a detailed feedback on what they think you need help with and how awesome they think the rest is. I've seen some pretty good feedback on some works. And of course you can always ask for it in the description under the picture and people will give you an opinion. Haven't tried it myself, but a lot of people like it.

I've often asked myself the same thing, especially when it comes to the last part about the age of the internet blurring the lines and how everyone calls themselves an artist these days... I used to get really hung up on this and really depressed and angry over it.
I'm an artist. Professional, not professional..? I don't even know anymore. I've been in multiple shows, I've had work published (online, print, on a book cover), I've sold work and done custom work and have taken gigs... But I often still don't feel like a professional.
But do I feel like an artist? Yes. Would I feel like an artist without all of those things I mentioned above? Yes. Would I feel like an artist if every single person I ever met told me I wasn't? Well, I would probably be pretty depressed, but still, yes.

Regardless of popularity, training (I am self taught by the way and am not all that schooled in theory), or career prospects, I know I am a true artist. I would be in a crowded room and I would be if I were the last person on earth sitting alone in a desert.
I just feel the stories in my mind, they're even more real than me. The emotions, the images, the world that is my art. It's mostly in my head, in fact I feel like my depictions of them is crude and pathetic compared to what you would see if you could just see what I'm seeing.
I think that's why I know I have an artistic vision, because I can see its strength...

I think there's a big difference between feeling like you're an artist, being a professional "artist" and being an artist. I think you can have all three of those, or only two, or just one. But I think there's a big difference between each.

Somebody posted it today, it does make sense... I guess...

I wanted this to displayed as image, it didn't for some reason. ..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419538452402.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419538452402.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Artists are my favorite people. Maybe because I have no artistic skills-zilch! I once read how many brush strokes Van Gogh used on painting and seemed incredible. Or number of words in Gettysburg address. A master, it seems, is someone who can express purely.

[QUOTE="epath13, It seems now, with the growth of social media, anyone can call themselves an artist, so in the end the word itself almost looses it's meaning, because everybody is an artist now and there's nothing special about the word anymore. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

My view is art should be judged by the triangle. In triangle you have first, (skill and realism), second there is, (style and beauty), third is, (message or emotion), in a truly good piece of art if you have less in any one of these three areas you must increase one or both of the other two areas to balance the works greatness. Less skill or realism more, (style or beauty), or more, (message or emotion), etcetera... etcetera... All truly great artworks will pass my triangle test and you can feel the greatness in them when you look at them. Best wishes Mael Follow your heart when you make art. Sorry am a little bit of a fire ball sometimes with the opinions.:)

Last edited:
I have very strong opinions on this subject, I hope i don't offend too much. My view is art should be judged by the triangle. In triangle you have first, (skill and realism), second there is, (style and beauty), third is, (message or emotion), in a truly good piece of art if you have less in any one of these three areas you must increase one or both of the other two areas to balance the works greatness. Less skill or realism more, (style or beauty), or more, (message or emotion), etcetera... etcetera... My church does not allow me to use the bad words needed to describe my feelings on how much damage Andy Worhall and his gallery friends did to the art world, with their cold blooded marketing ploys. All truly great artworks will pass my triangle test and you can feel the greatness in them when you look at them. Best wishes Mael Follow your heart when you make art.
He had quite the colorful portfolio, no? :p

Just about the only psychedelic artist I like is Lisa Frank and all the school supplies. If you gotta live in a box of crayons, use all the crayons to decorate the box!

He had quite the colorful portfolio, no? :p

Just about the only psychedelic artist I like is Lisa Frank and all the school supplies. If you gotta live in a box of crayons, use all the crayons to decorate the box!

I'm not for realism only I liked Dhali's dream scapes, and science fiction art and fantisy art for Tolken kind of stuff, dragons unicorns and such.:)

Last edited:
I'm not for realism only I liked Dhali's dream scapes but I don't need to see merit in some ugly trash just because a gallery owner stuck a huge price tag on it. Anyways I hate galleries they never sell my stuff I think they are over priced bait and switch frame shops, sorry bad experiences there.
can you share some of your artwork? I'm sorry if you've done it already. I don't recall seeing it...

Last edited:
can you share some of your artwork? I'm sorry of you've done it already. I don't recall seeing it...

I will have to look around see whats left, and try to figure out up loading. Everything kind of got rototillerd and scattered with all the moves. I did the bulk of my work in Alaska while working on a BA in art. But have been focusing more on writing science fiction the last few years. Started in acrillics, did some nice sea scapes in water color sold my best one of a sunset on dillingham mud flats at low tide, was a very nice sunset lots of oranges blues and pinks reflecting off the water. I also liked to do Nuvo? style fantisy stuff with water proof black ink and water color, or color pencil, had most of those pieces begged off of me. Started doing oil painting but some one stole my stuff. Then a bunch of moves and chaos, life tends to get in the way.

I'm not for realism only I liked Dhali's dream scapes but I don't need to see merit in some ugly trash just because a gallery owner stuck a huge price tag on it. Anyways I hate galleries they never sell my stuff I think they are over priced bait and switch frame shops, sorry bad experiences there.
I'm the opposite there, I ADORE some good pencil work with solid realism.

I can understand a dislike of galleries. I've never dealt with them since non-painters generally aren't welcome, but I have some unflattering suspicions of them all the same. And I really don't understand the abstract thing either. I can kinda get impressionalism, and the neat and clean abstract stuff with clear lines, but sloppy abstract I cannot. Or how a cat shredding a piece of carpet is considered high art and sells for a lot. :confused: Me papa has a label for that "more money than sense".

I'm the opposite there, I ADORE some good pencil work with solid realism.

Oh I love realism too AshSkyler and have done some nice work in that. I think part of the reason this, (nature of art thing), hits a nerve with me, is the original motivations for craftsmanship and artistic meaning, seem to have been lost, in a blizzard of clever marketing and pushing of fads. Almost all truly great art is some how capturing a memory in time, weather it's a portrait of a loved one, or your beloved dog or horse, a historical event or place, or perhaps recreating a cherished memory or place so it will not be lost. The illustration of books is to some degree similar too. Perhaps, (Empath13), is looking for her Norman Rockwell moment to paint?

New Threads

Top Bottom