• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you know anything about plants, please help!

uploadfromtaptalk1436910147561.jpg

The Virginia Creeper is correct. It is a beautiful plant and, some people like it to climb and adorn a fence line but, it is very invasive and will choke out other plants so, if you keep it, you have to control it diligently. Poison Ivy, another pretty one but most people will get a rash from any contact with it so, probably not desirable.

This looks like the false mint we have here. It looks like mint but has almost no odor (if it smells like mint, then it is mint.) It's a weed and will spread it's seeds in the early fall. If it's real mint, you may want to keep it and cultivate it as that would be useful to have.

Looks like it might be an Elderberry or Water Hemlock. Does it have clusters of small purple berries in the fall? When it blooms does it have clusters that look like nice even umbrellas or, are the bloom clusters more random and not forming a perfect circle. If it's random, that's elderberry and, it is edible but very sour and astringent so best for jams and wines.

That is either a maple or sweet gum tree, either is desirable but sweet gum trees have spiked seed balls that can be a hassle in the fall when they drop.

The rest I don't know but, hopefully someone else knows or at least has them in their yard and can tell you what they do or what they are.

I've been told this is poison ivy.

View attachment 19292
Poison oak? It's definitely not something you'd want to use as toilet paper in the woods, I know that much. Those special little three rippled leaves aren't nice.
poison_2.jpg

Grannies call them "snowballs", but I think it's a hydrangea.

I concur with Beverly. Either a sweet gum or a maple. I'm leaning toward maple, because sweet gums have more more star-like qualities:
sweetgumleaves.jpg

I don't know them all, but I know a few.

I've been told it's Virginia Creeper
View attachment 19291
I agree, or it's Woodbine.

I've been told this is poison ivy.
View attachment 19292
I agree

Looks like shoots growing out of a cut back American Elm Tree.

Silver Maple Tree

Resembles a Boxwood hedge bush

Mulberry Tree

Box Elder Tree

Wild Grape Vine

Hackberry Tree

American Elm Tree

Hydrangea as already mentioned. I actually just bought one of those that needs to be planted.

Looks like it might be an Elderberry or Water Hemlock. Does it have clusters of small purple berries in the fall? When it blooms does it have clusters that look like nice even umbrellas or, are the bloom clusters more random and not forming a perfect circle. If it's random, that's elderberry and, it is edible but very sour and astringent so best for jams and wines.

I looked at some pictures of those plants, the one we have is most likely the American Elm, like Destination Unknown said.

That is either a maple or sweet gum tree, either is desirable but sweet gum trees have spiked seed balls that can be a hassle in the fall when they drop.

I wish it was some gum tree, I searched and searched and came to a conclusion that it's invasive Norway Maple... now I'm not sure what to do with it... we have lots of those trees...

Grannies call them "snowballs", but I think it's a hydrangea.

It's pretty messy, but I like it. I need to see if I can prune it...

The silver maple is most likely correct... unfortunately as well... it's in the front of the house and according to many websites it can penetrate water lines and other underground utilities... it looks pretty, and it's one of the healthiest trees in the yard, but I might need to cut it completely... not sure yet...

Destination Unknown - this plant is new (Milkweed), I don't remember it being in the yard last year, at 1st I thought it wasn't a weed, then I wasn't sure any more. So should I keep it?

Last edited:
Destination Unknown - this plant is new (Milkweed), I don't remember it being in the yard last year, at 1st I thought it wasn't a weed, then I wasn't sure any more. So should I keep it?

Here's a link to a short video that discusses milkweed and why they are needed for monarch butterflies.

Monarch Butterfly's Reign Threatened by Milkweed Decline

I planted some milkweed in my little garden patch last year. It grew this year. I doubt that any monarch butterfly will ever see it, or use it, but you never know.

Here's a link to a short video that discusses milkweed and why they are needed for monarch butterflies.

Monarch Butterfly's Reign Threatened by Milkweed Decline

I planted some milkweed in my little garden patch last year. It grew this year. I doubt that any monarch butterfly will ever see it, or use it, but you never know.

So I just came home for lunch, and there was actually a monarch on my milkweed plant. It's the only one I've seen around here all year. They must know what they're looking for because this plant just has leaves on it, no flowers.

So I just came home for lunch, and there was actually a monarch on my milkweed plant. It's the only one I've seen around here all year. They must know what they're looking for because this plant just has leaves on it, no flowers.

Found this guy on my milkweed tonight. I achieved the goal of attracting Monarchs!
IMG_0030.JPG

New Threads

Top Bottom