• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I want to study psychology but I feel to dumb?

Grayman

i have intrest in this subject but I don't know if I would be smart enough and if some one with mental health issues would be able too, Should I ? I'm unsure

Yes. You are interested in the subject. So, study it. Besides. It's an running joke that most psychs (iatrists or ologists) studied it because they have mental health issues themselves.

Don't worry if you think your dumb it may mean you are smart enough not to take info without testing it...

Grayman

What kind of 'not smart enough' do you mean?
Reading?
Math?
Are you talking about taking classes?
Have you been reading some, on your own?

I used to be the last one out of the stat class when we
had a test. I did every problem until I got the same answer
three times in a row. This is not necessarily the same as
doing a problem three times.

I've been reading for a while now but not for long because I get quite aggitated , That's mostly my problem theirs a lot of reading to be done and my handwriting is also awful ! I've been looking at night classes but I've just been unsure about signing up.

Grayman
When you say you read, but you get 'agitated'---what do you mean?
Are you saying that reading is difficult? Because there are unfamiliar words?
Or that you feel emotional about the subject matter?
Or that, in general, you find sitting and reading to be hard, because you
feel like moving around?
Or what?
----
When I started taking classes, I took ONE to begin with.
One thing at a time was enough.
----
The best thing that happened to my handwriting at school was the day I found
a Bic stick pen in the parking lot. Hex, not smooth/circular. Blue ink. Medium.
I could print clearly with it and liked using it. Any notes I took in class, I typed
and then highlighted. It was like making a little outline/book of the material.
:evergreen:

It's not I can't read I'm just easily distracted , some words I do a dictionary definition check on but don't tend to struggle to much.What class did you take to begin with ?

I think it may have been an English class.
I had read all the psychology books in our local library.
It was a small town & a small library.

I had various 'single' classes, some of which I could walk
to because the jr.college had an extension (meaning they
had night classes in the outlying smaller towns, in the
high schools or elementary classrooms.)

Eventually I started going to school full time.
One of the classes I took during the "one at a time" class
taking was psych. I majored in psychology.
---------
Rewarding myself for attending to my homework/actually
reading the text/studying was a good idea. I colored in a
square on a sheet of graph paper for every half hour I
put in. Made sure I got up at the end of an hour and did
some minor physical thing [go to the bathroom, put dishes
in the sink.....whatever.] Then back to work.

Oh cool , I've been reading some things online like self teaching books and stuff I'm still not sold on the idea of getting into classes and stuff but even learning can't be all that bad ! I'll probably look at a class soon enough and if it's not for me I'll change it up till I find something suitable , I love being intrested in subjects and learning it's what I crave ! I hope you still enjoy you're work :)

I'd give it a try. I have mental health issues and study it at college. Plus, there are other jobs in psychology such as working in research.

Grayman ,

I don't know if I would be smart enough and if some one with mental health issues would be able too

If you want my sincere opinion, one is far from being dumb if one asks questions about his/her own behavior. What psychologist would not question his/her own behavior in the first place?

I have been on this forum for about three months or so, and I can tell there is nothing wrong with
people who have Autism & Asperger's - perfectly respectable and civilized people.

You are not dumb, you are yourself, so you are intelligent.
I, along with others, believe and are convinced that you have what it takes.

Of course, this only represents my opinion on the subject.

i have intrest in this subject but I don't know if I would be smart enough and if some one with mental health issues would be able too, Should I ? I'm unsure

There need to be more people in the mental health field with actual mental health issues, because who better to actually help people with those same issues? So don't hold yourself back because of self doubt. Remind yourself every single day that you have real experience, which is something that is in short supply in the psychiatric field.

New Threads

Top Bottom