• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think I'm on the spectrum

Eruva

Hello. So this is my introduction post. I'm a 37 year old female diagnosed with severe social anxiety disorder and major depression and suspect that I may have autism/aspergers.

Though I've had social anxiety my whole life, I wasn't diagnosed until I was 22. Since then, doctors and therapists have told me that when I feel like people are thinking badly of me or responding negatively to me, that it's all in my head. That I should realize that and try to think of a more probable interpretation of events. My perspective about all this was screwed up earlier this year when I was fired from a job for being "rude", which I didn't even know I had been. I feel like perhaps I've been duped all these years, and that my perceptions of people's reactions to me have actually been somewhat accurate. That I am indeed ridiculously awkward, that I do make people uncomfortable, and that because of my lack of social skills, people really do tend to dislike me and think I'm arrogant. So what's wrong with me?

I admit that autism isn't the first thing I've read about and thought, "I think I have that." I've wondered if my irritability might be a symptom of schizotypal personality disorder among other things. The difference though is that usually when I get on Google looking for what's wrong with me, I'm looking for an explanation of a specific problem and I find something that might explain it. Since I've been reading about autism, I've been finding explanations for things I wasn't even looking for. Apparently, I've been stimming all my life (I do this thing with my fingers where I make a popping sound with fabrics), but I never had a word for it. I've always been a "picky eater". Seriously, I can count on my hand the foods I found acceptable as a kid. I read through forum threads and am amazed at how much I identify with people on the spectrum. For so long, I've had a sense that my issues could never be cured with therapy, but are more ingrained than that.

I think a diagnosis might help me understand myself better and perhaps allow me to explore treatment options that would be better for me. It could allow me to stop feeling like my social difficulties are something I should be able to fix. It could provide an explanation for many of my eccentricities. However, I can't help worrying that my parents would be disappointed to discover their daughter had a developmental disorder all this time (why should a 37-year-old still care what her parents think? ugh!).

Anyway, this is me. Hi.

upload_2017-8-1_19-7-29.png

Welcome to our planet Eruva! I'm all for getting a formal diagnoses, as I did at 34, and it helped me understand SO much. This forum will help you tremendously as well. Don't let others make you think that there's something wrong with you. Humans aren't a "one size fits all" species, and us square pegs should not be forced to fit in the round hole. I wish you the best of luck in your search for answers ;)

Welcome, Ive found that when I have been branded "rude or inappropriate," Is immediately after a time when I was feeling most close to or in tune with those that have found me to be rude. Normally I am pretty good at filtering myself, but the moment I become comfortable Look out here comes my big mouth. This sense of closeness makes the rejection all the worse.

Sounds like you've come to the right place to compare your traits and behaviors to others. You may just find out that you have a whole lot in common with many of us, despite living a lifetime where you may have felt as if you were on the outside of an entire world, always looking in and feeling every bit like an outsider.

Welcome to AC. ;)

Welcome! Oddly enough, I'm having the same problem at the moment with thinking about what my parents might think if I get a diagnosis—Except I'm a teen. Why couldn't I be rebellious! :p

Hi Eruva,

Welcome to the forums. I can highly recommend getting a formal diagnosis, it changed my life.

In the meantime why not try the RAADS-R test on the Internet. You can google for the link.

:D

Hello. So this is my introduction post. I'm a 37 year old female diagnosed with severe social anxiety disorder and major depression and suspect that I may have autism/aspergers.

Though I've had social anxiety my whole life, I wasn't diagnosed until I was 22. Since then, doctors and therapists have told me that when I feel like people are thinking badly of me or responding negatively to me, that it's all in my head. That I should realize that and try to think of a more probable interpretation of events. My perspective about all this was screwed up earlier this year when I was fired from a job for being "rude", which I didn't even know I had been. I feel like perhaps I've been duped all these years, and that my perceptions of people's reactions to me have actually been somewhat accurate. That I am indeed ridiculously awkward, that I do make people uncomfortable, and that because of my lack of social skills, people really do tend to dislike me and think I'm arrogant. So what's wrong with me?

I admit that autism isn't the first thing I've read about and thought, "I think I have that." I've wondered if my irritability might be a symptom of schizotypal personality disorder among other things. The difference though is that usually when I get on Google looking for what's wrong with me, I'm looking for an explanation of a specific problem and I find something that might explain it. Since I've been reading about autism, I've been finding explanations for things I wasn't even looking for. Apparently, I've been stimming all my life (I do this thing with my fingers where I make a popping sound with fabrics), but I never had a word for it. I've always been a "picky eater". Seriously, I can count on my hand the foods I found acceptable as a kid. I read through forum threads and am amazed at how much I identify with people on the spectrum. For so long, I've had a sense that my issues could never be cured with therapy, but are more ingrained than that.

I think a diagnosis might help me understand myself better and perhaps allow me to explore treatment options that would be better for me. It could allow me to stop feeling like my social difficulties are something I should be able to fix. It could provide an explanation for many of my eccentricities. However, I can't help worrying that my parents would be disappointed to discover their daughter had a developmental disorder all this time (why should a 37-year-old still care what her parents think? ugh!).

Anyway, this is me. Hi.

Hi Eruva. Welcome to AC.

I am not sure it is a good idea for me to be officially diagnosed with Aspergers, let alone whether you should get diagnosed. You can look at some of the excellent advice offered to you in this thread and elsewhere. Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself what to do about a diagnosis.

A diagnosis of being on the Autism Spectrum can be a career blocker in some jobs. Career should be one of your considerations. Consideration as to how a diagnosis will affect your important existing relationships, is a good idea. Some Aspies or Auties have been shut out by people who are important to them. Others have had their important relationships greatly improved by the news of a diagnosis.

I hope it will be the latter for your relationships, if or when you get a diagnosis.

Hi and welcome. I thought i was on the spectrum around March this year and researched like a demon until deciding i wanted to talk to a psychologist who had first hand experience and get their opinion.
Since receiving confirmation from them i have continued to do my own reading on the subject but from a new perspective.
From feeling so alientated my whole 36 years, i now feel complete and part of society, albeit a small part. It's nice to know there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with you. I have a much more positive outlook on life.
I have not told my parents and don't think i intend to. I too feel anxious about their reaction. It alternates between not wanting them to blame themselves for the way i am, to not wanting them to look at me like I'm mentally ill.
I wish you the best of luck.

welcome and good luck.
One big help for me when i was officially diagnosed was to change my point of view that my point of view was correct and everyone else was wrong. I can be very stubborn, but now at least i am aware that i see thing differently than most, and i keep that in mind.

Have you ever heard the interview on NPR with the guy that wrote the book, the journal of best practices? That was what opened my eyes to the fact that i have aspergers. Great book too!

welcome and good luck.
One big help for me when i was officially diagnosed was to change my point of view that my point of view was correct and everyone else was wrong. I can be very stubborn, but now at least i am aware that i see thing differently than most, and i keep that in mind.

I’ve been thinking about this very thing. I suppose I’ve always thought that if I couldn’t understand something, then it didn’t make sense. Now I know that I’m more different from other people than I realized. There may be things that others understand, but that I’m not capable of understanding and vice versa. If someone else’s perspective doesn’t make sense to me, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t make sense. Does that make sense? Still trying to internalize it.

New Threads

Top Bottom